Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tax accountant recommendations in the UK please  (Read 848 times)

• Liked: 0
Tax accountant recommendations in the UK please
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:32:03 PM »
Hello All - I am a US citizen and UK permanent resident. I've never worked in the US but need help filing my US taxes. My financial situation is relatively straightforward (earn an income through employment and receive no income through other means)but think I should look for an accountant to help me given it is my first time filing.

Can anyone please recommend someone tried and tested? Ideally somebody well priced :-)

• Liked: 63
Re: Tax accountant recommendations in the UK please
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »
Why do you think you need an accountant for a simple, straightforward filing? A good one won't be cheap, and typically will have a minimum charge.

If you have specific questions, pose them here and someone who has been there/done that will likely come along and share their experience. Otherwise, use TurboTax or something similar.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 102
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »
An online tax preparation firm might conceivably be located in China or Russia or store data in an offshore location, so be an unsafe place to send data. If you really need professional advice, there are some excellent US qualified tax advisers located in the UK and regulated in the UK.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »
An online tax preparation firm might conceivably be located in China or Russia or store data in an offshore location, so be an unsafe place to send data. If you really need professional advice, there are some excellent US qualified tax advisers located in the UK and regulated in the UK.
Any suggestions on where to check for a qualified tax firm?  Is there an online listing that shows if they are certified? I've been here a week and think I should start seeking advice as I am working as a contractor for my old employer and have no clue what I need to do right now to make sure taxes are handled...not sure if they are reported/paid when you file a return like back home.  Read online that I may need to register as self employed (not currently working through any entity, just under myself)

I am in Durham county in a small village so figured I will have to venture out to find someone familiar with both.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 06:36:20 PM »
I've done a lot of research on this and talked with many people.

I've settled on Sestini & Co. They are the only people I've talked to who knew what they were talking about.

http://www.sestiniandco.co.uk/ [nofollow]

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab