Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just got a speeding ticket, guess if I'll get another!  (Read 1658 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Just got a speeding ticket, guess if I'll get another!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
I'll let you know if I have to do the course in Wales, maybe you'd like to attend for me?  You'd get your fill of that accent.

"Honey, I'm attending a speed awareness course for someone I know from the Internet tonight."

• Liked: 342
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
Did you notice the article referred to the %10 +2mph rule of thumb?  What bad luck to get a ticket for 57 in a 50.

When will I get a speeding ticket?

This means that most police forces will not prosecute until you’re driving at more than 46mph in a 40mph zone, for example, or 79mph in a 70mph zone. However, it should be noted that the guidance is exactly that, and that the decision over whether to give a driver a speeding ticket or not is entirely at the discretion of individual police forces and officers.

In other words, you can already be prosecuted for driving at speeds that are above the limit but below the suggested threshold.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/the-truth-about-speeding-fines/

I'm not worried about the speed awareness/ insurance thing as I've never been asked and I am almost certain my current insurer told me it was not relevant.

You are meant to advise your insurers each time you get a speeding ticket, to keep your insurance valid. It is up to the insurer whether they will increase your premium and for how long. A speeding ticket can be more expensive than just the ticket.

I thought that link would be about the new mysterious variable fines related to income that come into force today.  I'll be doubly unlucky if my eventual fine falls under that.

That link in this post, is. ;)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »
Not so good for the people who live in that street though. This is why these areas then ask their council to make their street  "permit parking only". Or you hear stories or cars getting keyed.

You know, I think you have identified a giant difference between American and British thinking on this.  When I used to park in Watford for work, I used to get keyed all the time, and even get nasty notes.  Every single time I was parked legally.  I've noticed that the British seem to think that the street in front of their house is their territory and anyone who parks there is fair game for keying.   I find that idea bewildering.  I live right next to the rugby ground and certainly can't get the hump about people parking where it is legal.

Here's a special note to the obnoxious residents of Watford:  Your town sucks and you can kiss my butt.

I only have such venom because once a person put a brick through my back window for parking perfectly legally in what they saw as their private space. I didn't actually care that much as it was covered by insurance, but when my kid saw it he sobbed uncontrollably.  I'm not sure why but it still makes me mad to this day.

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
Back to the ticket, it's been long enough now that I am confident Zi didn't get one on the second trip.  That's great news. 

I'm also thinking that since I sent back the letter saying I was driving , I haven't gotten an actual ticket.   Maybe they decided not to prosecute since it was so close to the limit and I've got a good record.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 06:00:20 PM »
Back to the ticket, it's been long enough now that I am confident Zi didn't get one on the second trip.  That's great news. 

I think it is something like, they have to send a ticket within 14 days? Not sure.

Edit: "If you weren’t stopped by the police for the speeding offence (eg it was caught by speed camera), the vehicle’s registered keeper must be sent a notice of intended prosecution within 14 days. You may have to go to court if you ignore the notice."
https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

I'm also thinking that since I sent back the letter saying I was driving , I haven't gotten an actual ticket.   Maybe they decided not to prosecute since it was so close to the limit and I've got a good record.

;D You wish.

Did you return it with proof of postage?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:26:20 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 210
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 07:21:51 PM »
I think you are both familiar with the Oracle in Reading.  When I was there recently (the day I spent nearly £12 on lunch for one at Five Guys), I was there to drop off my iPhone at the Apple store.  I dropped it off, needed to do an errand in Reading, and then return to collect it.  The minimum charge at the Oracle for parking now is £4!  So my car was probably parked for a total of 1 hour at the most and it cost me £8 as I had two entries and exits.  Absolute rip off!!

If it helps, Five Guys has gotten really expensive in the US, too. $12 for lunch for one here (and that's small everything!).

How is the quality of Five Guys, though? We have that on our list of "places to go when I desperately need a good BEEF hotdog."

And the hospital parking is outrageous. I can't believe patients have to pay, even for ER visits.

My wife paid £50 for less than 2 hours of parking to drop me off at the airport. They even charge a pound just to drive through a drop off/pick up lane! Crazy.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
Last week I got the letter in the mail.  They did give me a ticket and offered me a speed awareness course.  I'm taking it in the same room as the last one three years ago.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab