Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Free online tax filing?  (Read 479 times)

Free online tax filing?
« on: April 12, 2017, 08:28:20 PM »
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for filing taxes online for free?

I tried TaxAct and when I get to the part that adds the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, it charges. I've also tried TurboTax, but am not able to proceed when it asks for my spouse's SSN (which he doesn't have as he's British).

I fall under the tax exemption, so won't need to pay — just hoping I can find an easy free way to file if possible.

• Liked: 102
Re: Free online tax filing?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »
If your worldwide income was indeed below $4,050 (the filing threshold) you are not required to file a US income tax return at all.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 09:56:08 PM »
If your worldwide income was indeed below $4,050 (the filing threshold) you are not required to file a US income tax return at all.
guya, wouldn't Head of household ($13,350 filing threshold) also be a possibility if drh pays for over half the cost of keeping up a home and has a dependent(s)?

• Liked: 116
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 11:54:59 PM »
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for filing taxes online for free?

I tried TaxAct and when I get to the part that adds the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, it charges. I've also tried TurboTax, but am not able to proceed when it asks for my spouse's SSN (which he doesn't have as he's British).

I fall under the tax exemption, so won't need to pay — just hoping I can find an easy free way to file if possible.

I did mine today actually.  I used H&R Block online, just the free service (I had to pay $30 for filing state, because I didn't move to the UK til this year).  I left my husband's SSN space blank and then it asks you why there is no SSN--Non Resident Alien is one of the choices.  And then it wasn't a problem, once I had chosen that!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:01:26 AM »
Do you have you file state taxes if you've lived in the UK for five years? I still have a drivers license and bank account in the US but no other assets. It's not clear if I need to file state taxes though.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »
I just tried H&R block and when I try to add the Foreign Earned Income form it wants to charge me $55. Any suggestions of tax filing I can use with this form that doesn't charge? I have been able to in the past on Tax Act and TurboTax but they seem to have changed it.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
This is by far the clearest and most thorough article I have ever seen on State taxation:
https://www.bna.com/uploadedfiles/BNA_V2/Images/From_BNA_V1/BlogPosts/WSTR.October.17.2014.rev.pdf

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab