Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New User From US  (Read 1633 times)

• My Digital Art Site
  • Liked: 0
New User From US
« on: April 09, 2017, 07:17:14 PM »
Hi everyone, gosh it has been a long time since I have been of a forum of any kind so hopefully my form is still alright.

I am so happy to see this site exists and I have lurked here a few times for answers but I figured I'd finally go for it and sign up!  :D

I am a California born American who met a Geordie(Newcastle) while he was studying abroad in San Diego (my home county). We met in early 2012 and have been together for five going on six years now doing the typical back and fourth. I moved to Tucson, Arizona to finish school the same year we met after he went back home.
We have both been doing college/university so getting together was not really an option until this year because I graduate next month. He has an MA in International Politics and Peace Studies. I on the other hand am looking at an AAS in Digital Art Multimedia and possibly a future BA in Illustration.

I have lived in the US my entire life, but always imagined myself living in another country in the future because I enjoy moving around. After meeting my now bf we quickly decided I would be better off moving to the UK and not visa-versa. Especially considering his job is more specific to the UK and mine can be done anywhere.

I am really nervous about coming to the UK to become a citizen I want to do everything I can to immigrate properly. That's why I am here, also I'd really like to get to know others stories and meet others in similar situations. Feeling like you are not alone can really help!

Thank you for reading!

-Kelly

• Liked: 4985
Re: New User From US
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »
Welcome!

Unfortunately the only real option will be marriage for long term but hopefully that is something you guys are wanting and ready to go for.  Are you guys familiar with the financial requirements for the visa?

• My Digital Art Site
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »
Thank you for replying first off.
That's exactly what we are looking at don't worry!

We have been doing research on the best way for me to come over and marriage seems to be the answer. Now we have talked about it and we are willing to go the Fiance route the problem is the gov.uk site is very hard to understand!

As far as I know he has to be making at least £18,600 a year, with a new job on the way he should be able to reach that goal soon.
I feel like a mooch because he will have to be the main earner until I can get citizenship or a work visa. From what I have heard I can't even work until I gain full citizenship? Which is frustrating to me having a high work ethic and not liking to feel like a financial burden.
Maybe you know if that is true or not?

Besides financial requirements it's hard to know what else I need to do besides the obvious citizenship test, and application process, and marriage.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:27:24 PM »
Thank you for replying first off.
That's exactly what we are looking at don't worry!

We have been doing research on the best way for me to come over and marriage seems to be the answer. Now we have talked about it and we are willing to go the Fiance route the problem is the gov.uk site is very hard to understand!

As far as I know he has to be making at least £18,600 a year, with a new job on the way he should be able to reach that goal soon.
I feel like a mooch because he will have to be the main earner until I can get citizenship or a work visa. From what I have heard I can't even work until I gain full citizenship? Which is frustrating to me having a high work ethic and not liking to feel like a financial burden.
Maybe you know if that is true or not?

Besides financial requirements it's hard to know what else I need to do besides the obvious citizenship test, and application process, and marriage.

Hello and welcome!  :)
You have things a little out of order. Citizenship will be the last step and that won't be until you've spent 5 years in the country.
If you marry in the US and apply for the spouse visa, you'll be able to work right away. :)

• Liked: 170
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 08:28:49 PM »
You can work on a spouse visa - your earnings can contribute to the £18,600 financial requirement at the renewal stage after the first 2 and a half year visa...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »
You can't work on a fiancé visa (or use the NHS, or volunteer, or anything really).  But as soon as you marry and switch to the spouse visa (called FLR(M)), you can work.   :D

A lot of people decide to marry in the US (or a third country) and skip the fiancé visa.  That way they can jump right into life in the UK (plus the rules for getting married in the UK are rather restrictive).  It also eliminates the cost of an extra visa, plus you can use the NHS straight away, etc.  Just a bit easier.

But where to marry is a very personal decision and you two need to do what's right for you.

• My Digital Art Site
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 09:28:53 PM »
Hello and welcome!  :)
You have things a little out of order. Citizenship will be the last step and that won't be until you've spent 5 years in the country.
If you marry in the US and apply for the spouse visa, you'll be able to work right away. :)

Wow I didn't even know that(US marry to spouse visa) was an option I will consider discussing that with him soon!
I would really like to be able to contribute to finances as soon as I can so this may be a great option.

Thanks for the info :D

• My Digital Art Site
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »
You can work on a spouse visa - your earnings can contribute to the £18,600 financial requirement at the renewal stage after the first 2 and a half year visa...

That is excellent information thank you!

• My Digital Art Site
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »
You can't work on a fiancé visa (or use the NHS, or volunteer, or anything really).  But as soon as you marry and switch to the spouse visa (called FLR(M)), you can work.   :D

A lot of people decide to marry in the US (or a third country) and skip the fiancé visa.  That way they can jump right into life in the UK (plus the rules for getting married in the UK are rather restrictive).  It also eliminates the cost of an extra visa, plus you can use the NHS straight away, etc.  Just a bit easier.

But where to marry is a very personal decision and you two need to do what's right for you.

This is so good to know it could really save us trouble and waiting even longer. I don't need NHS yet but I'm glad it's there I would however love to have a job asap.

I have lots to discuss with him now and I'm even trying to get him to make an account to help him answer any questions of his own.
Thanks so much this actually gives me more hope for our future.  ;D

• My Digital Art Site
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 09:35:45 PM »
Does anyone know what I need to get the spouse visa, is it just a marriage certificate from the US?

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 09:45:48 PM »
Does anyone know what I need to get the spouse visa, is it just a marriage certificate from the US?

Lots of stuff!

All depends on the financial category you apply under.  Sounds like he'll qualify based on being at the same company making more than £18,600/year.

Copied this from another post:
APPLICANT
- Printed Online Application form.
- Printed and completed VAF4a Appendix 2 form
- Applicant's passport
- Passport photograph
- stamped biometrics confirmation sheet (after she has attended the appointment)
- return shipping label

SPONSOR
- certified copy of only the photo page of your passport
- letter of confirmation for the visa:
Paragraph 1: how you qualify to be her sponsor (your IK citizenship)
Paragraph 2: how you meet the financial requirement and which category you are applying under
Paragraph 3: where you will live in the UK
Paragraph 4: brief relationship history... no lovey-dovey stuff, just facts: date you met, date you got engaged, date and location of the wedding, how you keep in contact (visits, emails etc.)

FINANCIAL/EMPLOYMENT
- Payslips from my employer for 6 months showing a gross annual salary of over £18,600 (every payslip must be at least £1,550 before tax - if not, you will need 12 months of payslips for category B)
- Official bank statements printed by the bank for previous 6 months(you only need 12 months if you're applying under category B)
- A letter from your employer, dated no more than 28 days before the online application date, stating ALL of the following:
1) current employment and salary
2) length of employment
3) length of time earning current salary
4) type of employment

Optional but recommended:
- Original signed contract of employment containing salary.
- Latest P60

ACCOMMODATION
- Tenancy agreement at new place of residence
- Supporting letter from landlord stating they have no objections to you living with your spouse when the visa is granted.

PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP
- Marriage certificate
-  1 or two photos of just you and your spouse together
- boarding passes/e-tickets from trips to see each other
- any physical cards/letters you've sent each other
- 1-2 pages of screenshots of Skype call logs... just select maybe 1 or 2 per month for the last 2 years and paste into a list
- 1-2 pages of screenshots of e-mail inbox (no message content) covering the length of your relationship... as above, maybe 1 or 2 per month

And lots of money.  The visas are not cheap!   ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 07:56:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum! I can't answer any of your visa questions as we're here on Tier 2 visas, but we live in Newcastle and LOVE IT. It's SUCH a friendly, fun city. Unfortunately we're moving back to the US this summer so we won't be able to meet up, but I think you'll like it here, as long as you don't expect San Diego weather!

• My Digital Art Site
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 03:33:28 AM »

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 01:53:58 PM »
There are many pdf files that will benefit you, that you'll find here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/chapter-8-appendix-fm-family-members

Met online 2005
Met in person 2015
Engaged 2015