Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pooping in the UK (sorry!)  (Read 4697 times)

• Liked: 11
Re: Pooping in the UK (sorry!)
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »
Okay. I know a lot of useless facts so please don't judge...

When your poo floats at the surface it means you have a high fat diet generally.

Which is equally as bad as poo that sinks like a stone.

I looked it up once a few years ago. And it's difficult to tell here in the UK with the low water toikets.
Wait so is it supposed to float in mid water column or just sink gracefully?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2017, 03:32:09 PM »
Ugh I already do that. Flushing gives me the same level of panic as driving a manual toward a busy roundabout. Two of many reasons I would never assimilate!

haha I feel like I would be paranoid people would be listening and thinking I'm taking one mother of a dump if they hard me flushing so many times and that would set my anxiety off! haha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 11
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »
haha I feel like I would be paranoid people would be listening and thinking I'm taking one mother of a dump if they hard me flushing so many times and that would set my anxiety off! haha
Yeah exactly. It's horrible. I am also worried I will use up the water or break the inner workings of the toilet. But then maybe they'd get a push button one....

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2017, 03:53:38 PM »
You won't break the inner workings by flushing too much - don't worry! :)

If it looks like you're losing water or the tank has to fill back up, give it a second before trying to flush again.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »
The funny thing is, I've seen so many posts/articles about how hard it is to flush a toilet in the UK, but I've never seen it.

Maybe it's because I spend my time in more modern flats/offices in London. Nearly every toilet I've seen has a button that would feel at home in the US. Once in a pub, there was that lever that I've read about, which needed to be swung with a bit of momentum, not just pressed leisurely. But even that one flushed fine, once I realized the situation. (I suppose as a man, I generally make use of urinals at a pub rather than toilets, so that may also be part of it.)

By contrast, I never saw any previous posts about this skid mark / toilet brush situation, and that's a problem I encounter every damn day.

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »
The funny thing is, I've seen so many posts/articles about how hard it is to flush a toilet in the UK, but I've never seen it.

Maybe it's because I spend my time in more modern flats/offices in London. Nearly every toilet I've seen has a button that would feel at home in the US. Once in a pub, there was that lever that I've read about, which needed to be swung with a bit of momentum, not just pressed leisurely. But even that one flushed fine, once I realized the situation. (I suppose as a man, I generally make use of urinals at a pub rather than toilets, so that may also be part of it.)

By contrast, I never saw any previous posts about this skid mark / toilet brush situation, and that's a problem I encounter every damn day.

I've never experienced it myself either honestly, at least not regularly enough that I questioned if it was the toilets. But that might just be because I've been lucky with where I've gone to do my business haha

I never, however, had a button in the US. Was that just me?? I only ever had the "handle" type style. Didn't even see a button-style toilet until I got to the UK!

Hahahahah definitely never seen anything about skiddies before either and that is probably what gave me the most entertainment! haha Nobody ever questioned it and maybe that's what people should be asking!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 537
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
I've never experienced it myself either honestly, at least not regularly enough that I questioned if it was the toilets. But that might just be because I've been lucky with where I've gone to do my business haha

I never, however, had a button in the US. Was that just me?? I only ever had the "handle" type style. Didn't even see a button-style toilet until I got to the UK!

Hahahahah definitely never seen anything about skiddies before either and that is probably what gave me the most entertainment! haha Nobody ever questioned it and maybe that's what people should be asking!

The only place I ever saw buttons were in public restrooms. And then it's a single button.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2017, 06:09:30 PM »
Wait so is it supposed to float in mid water column or just sink gracefully?

Yeah, kind of. If it hangs out in the water it's best. I really don't remember why I looked it up.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
The flat we're seeing tomorrow seems to have buttons.  I never know when to hold down both or just one as they're in the same little circle?
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
The smaller button is usually a short flush (energy/water saving) and the larger one is long flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
The smaller button is usually a short flush (energy/water saving) and the larger one is long flush.

Saw a sign once that basically alluded to "small button for number 1. Big button for number 2". When in doubt, I just press both! hah

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
Does everyone actually think that this is a UK only thing?  I thought they had a law in the US that required low flow toilets as well. 

I find it hard to believe that the US is Especially good for pooing. 

• Liked: 223
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2017, 10:58:29 AM »
Does everyone actually think that this is a UK only thing?  I thought they had a law in the US that required low flow toilets as well. 

I find the water level in the US (at least at my parent's house) to be much higher than here. In my recollection, higher water level leaves less skid marks since it doesn't land on the bowl and slide, but in the water and gracefully float down. Skidmarks can still be an issue, but not as often.

I don't recall if the flush is different, but the higher water level might prevent the poo from sticking to the bowl, so it flushes easier.

Just my #2 cents. ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 0
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2017, 08:27:54 PM »

This particular problem is definitely far better in the US than the UK, and much of the rest of Europe too, I think. Low flow doesn't have anything to do with the water level in the bowl, which is the cause of this issue.

On the other hand, I think I read that toilets don't get clogged in the UK like they do in the US. That's why in the US every bathroom has a plunger, while in the UK every bathroom has a toilet brush.

I'm no plumbing expert, but I bet those things go hand in hand. The water level is probably set by the amount of bend in the waste pipe, after it leaves the bowl. Small bend means low water level and therefore skid marks, but also means less of a hurdle for all the stuff to clear on the way out, so therefore no clogging. Maybe?

• Liked: 68
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »
We all think we have it bad now...I am learning all sorts about toilets of the past!

I am actually watching...admittedly..."The Toilet - An Unspoken History" right now and it made me think of this thread :-D

Sponsored Links