Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Foods you have NOT learned to love  (Read 6571 times)

• Liked: 223
Re: UK Foods you have NOT learned to love
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »
Try M&S lightly salted tortilla chips.  Can get on offer 2 bags for £2.  Not cheap but not greasy and the best I've found.  Gluten free which is a bonus in our house!

Cheers! I'll give them a try. :)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »
My husband said he can't get corn tortillas like they have here, that makes me a little sad.  I haven't seen many ethnic food choices where I will be and that makes me sad too, I really hope to find a good Thai place.  I do like black currant jelly, a coworker introduced me to it.

I don't get the chip buttys or whatever, my husband is part Irish, I get they like potatoes but...a sandwich with just fries?  I get doing that with burgers for crunch, but on it's own I don't know.  I have not tried it so shouldn't really judge it yet.

I don't like blood pudding, husband is determined to get me to like it.  He said he found a sausage that has it mixed in so he hopes I will like that and eventually like blood pudding.

I don't really like fish and chips...maybe I'm not much of a fish person, I don't know...maybe I want a more flavorful batter?  Husband says it's all about the delicate taste of the fish and the batter should overpower it...but the fish doesn't taste like much to me....maybe I will learn to enjoy it.

Going to miss good guac and I hope avocado is the same as here, not sure what to expect fruit wise...I want delicious mangos, which unfortunately not even US has, so prob can't expect it in the UK.

Have a good long cuddle with some local avocados before you leave.  Even though we are close to Spain, avocados, tomatos, and onions can leave a lot to be desired.   :\\\'(

• Liked: 533
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2017, 09:32:27 AM »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2017, 09:38:11 AM »

• Liked: 537
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2017, 09:47:31 AM »
Ohhhhh i love bisto

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Bisto is nice to thicken up a beefy stew, but I'm not impressed with it as a gravy. My mom always made homemade and Bisto just doesn't compare.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 82
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 11:52:47 AM »
Bisto is nice to thicken up a beefy stew, but I'm not impressed with it as a gravy. My mom always made homemade and Bisto just doesn't compare.
nothing compares to homemade

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2017, 12:40:17 PM »
I love this cake!

Me too!!

Yum, this lady at my church makes the best tres leches cake I have ever had anywhere, she made a huge one for my bday once, I will miss her cakes.  Husband loves her cake too..loves her...says I need to learn to cook from her  :\\\'( :p
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »
My husband said he can't get corn tortillas like they have here, that makes me a little sad. 

You'll probably need to order them online from Lupe Pintos or Mex Grocer.  Some supermarkets sell an Old El Paso tortilla which is a mixture of corn and flour, and I think they're rather nice, but wouldn't work for every recipe.

The hass avocados taste just the same, but the ones you buy in the shops take a long time to ripen, so you need to buy them like 5 days before you actually want to eat them.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 01:13:50 PM »

You'll probably need to order them online from Lupe Pintos or Mex Grocer.  Some supermarkets sell an Old El Paso tortilla which is a mixture of corn and flour, and I think they're rather nice, but wouldn't work for every recipe.

The hass avocados taste just the same, but the ones you buy in the shops take a long time to ripen, so you need to buy them like 5 days before you actually want to eat them.

Ooo thanks for the info.  I think his aversion to avacados was that he didn't know what he was doing and wasn't letting them ripen.  He used to not like avocado, it wasn't until his latest trip here in Dec that he gave guac a try and decided he like it.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/JNsKvZo6MDs[/youtube]
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »
Ooo thanks for the info.  I think his aversion to avacados was that he didn't know what he was doing and wasn't letting them ripen.  He used to not like avocado, it wasn't until his latest trip here in Dec that he gave guac a try and decided he like it.

Even the avocados that say 'ripe & ready' on the labels are NOT ready.  Almost, but not quite.  You shoud let him know also that he needs to be buying the black knobbly-skinned ones, not the smooth green ones.

And the pre-made, store-bought guac is disgusting.  You've got to make your own, always.  I'm sure you know this, but well-meaning husbands and boyfriends might not be aware!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »
Luckily my husband makes amazing guacamole, and we plan it out ahead of time so we know to buy avocados days ahead and let them get ripe.

We have been able to find most of the ingredients for homemade Mexican food here but sometimes have to go from store to store.  Luckily we have two Sainsbury's, a big Tesco, Morrison's, and Asda all within walking distance so if something is kind of rare we can always find it somewhere else.  (Like when courgettes weren't anywhere a couple months ago!)
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 11
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 08:37:08 PM »
With haggis and presumably the other offal sausage-y things, there is a huuuge range of quality. Also, for people who don't like the taste, not just idea, I think it might be the lung (sorry it grosses me out too). I made my own in the States without lung, since it is illegal here, and it was delicious and didn't seem gross.

I love the carb-on-carb chip roll thing. But burgers in Scotland at least were an abomination. People obviously just like them different. It might be the mince grind, and it doesn't help that they're well done, but they were like eating rubber that somehow tasted pungent but not beefy.

And warm ale is still disgusting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2017, 12:28:59 AM »
With haggis and presumably the other offal sausage-y things, there is a huuuge range of quality. Also, for people who don't like the taste, not just idea, I think it might be the lung (sorry it grosses me out too). I made my own in the States without lung, since it is illegal here, and it was delicious and didn't seem gross.

I love the carb-on-carb chip roll thing. But burgers in Scotland at least were an abomination. People obviously just like them different. It might be the mince grind, and it doesn't help that they're well done, but they were like eating rubber that somehow tasted pungent but not beefy.

And warm ale is still disgusting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
You find that pungent issue around the UK as well.

It's why I didn't eat burgers much for over a year... The first e I had were so gross. Some of the other cuts of beef have the same problem for me.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
I hate the typical British burger. They are tasteless, look grey at best and like a stringy mess if you cut them open and look inside. Maybe I never get a decent burger but that's what they look like to me! I may also be very, very picky because I was raised around the barbecue and have watched my dad either make burgers from scratch or get the pre-made ones from Publix that still at least looked like it was made of mince. Here, I rather a burger from McDonald's if I'm honest (or preferably...Five Guys!). I always make my own at home rather than frozen or pre-made ones.

I dread British barbecues where it's burgers and "hot dogs" on offer.

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »
The burgers here have a lot of fillers in them.  I actually don't mind them, as I just plain love a burger.  It's the buns that crumble and fall apart that annoy me more than the actual patty.  And I love the brilliance of adding an egg to a burger.  Yummmm.

I miss the thin burgers that would be a bit crispy around the edges.  Mmmmmm, yummy.....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:45:35 PM by KFdancer »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab