Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oh Gosh, this has been fun (not!) California to Glasgow  (Read 1086 times)

• Liked: 680
Oh Gosh, this has been fun (not!) California to Glasgow
« on: April 08, 2017, 04:43:37 PM »
We had signed a contract with a company that does self-packs or traditional movers two months ago for a pickup on April 17. I was splurging on a traditional move - they do the schlepping down our stairs. Their local subcontractor came and did the survey three weeks ago. Two weeks ago I got word from the company that the survey was quoting twice the amount of stuff and so they were going to charge twice the fee we'd agreed on. We have 160 cubic feet of packed boxes (uniform size) sitting against a wall in my living room, and 5 pieces of furniture, none of it huge. The surveyor padded the hell out of his report, adding items he was told we were not taking, adding additional large boxes (and a lot of them). I  tried to contact the surveying company after the walk-through, but before the revised price tag, to ask questions, and never got a response.  Of course, we never got a copy of the survey until the Big Company who was contracting them emailed to change our shipping arrangements to a 20 ft container. It's a good thing I normally have low blood pressure or I'd have had a stroke.

On to plan B. Self-service move with the same company, arrangements made two weeks ago - we pack it on pallets/crates, they come get it. Contract signed.  Last Wednesday said company informed us they could not get their truck in to our apartment complex to pick said pallets/crates up. Can we have them somewhere else. (As if I can lift them? I should move the pallets out 400 yards to the street  and then take our stuff a box at a time out there? To where, out to block a sidewalk of a busy street where anyone coming buy could walk off with a box? And leave it unattended over night? Really? They ONLY use 18 wheelers? A 20 ft U-Haul can do donuts in our street, but they only use 18 wheelers.)

On to plan C.  Same company offers us self-move if we bring the stuff and pack at their terminal. Just over $6,000 for up to 420 cubic feet of space. We deliver and pack it, they deliver it to ground level on the other end and into our apartment.  I'm a tetris-master from having loaded many U-Hauls for cross country moves, so, ok, this means we can bring more than we planned. At this point, I'm just relieved to have somewhere to put our stuff, since we have 3 weeks to be out of our apartment, and there are no self-store units available nearby that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. TOR list has been sent to the UK, hope to have a number by the week of the 17th, and, while frazzled, am surviving our "easy" move. It only needs for the contract to be signed on Monday.

So much for hiring a mover for my retirement move, as I'd always planned. I had wanted, just once, to not be basically "packing the U-Haul" myself.   The closest I'm going to get to that, I guess, is hiring some guys to come load the U-Haul, which I will drive one last time and unload (always easier to unload) and "self-pack".  ::)

This morning I got a quote back from a "family owned" operation, Global Relocations, Inc.
Northridge , CA, that is giving me a quote of about half the cost of the big guys, they will come get our stuff upstairs (I don't have to schlep it to a U-Haul and self-load) and then take it into an apartment on the other end up to the second floor.

I have had minimal sleep and too much stress. My thoughts are:  the big guys have enough of a presence that it's unlikely they'd do anything other than what is in their contract, or change the price.  The "Family Owned" guys could take our stuff and then hold it ransom. Not saying they would, but I don't know enough about them to say it's not likely.  Our stuff has minimal monetary value, much sentimental value.

So, I am completely out of adrenaline, my cortisol levels are eating the walls of my arteries, and I would like to hear people's thoughts on my decision to remain with "the big guys" who have an established reputation.  I consider it sort of like paying $3,000 in insurance on our "stuff" to make sure it actually gets there. I wonder if it's worth seeing if they'll come down in response to the competing quote?

Also, anyone have a clue about how much movers in Glasgow charge to bring stuff up a flight of stairs, if we end up in an elevated ground floor, on the floor one up, or down the stairs to a basement? Our delivery is for "into ground level" - and it's probable we'll end up in an elevated ground or possibly a basement. We can get it all in ourselves, but really prefer to have some guys do the furniture.

On the good side, my jeans are all now dragging the ground, which means I've lost weight schlepping boxes around.   ;D   On the bad side, I just bought a half-dozen of the old size to take with me.... "Dear Amazon, I'd like to return these...."  AND, I get to retire in 3 weeks, so I'm not working 50 hour weeks while managing an international move after that point!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:54:58 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 223
Re: Oh Gosh, this has been fun (not!) California to Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 09:17:52 PM »
Yikes!

I didn't have to move much from the US and I don't envy the people who do. It always sounds complicated and stressful.

Good luck getting everything across the pond. Pretty soon you'll be settled in the UK and have other things to worry about.  ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 585
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »

Also, anyone have a clue about how much movers in Glasgow charge to bring stuff up a flight of stairs, if we end up in an elevated ground floor, on the floor one up, or down the stairs to a basement? Our delivery is for "into ground level" - and it's probable we'll end up in an elevated ground or possibly a basement. We can get it all in ourselves, but really prefer to have some guys do the furniture.

2 years ago I moved from a 2nd floor flat  in Glasgow, 25 miles down the road to a 2nd floor flat in Helensburgh.  I used a site called AnyVan.com, where you input your requirements, and various firms/people bid for the job.  If I remember correctly, I paid something like £125, and on the day, 2 guys with a big van turned up and did the job, with no issues.  We felt guilty they were doing it for so cheap (that's a lot of stairs) so I think my partner tipped them each about £40 (!!), but we felt it was well-earned.  Hope that helps a bit.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »
Albatross, most helpful, thanks!

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 07:58:24 AM »
Update - said company, the original self-pack, was a wash. When we went to "their" terminal to load our pallets, etc., the terminal disavowed any knowledge of them and said there was nowhere we could do that pack up - they turned out to be a sub-contractor only who accepted packed pallets for shipping. 

After many calls back and forth between myself and the self-pack, and the self-pack the terminal, we were directed to a small area just off their property in front of the trash dumpsters and told we could pack our pallets there.  We fought with the U200 crate assembly for some time in the wind, and then as we were getting ready to load it up the terminal guy came out and said we'd have to move our (17 ft) truck much father away and shuttle the contents over to the stripped "loading zone."  It was not possible to actually load out there, so we gave up and went with another mover who I'd found as a backup. Thank goodness they were able to schedule us in, as it was Wednesday when we had the loading fiasco and we had to be out the following Tuesday. 

The new company contracted with Sullivan Movers in San Diego, who I cannot recommend highly enough.  Our stuff was in the U-Haul for three days, and then we made arrangements with Sullivan to bring it down to their warehouse on that Saturday and their guys unloaded, repacked the furniture (overseas wrap) and loaded it all into sea crates.  All of which cost less than the self-pack company would have cost us with us loading our own pallets/crates at their terminal.

Went a round with the self-pack, as they were balking at returning the full shipping charge, but my lawyer sent a note and the charges were reversed the next day. We are out the deposit on the pallets, although they say they'll refund 3/4ths of what we paid, because the shipping cost of getting the pallets back to them is more than what they'd refund. Lawyer is discussing that with them as well as the cost of the U-Haul and the crew we hired to load it, but we are not hopeful. If I was still in California we'd take them to small claims court but it's not practical to do so from the UK, so.... lesson learned.

Anyway, our stuff is slow-boating it here and should arrive in a few months. I was pleasantly surprised to find a good flat on our second day of looking and we are now moved in (camping, pretty much). Took a bus journey to Ikea and they delivered enough furniture for us to manage here before we left the hotel. Am now relaxing and enjoying the heck out of being in Glasgow....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:07:25 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »
Anyway, our stuff is slow-boating it here and should arrive in a few months. I was pleasantly surprised to find a good flat on our second day of looking and we are now moved in (camping, pretty much). Took a bus journey to Ikea and they delivered enough furniture for us to manage here before we left the hotel. Am now relaxing and enjoying the heck out of being in Glasgow....

I was wondering how you two were getting on!  Glad you found a good place quickly!

If there's anything you need, give me a shout...   :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:31:35 PM by Albatross »

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 03:00:23 PM »
A universal translator would be helpful.  ;)

The guys from Ikea just came to replace some furniture that was damaged in shipment and I couldn't understand 1/3rd of what they said. (Sigh.)  Daughter had gone out to visit some friends and left me to fend with the linguistic wilds all on my own. And the delivery company just phoned and was saying something about having too many boxes left on their truck, (I think) and was I missing anything. Dear God, I hope not as I don't want to have to phone them back and try to understand the guy again.... am going to play "deaf old lady" and make the Daughter do it tomorrow.

We're not far from the Botanic, in a lovely neighborhood in a flat that's half of what it would have cost in San Diego and much nicer than where we'd been living. Have been cooking at home every evening from our choice of the fresh produce in the stores and it's just lovely.

Still not used to it being light at 10pm and 4am yet, though. Have the radio and found a lovely old book store near Otago Street and have enough reading to hold me over.  Finally got Internet yesterday (so many things require it now!) and am off on Monday to get a bank account. I took in my lease to RBS last week and they would not accept it as documentation of where we live, but I've now got something official from the power company so hopefully that will do it. Daughter ordered a television today, and it's due to arrive next week. Not sure I'll watch it much, but it makes it all seem official. (Deal was she bought the tele, I buy the license.)

I'd love to be able to say I missed my job and San Diego, but I'd be a liar if I did. ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:09:25 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 07:58:15 AM »
Still don't miss the job or SD.  :)    Found a vessel tracker and our "stuff" is somewhere between Cuba and Savannah, traveling at 15mph (putt-putt-putt-putt-putt). After Savannah it goes to open ocean on the way to England... Thence up to us. We are told to expect arrival at the end of June. That will be just about right - we've been assembling Ikea bookshelves like mad so we can take the books straight from the boxes to the shelves.  We are comfortable, but it will be nice to have our "stuff" here with us again.

Just to clarify on the disaster move, in case it is helpful to anyone: we had all our stuff boxed up and loaded into our U-Haul when we arrived at the company's "terminal". That was where we were supposed to collect one large crate and prepare the pallets that had been sent to us previously - we had explicit instructions as to how to wrap and label them. As mentioned earlier, said terminal disavowed being affiliated with the shipping company, and said they only received items from it and would allow us to ship packed pallets (etc.) to said company. However, they could not allow us to be on their property to pack the crate/pallets up due to liability issues.

Unfortunately, the shipping company advertised on their website and promised via email that we would be expected to unload our truck and load the crate and pallets at "their" terminal, and had online videos showing how to do it. So, big communications problem between their contracted shipping terminal (not "their" terminal) and the shipping company, and we got shot down by it.

In hindsight, shipping anything of value that can't be carefully boxed by placing it in a cardboard shipping "crate" was probably not the wisest plan of action to have pursued, and we are probably better off as things have turned out.  The movers we eventually used did a full "international wrap-and-pack" of our furniture and other breakables, so they should arrive intact - I'm not sure they would have otherwise. Caveat Emptor.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:56:49 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 60
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 06:17:17 PM »
So glad things seem to have worked out for you, Nan! I'm sure you'll be glad to have all of this mess behind you.

Sponsored Links