Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things the British do that I admire  (Read 6284 times)

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
Re: Things the British do that I admire
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
The nice weather this past week had me chuckling with appreciation.  I love that everyone breaks out the summer clothes when the sun comes out here.  The smell of barbecues could be smelt for miles!  British people sure do appreciate their good weather.

This is another thing I'm looking forward to. I love the weather there, and am enthusiastic about not dreading May through September and working outdoors in 90-100 degree temps.
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »
The smell of BBQ has been in the air the last few days! It's WONDERFUL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2017, 07:04:46 PM »
This is another thing I'm looking forward to. I love the weather there, and am enthusiastic about not dreading May through September and working outdoors in 90-100 degree temps.

Hi sillybadger.  :)  How are your plans to move here going? Are you getting close to being ready to apply?

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2017, 09:26:16 PM »
Hi sillybadger.  :)  How are your plans to move here going? Are you getting close to being ready to apply?

(waves real big) Thanx muchly for asking ;0)

Depends on how you look at it; we've pretty much figured that having to hinge everything on how fast the house sells to meet the last $17k of the financial requirement is likely to leave us in a timing mess. So now we're looking at Better Half (UK citizen) going back in advance to go ahead and nail down a job that meets the requirement instead of looking for one when we get there.

We also looked at me going over with him on a visitor visa, then coming back here to apply for a settled partner visa. That would mean I wouldn't be able to carry my business over right off, and not being able to work anywhere at all would be inconvenient, but it would give me a window to talk to people first hand and get a better idea about how a niche small business works over there. I already have a few UK clients I've done things for from here in the US, but they're not exactly analytically  minded that way, so to speak.
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2017, 10:13:21 PM »
(waves real big) Thanx muchly for asking ;0)

Depends on how you look at it; we've pretty much figured that having to hinge everything on how fast the house sells to meet the last $17k of the financial requirement is likely to leave us in a timing mess. So now we're looking at Better Half (UK citizen) going back in advance to go ahead and nail down a job that meets the requirement instead of looking for one when we get there.

We also looked at me going over with him on a visitor visa, then coming back here to apply for a settled partner visa. That would mean I wouldn't be able to carry my business over right off, and not being able to work anywhere at all would be inconvenient, but it would give me a window to talk to people first hand and get a better idea about how a niche small business works over there. I already have a few UK clients I've done things for from here in the US, but they're not exactly analytically  minded that way, so to speak.

Yeah, that's a lot to juggle.
I hope you  manage to get it sorted and at least you have a variety of options to choose from.  :)

• Liked: 134
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2017, 10:14:57 PM »

It's finally turned nice here and I love it!  But I have to admit that I miss the extremes.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »
The Liverbirds in Liverpool!   

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2017, 03:39:18 PM »
Soda water with ice and slice

All you have to say in a pub to get a giant glass of ice water for free.  Apparently, this order is taught on day one of Bar tending school so you never have to explain. 

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »
The Liverbirds in Liverpool!

The bird legend, the band, or the TV show?

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »
I was thinking of the actual statues and the legend.  I wasn't aware of the band or the TV show.  What are they like?

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
I was thinking of the actual statues and the legend.  I wasn't aware of the band or the TV show.  What are they like?

The band was one of the very few all girl beat bands of the period; nice crunchy guitar and Pamela Birch blew out the notion that women should be sopranos:

The show was also an early 70's Chick Project when there wasn't so much of that. Classic sitcom set ups with tongue in cheek dialogue:

Sponsored Links