Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to pay for TurboTax  (Read 517 times)

• Liked: 149
How to pay for TurboTax
« on: April 09, 2017, 02:31:51 PM »
Just finished my taxes.....can't remember how I paid for TurboTax last year. TurboTax only lets you pay for it if you have a US credit card with US mailing address.....which of course we don't have. I think I may have just used our old address that we moved from and paid with the one US credit card we kept. Any way around this? I was hoping to use our debit card that we kept from the bank we are still using for my pension payments.....but not sure how that would work since we changed are mailing address to the UK with that bank.
Fred

• Liked: 716
Re: How to pay for TurboTax
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
That I said a real pain. I would definitely first try your debit card on your US bank but as you suspect you may well be unlucky that it doesn't take a non US address.

Although we changed our bank mailing address they also allowed us to provide a US address for correspondence so are using our daughter's address. Is this not an option with your US bank?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:02:10 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 04:07:50 PM »
That I said a real pain. I would definitely first try your debit card on your US bank but as you suspect you may well be unlucky that it doesn't take a non US address.

Although we changed our bank mailing address they also allowed us to provide a US address for correspondence so are using our daughter's address. Is this not an option with your US bank?

I guess it's always an option in the future.....but it just isn't a good solution for us. I know less and less people back in the US....a little uncomfortable to ask people I haven't seen in a long time for favours. We might be able to get by with the credit card, although I have no idea what mailing address they still have. We just don't use credit cards......IFFFFF we paid for TurboTax with the credit card last year, that would be the once a year that it gets used. Basically......we don't have a US address, don't want a US address....but unfortunately plenty of places still seem to demand one whether it makes sense or not.
Fred

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 04:31:11 PM »
I just looked on Amazon.co.uk and it looks like you can buy it there, in £'s with a U.K. Credit card

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 05:39:38 PM »
I just looked on Amazon.co.uk and it looks like you can buy it there, in £'s with a U.K. Credit card
Really? You can buy an American TurboTax on Amazon? Hadn't thought to look. Now if we just had a UK credit card......... I am assuming they would take a debit, which we use on Amazon regularly. We just don't shop much so haven't gotten around to getting a credit card. My Samsung smartphone is dying as well so I need to get something to replace it....something smaller preferably (Samsung S5). I am really tempted to just get the Nokia 3310 that is coming out......I only really need phone and text.....but it's nice to have a decent camera with you.
Fred

• Liked: 111
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 05:42:38 PM »
I see you could become the lucky purchaser of a book on how to use TurboTax from Amazon.UK. It's a hard cover and is new, not used (obviously a small premium for the condition).

Price: £2,546.16 + £2.80 UK delivery

Now how could you pass up an offer like that?

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 06:34:47 PM »
I see you could become the lucky purchaser of a book on how to use TurboTax from Amazon.UK. It's a hard cover and is new, not used (obviously a small premium for the condition).

Price: £2,546.16 + £2.80 UK delivery

Now how could you pass up an offer like that?

Probably worth waiting for the paperback edition.  :)

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »
Really? You can buy an American TurboTax on Amazon? Hadn't thought to look. Now if we just had a UK credit card......... I am assuming they would take a debit, which we use on Amazon regularly. We just don't shop much so haven't gotten around to getting a credit card. My Samsung smartphone is dying as well so I need to get something to replace it....something smaller preferably (Samsung S5). I am really tempted to just get the Nokia 3310 that is coming out......I only really need phone and text.....but it's nice to have a decent camera with you.

Last year I bought Turbotax on Amazon.com in the USA, download version.

Much of the time we lived in the USA we had an Amazon.co.uk account using our U.K. bank account Debit card, so you won't have a problem buying Turbotax without a credit card.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 11:45:37 PM »
Just finished my taxes.....can't remember how I paid for TurboTax last year. TurboTax only lets you pay for it if you have a US credit card with US mailing address.....which of course we don't have.
I had the same problem a few weeks ago with TurboTax.  I gave up and used TaxAct instead, which accepts credit cards registered at foreign addresses.

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 06:32:23 AM »
I had the same problem a few weeks ago with TurboTax.  I gave up and used TaxAct instead, which accepts credit cards registered at foreign addresses.

I've noticed quite a few people using TaxAct.....is it as easy as TurboTax? Will it go and download my tax info from Vanguard?

I guess I technically have a couple more months to send the taxes in anyway living out of the US.
Fred

• Liked: 12
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 10:15:45 AM »
I've noticed quite a few people using TaxAct.....is it as easy as TurboTax? Will it go and download my tax info from Vanguard?
TurboTax is more user friendly than TaxAct.  That said, TurboTax doesn't support filing a 5471 (Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect To Certain Foreign Corporations) while TaxAct does.  As for downloading tax info from Vanguard, I don't know for certain, but I suspect TaxAct doesn't support this.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 10:30:41 AM »
TurboTax is more user friendly than TaxAct.  That said, TurboTax doesn't support filing a 5471 (Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect To Certain Foreign Corporations) while TaxAct does.  As for downloading tax info from Vanguard, I don't know for certain, but I suspect TaxAct doesn't support this.

I'm pretty sure Taxact will import a Turbotax return. I was told this a year or 2 ago when TT stopped being free to Vanguard customers and a number of folks I knew were switching to Taxact.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 09:02:10 PM »
Well.....got off my butt and tried to purchase TurboTax which I had finished a few days ago. Using our REI credit card (only one we have) with our old US address......it worked. Not only that.....but TurboTax let me file electronically!! It did not do this last year. Really need to think about switching to TaxAct or something for next year so I can plug in our address etc.
Fred

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab