Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: driving in uk as usc  (Read 1298 times)

• Liked: 342
Re: driving in uk as usc
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »
I find the thinking + braking time questions ridiculous, annoying, and totally unhelpful. As if I really can judge X number of meters from my car! The 2-second rule actually works and makes sense.

"Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule."

• Liked: 6
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
I finally arrived in England and I am feeling overwhelmed by everything that I need to do plus keep up with work back home, which during this week I have fallen behind on.  I do have a question about this. 

I know I can drive with US license.  If I apply for provisional and once I get it, does it end the US license if I get ot before the 12 month period expires? Does the provisional license require you to drive with a UK licensed adult like the US learner?  I guess I dont want to get a provisional if it will mean I cant drive alone on my US license once I obtain it. 
I guess I need to start looking for a car and insurance, my husband doesn't drive so I am preparing for a hard time getting insured.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:31:23 AM by ConsuelaLemonPledge »
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 3595
driving in uk as usc
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 06:41:54 AM »
No, it doesn't end your US licence if you get either the provisional or the full UK licence.

However, once you reach 12 months in the UK, you are no longer legally allowed to drive in the UK on your US licence... so while it may remain valid, if you have not passed all the UK tests and received your full UK licence, you will not have a valid licence to drive on anymore.

While you are within the first 12 months, you are fully licensed to drive unaccompanied using your US licence (even if you also have the UK provisional).

However, if you do not have your full UK licence by the end of the 12 months, you WILL be treated like a learner driver - L plates on the car, always accompanied by someone over 21 who has held a full UK licence for at least 3 years, no motorway driving.

So, the way to do things is:
- drive on your US licence for now
- apply for a provisional licence ASAP
- start taking some UK driving lessons to learn how to pass the UK tests
- take and pass the UK theory test
- take and pass the UK practical test

If you can get all that done within the 12 months, you will be able to drive as normal the whole time... on your US licence for the first 12 months, then on your UK full licence after that.

In terms of insurance, you may have trouble finding an insurance company that will take into account your US driving history, so it's probably best to shop around/use a broker to find the best deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:42:56 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 09:33:20 AM »

In terms of insurance, you may have trouble finding an insurance company that will take into account your US driving history, so it's probably best to shop around/use a broker to find the best deal.

This was probably the most difficult for me personally. Nobody wanted to take into consideration my US driving history, which was a bummer. But that might have just been my misfortune because I think somebody who used the same insurance as me (it was either General or Elephant) said in the past they had theirs taken into account.

Best of luck!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 210
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 01:05:53 PM »
Read some sample "life in the U.K." Test questions...and unless they are from older editions of the rest (which is doubtful) I could comfortably say I'd rather take the driving test 10 times over before attempting Life in the UK at this point...haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, me too!
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 92
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
Following this - I'll be in the same boat. Please keep us posted on your insurance hunt.

One question--we were told by someone that in order to lease a car we would need a U.K. drivers license which neither of us have...is this true?
Application: April 5 2017
Biometrics: April 13 2017
Received: April 19 2017
Decision email: June 6 2017
Decision: June 8 2017 -- APPROVED! 😊
Arrived in UK: June 24, 2017

FLR(m): Applied standard - 20 Dec 2019
Biometrics done - 13 January 2020
Approved for FLR(m)!  Feb 2020

ILR Applied Super Priority - 12 July 2022
Biometrics (got a cancellation!) -13 July 2022
APPROVED! - 13 July 2022

Next up - Naturalisation application!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 01:25:34 PM »
Following this - I'll be in the same boat. Please keep us posted on your insurance hunt.

One question--we were told by someone that in order to lease a car we would need a U.K. drivers license which neither of us have...is this true?

I think you would have a difficult time getting a lease without UK credit more than anything.  The license thing sounds plausible.  They love rules!   ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab