Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Foods you have NOT learned to love  (Read 6596 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: UK Foods you have NOT learned to love
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 06:11:34 PM »
I hate the typical British burger. They are tasteless, look grey at best and like a stringy mess if you cut them open and look inside. Maybe I never get a decent burger but that's what they look like to me! I may also be very, very picky because I was raised around the barbecue and have watched my dad either make burgers from scratch or get the pre-made ones from Publix that still at least looked like it was made of mince. Here, I rather a burger from McDonald's if I'm honest (or preferably...Five Guys!). I always make my own at home rather than frozen or pre-made ones.

I dread British barbecues where it's burgers and "hot dogs" on offer.

Totally agree. You should try Byron burger. They're lovely. And have really nice shakes and fries. Damn, I'm hungry...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
Totally agree. You should try Byron burger. They're lovely. And have really nice shakes and fries. Damn, I'm hungry...

I think you mentioned that before and I am dying to give it a try, especially since I think they have cream soda!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »
I saw a menu once that described the restaurant's burgers as being made to the chef's own recipe. and went on a wee rant about how there is no 'recipe' for a burger... it's meat!  You mould it into your desired shape, season with salt & pepper and cook to the desired level of done-ness.  There is nothing more that needs doing!  GRRRRR!!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2017, 06:57:54 PM »
I saw a menu once that described the restaurant's burgers as being made to the chef's own recipe. and went on a wee rant about how there is no 'recipe' for a burger... it's meat!  You mould it into your desired shape, season with salt & pepper and cook to the desired level of done-ness.  There is nothing more that needs doing!  GRRRRR!!

Preach!

• Liked: 21
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2017, 07:39:01 PM »
For me, the simpler the burger the better. I don't care for thick burgers, esp. the ones with a bunch of toppings added. I like a thin patty, slice of cheese, pickles, with ketchup or mustard. Yum!
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 537
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2017, 07:42:50 PM »
I think you mentioned that before and I am dying to give it a try, especially since I think they have cream soda!
Yeah, they're my favourite. They have over 52 locations here in the UK now. I had an Oreo cookie shake the other day. It was amazing.

For me, the simpler the burger the better. I don't care for thick burgers, esp. the ones with a bunch of toppings added. I like a thin patty, slice of cheese, pickles, with ketchup or mustard. Yum!
That's Byron burger exactly. And they cook theirs medium unless otherwise requested. AND they have France's mustard.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »
I remember asking for a burger medium rare when I first moved here and the waiter looked at me like I'd asked for a slab of raw meat.

Is it just me or do all British traditional holiday cakes taste the same? It's just a variation on raisins, sultanas, currants and the same spice profile. I made an offhand comment to this effect once and I will never do it again - I think I really offended my friends!

• Liked: 68
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2017, 08:54:18 PM »
Yeah, they're my favourite. They have over 52 locations here in the UK now. I had an Oreo cookie shake the other day. It was amazing.

Oreo cookie shake  :o I was sold anyways on the place but now I'm desperate. I for some reason don't care for Oreos on their own but love, love, love shakes and ice cream that are "cookies and cream."

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2017, 11:18:49 PM »
I remember asking for a burger medium rare when I first moved here and the waiter looked at me like I'd asked for a slab of raw meat.

Yeah, a burger is a burger here - you don't get any say in how it's cooked.

The first time in the US that I was asked how I wanted my burger cooked, I was shocked... I was like 'Can they do that? Don't all burgers have to be cooked the the same amount? What if I get food poisoning?' :P

I'm used to it now though - and kind of wish UK restaurants would do the same.

Is it just me or do all British traditional holiday cakes taste the same? It's just a variation on raisins, sultanas, currants and the same spice profile. I made an offhand comment to this effect once and I will never do it again - I think I really offended my friends!

Lol - I'm not a fan of cakes with sultanas/currents in them, so I rarely eat the holiday cakes.. but I agree, they do seem to have similar tastes :P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 111
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2017, 12:13:15 AM »

Yes!

I asked for medium for my burger and the server at TGI Fridays must have thought I didn't understand English because he kept asking me if I was sure I wanted my burger "medium". After a few minutes, he brought his manager to the table to inform me that due to health and safety reasons, all burgers had to be made well-done. That was decades ago and I thought it had surely changed by now. I guess not

I don't get the fruit cake for wedding cake either. Years and years ago, back in December of 1994, my husband (then boyfriend) told me about his brother's wedding plans for June 1995. He said that his Mum was so thrilled that she immediately began on the wedding cake. I thought I heard incorrectly until I spoke with said Mum and she said that the two tins in a cabinet were for her son's wedding. I laughed and thought she was joking and I may have said something rude like, "Eww, gross!" and she was very upset. I apologized but I told her that I'd never heard of someone making a cake so far ahead for a wedding. I'm thinking that there is the reason why my BIL hates me so much. I guess I offended his mother and him since it was his cake. But seriously, "Eww. Gross!" Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
and she was very upset.

You should have tried the old, "Where I'm from, that means tasty!"
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
I've also had the "due to Health and safety we have to cook all burgers well " .  Obviously this isn't a government rule because all the new trendy places cook it however you want.  British people love to make up rules for their own convenience, then blame it on Health and Safety. 

Whoever was asking about mangoes, you are in luck!  Asians (and I mean Indian and Pakistani people, not Asians like they mean in America) love mangoes and buy tons of them.  There's always decent mangoes in many grocery stores.  Tesco sells them by the box of 20! 

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »
All you Black pudding haters should try it with eggs, get a fork full of black pudding and add a few eggs, eat it all in the same bite. 

Also, Haggis is fine if you eat it like sausage, fried in the morning.  In fact, it tastes a lot like Jimmy Dean sausage!  I'd bet money that Jimmy Dean sausage is full of everything that scared you in Haggis, probably lungs and stomach and butts. 

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
I don't like baked beans, and hate having them all over my full English. 

I also dislike Yorkshire pudding, what's point of that when you've already got potatoes? 

The thing I hate the most is when you have an event where people are asked to bring some food and they bring all that nasty pre made supermarket junk.  Cheap sausage rolls, quiche and cocktail sausages do not count!   Don't bring that junk to my picnic. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »
I'm a big fan of most of the stuff on this thread, but things I really don't like are:

Custard powder/custard from a tin (has to be homemade for me and cold, like in trifle, because I think warm custard is disgusting - I've had it in a michelin starred restaurant and still didn't like it)
Lorne sausage (because it's just grizzle and bits to me)
Mealy gross bready filler sausages and pastries filled with such grossness (like a Ginster's cornish pasty)
Broad beans
Jaffa Cakes

J used to say he didn't really like burgers. Until I started making them. He wanted to know why mine tasted good.  Because I don't use any crap in mine, just beef and seasoning and cooked to perfection (pink in the middle)    ;D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links