Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello!  (Read 2647 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Hello!
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »
Off topic

Like it's my first time going off topic.   ;)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
I want to know why jimbocz is a blasphemer and thinking that a bacon butty is a major disappointment...   

I bet you'd be disappointed with a pie in a roll too. 

When you've got a hangover, a roll, with fatty, greasy bacon and smothered in brown sauce really cures all that ails you.  Or at least helps you take the hair of the dog a bit easier  ;)

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 11:21:55 AM »
I want to know why jimbocz is a blasphemer and thinking that a bacon butty is a major disappointment...   

Probably too much French food in his life...   ;D  I think he's proper posh.  (watch that'll ruffle his feathers)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
Poor Vicky, she came to this site to talk about Bacon Sandwiches and now the thread has descended to Jimbo bashing.  She must be so sad. 

And Phatbeetle, I'm starting to worry about you, especially if you are eating pie in a roll covered in ketchup from two bottles.  It might be time for an intervention. 

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »
And I know who's posh!  Everyone with a dedicated laundry room please raise your hand.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
And Phatbeetle, I'm starting to worry about you, especially if you are eating pie in a roll covered in ketchup from two bottles.  It might be time for an intervention.

Most likely!!!  ;D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »
And I know who's posh!  Everyone with a dedicated laundry room please raise your hand.

And it's the pride and joy of my house!!  It was my one requirement.  I didn't care how many bedrooms or bathrooms we had - I just wanted a laundry room! 

Vicky, you see, the UK is still in pioneer times mostly.  Most homes have an "efficient" washing machine in the kitchen (yes, taking up valuable kitchen space).  By efficient they mean it uses minimal water and energy to run, yet it's not unheard of for a cycle to be a couple of hours in length on the shortest cycle.  Then you have to drape your clothes and sheets and towels around your house for DAYS in an attempt to dry them in the damp environment here.  Not to mention that due to the hard water, your towels become so stiff they can lean against the wall.  Great for exfoliating the skin though!   ;D

I moved about a year and a half ago into a house with a "utility room" that I have converted to a proper laundry room.  I have a washing machine (that while still earth friendly) has a nice capacity and can do a wash in an hour - actually cleaning my clothes (and more importantly my kids clothes).  I then drilled a 4 inch hole in the side of the house so that I could install a real live dryer.  And it will dry a load in an hour as well.  AND I can have a load in the washer and dryer going at the same time.  While this is normal life in the US, it is down right LUXURIOUS for the UK and I love, love, love it.  Few things make me happier than when my laundry is just a chugging away doing it's thing.

Jimbo doesn't do the laundry at his house.  He doesn't "get" my excitement for my laundry room.   ;)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 01:20:51 PM »
I then drilled a 4 inch hole in the side of the house so that I could install a real live dryer. 

/Facepalm
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:23:51 PM by sonofasailor »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 583
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 02:47:25 PM »
Poor Vicky, she came to this site to talk about Bacon Sandwiches and now the thread has descended to Jimbo bashing.  She must be so sad. 

We're not bashing, we're having hi-jinks, tomfoolery and antics!  ;D

I've never had a roll & pie, but I am no stranger to the pizza crunch supper, which is a battered & deep-fried pizza with chips. 

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 02:59:02 PM »
I've never had a roll & pie, but I am no stranger to the pizza crunch supper, which is a battered & deep-fried pizza with chips.

I feel I need to try this immediately - if not sooner!   ;D

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 03:09:22 PM »
I've heard about battered fried pizza.  Isn't the pizza fried while frozen?

Don't worry about me, it's all good fun.  I do my own laundry though!

• Liked: 583
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
I feel I need to try this immediately - if not sooner!   ;D

Get thee to Glasgow...and don't forget the lashings of salt & vinegar, and a large bubblegum Tango Iceblast!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2017, 10:04:59 PM »
Going to back Lyonaria up and clarify the cream tea debate.

Devonshire Cream Tea: Scone cut in half (preferably a warm scone), clotted cream, strawberry jam in that order. Do not serve butter, do not have milk in your tea, do not collect $200.

Cornish Cream Tea: warm Cornish split (sweet bread roll which is all but extinct), butter, strawberry jam, spoonful of clotted cream.

I am true to my Devonshire roots despite the intervening centuries (1630s was the last time an ancestor of mine lived in Devon) and I slather on that clotted cream.  Rather heretical in my use of milk in tea, though.  The *real* question is whether you eat a sc-own of a sc-on?
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 36
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 12:21:51 AM »
Hi,

*raises hand*

Our dedicated laundry room consists of a extra load washing machine and similar capacity condenser dryer which suits our family well. It's quite compact at around 8x10ft, just enough space for an ironing board but that's usually taken into the adjacent 2nd family room. There's a full height larder freezer in the room too, along with a small drinks fridge with a tiny freezer along with a Wine cooler fridge as well! Two walls are also taken up with lots of stored food (We're an Indian family so lots of flour, lentils, spices etc) too.

In relation to 'houses' then many Indian families love to extend their homes. We're no different and we recently completed yet another round of building work! Our house is a real 'Tardis' (you'll perhaps want to look that Britishness thing up!). Giving away the meaning somewhat as from the road it's a relatively unassuming 1930's semi detached,  we are a family of six - two of whom are 3 years old and 10 months old and one big dog. We're currently configured for 6 bedrooms in the main house, main family/living room, 2nd family/living room, the all important Laundry room, open plan kitchen and dining room/area, dedicated coats/storage/shoe room. Main bathroom, 1 ensuite, 2 small half bathrooms, loft conversion. We have an annexe and 1 room is my bedroom, one is the 3rd living room/family room/movie watching room, an office and a inside storage room and a bathroom. Could turn the other 3 rooms into bedrooms if we wanted to. You can safely say we'd quickly suffocate in houses often described as 'Spacious' in UK property selling listings !!

Vicky - There's plenty of UK and Britishness stuff and a lot of similar threads are on UK-Yankee going back many years and some proper hilarious observations and viewpoints ! Do take a read around ! Not all the stereotypes in the telly programs are true!

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 08:36:39 PM »
Sooooooooo--UK bacon butty not the thin crisp (oh I can smell it now) bacon I am used to.  Now, every now and then my mother-in-law would fry slices of thick bacon--like you could drive nails with them.  Is the Brit bacon more like that?

As for the scones vs. biscuits:  the last scones I made, when they were fresh out of the oven, had that same flavor and smell as my grandmother's biscuits.  As you say, not dense--but that yum was still there.  However, Mamaw's biscuits were just as good the next day but as for the scones--not so much.  Y'all are making me hungry.

Is that Bill Bryson--as in "A Walk in the Woods"?  My whole family loved that book and it's the only thing I have by him.

Agatha Christie fan, hunh?  We love Grantchester, New Tricks, Endeavor, and Father Brown.  After watching intelligent and interesting Brit mysteries, it is so hard to watch these bland American shows.  I think American writers have forgotten how to make characters interesting.

Sponsored Links