Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Status Check on "To Do" list? What have I missed?  (Read 1231 times)

• Liked: 676
Status Check on "To Do" list? What have I missed?
« on: April 10, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »
Ok, we are now under the 3 week mark until "M" day. :)

The movers flaked and have been dealt with. Stuff is packed, except for the very last items. Waiting now only on the shipping date, which is dependent on receipt of TOR document. (If it doesn't arrive before our goods arrive in the UK, we'll have to pay import tax to get our stuff and then try to claim it back. All our stuff has been "valued" - holy cow, was that a task! - and listed in case we need to do that.)

Suitcases are out, we are laundering now the clothes we plan to pack to take with us.

Already done:

• Visa stamp in daughter's passport. Photocopies of our passports made.
    List of all credit card phone numbers, bank phone number, airline/hotel phone number made and in a safe place.
    Have given notice: at work, to landlord.
    Have made arrangements for direct deposit of pension and other income to USA bank.
    All credit cards paid off.
    Daughter has verified that the bank account she had there while a student is still open and available to us on arrival.
    Set new tax withholding with retirement account (no Calif withholding - won't be living here)
    Have set up US mail forwarding service so we still have a USA address (in Texas) and so anything that comes to our old home will eventually reach us.
    Have put house mail forwarding service request in, to be effective the day before we leave.
    Have changed employer insurance to a plan that "works" in UK (will continue in retirement).
    Have VOIP phone service, so we can forward to any cell number we wish.
    Have set cell phones to allow international roaming, until we get local sims.
    Have put travel notice on all cards/bank accounts.
    Have given most of our furniture and other stuff to AMVets, the remainder not shipping will be picked up after our shipping date has come and gone. (Amazingly, my old non-working car was donated to Helen Woodward, a local animal shelter, and they were able to get over $1,000 for it! I couldn't give the darned thing away.)
    Have had dental, medical checkups.
    Have gotten copies of all prescriptions, extra supplies of all medication.
    Daughter's car to be sold on the 20th to a private party.
    Have a rental available on the 22nd for our last week here. (Can use the bus for the 21st.

Still to-do
  • Car insurance we need to cancel at the end of our last week here - is covering rental car.
    Not cancelling internet or electric until the last week, as the last time we moved in-town on a weekend the electric company, which should have shut off service on that Monday did it on the Friday and we were without power during our move out!
    Print copy of e-tickets (we don't have smart phones)
    Call and confirm (again) reservation at hotel in Scotland (we booked months ago).
    Make a preliminary transfer of funds (Transferwise) to make sure we have everything set up properly and that it works ok.

Given the sheer amount of "to do" that was on the list, there has to be something that should have been on it that is not. Do you see anything missing?  At this point, it looks as if once we have shipped our "stuff" out we can pretty much just enjoy our remaining time here.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:05:25 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 8
Re: Status Check on "To Do" list? What have I missed?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 03:31:27 PM »
I don't know your whole story or have any advice, but you sound super organized. Good luck!
7/2000 - Emigrated USA to Canada
4/2008 - Met British partner
9/2009 - Moved to UK on Proposed CP/Fiance visa
12/2009 - Civil partnership
3/2010 - FLR(M)
2012 (? it's all a blur, but "old rules") - ILR
9/2013 - Naturalised/Right of Abode
2/2017 - Cannot leave UK until Canadian passport returned by the Home Office!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 04:17:24 PM »
Nan, obviously you are incredibly prepared but I'm still able to add a few things:

Is there anyone in the US you trust to add to your US bank account as a joint signer?  Or give Power of Attorney to someone?  This kind of thing can come in handy when you least expect it.

Download WHATSAPP on your phones if not already and have everyone you know do the same.  Great messaging service and you can do calls over it as well.

Pack some creature comfort foods in your bags.  Little things like Ziploc sandwich bags and Turkey sized roasting bags can make you happy.   ;)

ENJOY YOUR FINAL FEW WEEKS.  Try not to stress.  Enjoy those get togethers with people you love and will miss.

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 12:17:55 AM »
Nan, obviously you are incredibly prepared but I'm still able to add a few things:

Is there anyone in the US you trust to add to your US bank account as a joint signer?  Or give Power of Attorney to someone?  This kind of thing can come in handy when you least expect it.

Download WHATSAPP on your phones if not already and have everyone you know do the same.  Great messaging service and you can do calls over it as well.

Pack some creature comfort foods in your bags.  Little things like Ziploc sandwich bags and Turkey sized roasting bags can make you happy.   ;)

ENJOY YOUR FINAL FEW WEEKS.  Try not to stress.  Enjoy those get togethers with people you love and will miss.

Hi KF. No, sadly, nobody for the bank account. We don't have smartphones, only the little old candybar phones that do nothing but make phone calls and do texts. (I'm a luddite, I don't even really like having those, but it's necessary.)

The last bit I can do, though - on the way to the store tonight to grab some goodies.  Our mover (the infamous self-move place) shipped our pallets, and they've gotten separated in shipment and won't arrive on time on Monday, so our Tuesday load-in (for which I'd hired helpers and the U-Haul) is now Wednesday. Assuming the pallets all get here.  As a backup, I've contacted a freight consolidator and they are coming later this week to do an survey,and I hope to have an estimate by the following Monday. So if "self ship" bombs out any further, at least I'll have a backup in the wings.  ::)

It'll be a story in 10 years. Right now it's not so good.

This, too, shall pass.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »
If you don't mind me asking what insurance plan did you get.  I am looking at a move and I am trying to get duck in a row.

Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
We went with Vitalilty Health. You can't purchase (apparently) UK insurance until you're in the UK, but once we got settled in and had a bank to direct-debit from, we looked at a lot of plans. Vitality offered online GP consultations and prescriptions, and a number of discounts at local "healthy living" merchants, so we went with them. All the rest in our price range required you see the NHS GP first and all require you use the NHS emergency room for emergencies, and then they'd kick in and start paying.  For my daughter, with every coverage Vitality offered, and no excess, the cost is just over 50 pounds a month.  That's pretty similar to the others, maybe a bit less than some, that we looked at.  The phone video consult option was very appealing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:56:15 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 07:06:29 PM »

And slow cooker bags! (if you use a slow cooker lol) I always forget to grab those when I'm home but they make cleanup time SO much easier!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 08:13:42 PM »
And slow cooker bags! (if you use a slow cooker lol) I always forget to grab those when I'm home but they make cleanup time SO much easier!

I got some of those on my last trip and keep forgetting to use them!!

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »
I got some of those on my last trip and keep forgetting to use them!!

I need to start a list of things I want to take back when I go over there in a few weeks and actually REMEMBER to get them this time! Every time i just keep forgetting! lol
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 07:43:24 AM »

Never heard of these before, but I do use my slow-cooker a lot, so these sound good!  Are they just like the roasting bags you get for the oven?

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »
Never heard of these before, but I do use my slow-cooker a lot, so these sound good!  Are they just like the roasting bags you get for the oven?

yeah they are just the size of the slow cooker (think they come in different litres depending on if you have a larger or smaller one).you literally slip it over the dish(?? is that what you'd call it? haha) so when it's done you can just remove the bag, throw it away, and have a clean slow cooker :D
My, how time flies....

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 09:03:02 AM »
Wow, I'd never heard of them, either! They sound great (as long as they like don't bleed any chemicals or anything into the food....) and it'd be nice to not scrub that pot out again.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »
Wow, I'd never heard of them, either! They sound great (as long as they like don't bleed any chemicals or anything into the food....) and it'd be nice to not scrub that pot out again.

Can't speak as to the chemical thing as I'm rubbish at looking in to that kind of stuff but I don't *think* they do.

Just went to google for you and apparently you can get bags over now! Not sure the quality and how it compares to the US ones, but found this on Amazon

These Reynolds ones - which are now out of stock - are the ones I was getting from the US 
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 27
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »
Great check-list, thank you
-Non-priority spousal visa & son's settlement visa-
Date of visa application: 26 April (27 April GMT) 2017
Visas received: 3 August 2017
-FLR(M) -
Date of visa application: 7 April 2020
Date of IDV app invite: 7 September 2020
Date of IDV completion: 14 September 2020
Additional document email: 7 December 2020
Application result email: 9 December 2020
BRPs received: 14 December 2020