Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello!  (Read 2685 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello!
« on: April 17, 2017, 03:11:31 PM »
I may be at the wrong forum.  I am an American (not an ex-pat) searching for a Forum with U.K./American interaction to make friends and learn what is going on in the U.K.  I hope I am welcome here, but if not, please redirect me.

Thanks!

Vickie

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
Hi Vickie,
 Yes, you're welcome here. Welcome to UKY  :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:26:18 PM »
Hi Vickie, welcome to the forum!  :)

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
Thank you for your hospitality!  I am a retired (read "old") English college instructor living in the Deep South.  Yes, my focus is Brit lit.  My husband and I love British mysteries and Brit coms, and watch them so much we get curious about what is going on over there.  We're also foodies and should we try Marmite?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 04:44:29 PM »
Thank you for your hospitality!  I am a retired (read "old") English college instructor living in the Deep South.  Yes, my focus is Brit lit.  My husband and I love British mysteries and Brit coms, and watch them so much we get curious about what is going on over there.  We're also foodies and should we try Marmite?

Sure, give it a go.  Just spread it VERY thin on some toast.  A little goes a long way.  My kid would lick it off a wall if it was there.  I'd starve before I tried it again.  It's definitely a love it or hate it!

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 01:30:55 PM »
Hint taken!  I went to amazon.com and saw the Marmite and from the description, can't decide if I'm brave enough.  Now, a "bacon butty" is a different story.  We heard a reference to it on a Brit Com and I looked it up.  Well, being Southerners we had been eating them our whole lives.  I am always interested in where our cultures parted ways and love finding out in some areas, we didn't.  I wonder if the Sothern biscuit is a descendant of the scone.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 01:45:58 PM »
You just brought back great memories of the crispy bacon sandwiches with mayo and lettuce I used to have as a child in NC. 

Unfortunately, a bacon butty is a massive disappointment.  They are made with back bacon, which is more like an over cooked piece of ham.  Not crispy at all.  No mayo, no lettuce, just Some kind of gross sauce that tastes like bitter BBQ sauce.  You aren't missing anything. 

Certainly give marmite a go, you might find a condiment for life.  I think it started out as the yeasty remains at the bottom of the Guinness barrels. 

• Liked: 533
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
I have a big box of Agatha Christie and pull one out every now and then and re-read. The series with David Suchet is one of my favourites.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 01:52:24 PM »
Southern biscuits are not like scones either, scones are made without much lard or grease and are more like dense bread.  You would never put a savoury thing on a scone, certainly not sausage. 

There is a massive row here about wether the jam or clotted cream (thick butter) should be spread first.  I believe it's the people of Cornwall versus the people of Yorkshire.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »
If you are interested in how our cultures parted, Bill Bryson talks about it a lot in his book "Made in America ".  Mostly about language and why some of the words are different.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 01:56:42 PM »
Southern biscuits are not like scones either, scones are made without much lard or grease and are more like dense bread.  You would never put a savoury thing on a scone, certainly not sausage. 

There is a massive row here about wether the jam or clotted cream (thick butter) should be spread first.  I believe it's the people of Cornwall versus the people of Yorkshire.

Haha. No even close jimbocz!
The argument is between Devon and Cornwall. They're right next to eachother. 🤣

And you can get savoury scones, but they have bits of cheese, chives and maybe cooked streaky bacon baked in them. They don't put meats in them like you often do with biscuits.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »
And clotted cream isn't butter! It's a fascinating process to make it. I researched it once for my last job.

Clotted cream is actually made by cooking whole milk (with the cream) at a very low temperature for several hours. If I remember right it's overnight.

Here's a recipe, takes 12 hours for this one.

https://fearlessfresh.com/how-to-make-clotted-cream/

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 02:10:40 PM »

I think it started out as the yeasty remains at the bottom of the Guinness barrels.

Not Guinness... most likely Bass, as I think Marmite originates from Burton on Trent.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 02:17:47 PM »
Not Guinness... most likely Bass, as I think Marmite originates from Burton on Trent.

It does! They're fighting to keep the factories here. I live in a small village nearby.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:19:59 PM by lyonaria »

Hello!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »
Doh!  Schooled by Lyonaria.  Did you just pass your life in the UK test or something?    Whatever that medicine was, keep taking it.

Guinness/ Bass, Devon   /Cornwall, butter/ clotted cream, you guys are splitting hairs
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:26:10 PM by jimbocz »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab