Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Preparing for a secondary home  (Read 1556 times)

• Liked: 584
Re: Preparing for a secondary home
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »

Also, as a meteorologist, I can tell you that the summer weather in the UK isn't much to write home about. Most Brits leave the country and head for places like SoCal in order to actually see some sunshine and feel some warm temperatures! UK summer temperatures are more like Palm Springs December temperatures and it rains maybe 1 in 4 days (about 2 inches per month).

Average summer highs are 68-70 degrees and we only get maybe 5-10 days per year of temperatures over 75. If we're really lucky we might get 2 or 3 days over temperatures over 80 in a year. There's definitely a reason why your clients have holiday homes in California - it's most likely so they can escape the crappy UK 'summer'.

I come from (roughly) the area where the OP lives, and as soon as I saw Ksand's post above, I had to laugh.  knowing that the OP was wanting to get AWAY from the heat!

all of them come to where I am for the winter specifically, they all leave during summer because it's hell on earth.

I completely understand this! 

But yeah, Ksand and KFdancer's advice is to be heeded... they know their stuff.  :)
(oh btw, OP... I am from Norco... pretty sure you will know where that is!  I had friends in Cherry Valley and Yucaipa, and visited them often when I was a kid.)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »
By the way, Ksand is undoubtedly the smartest person in the room.  Pay attention to what she says about Visas and weather.

The personalised weather forecast she gave me the other week was spot on.  How the local guy got it so wrong, I'll never know!  But glad I listened to her, we had a lovely day outside instead of being stuck inside!

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »
I come from (roughly) the area where the OP lives, and as soon as I saw Ksand's post above, I had to laugh.  knowing that the OP was wanting to get AWAY from the heat!

I completely understand this! 

I completely remember my first summer here.  Was the end of August and I was walking home from work wearing a coat.  And I wished that I had a scarf on.  I actually started crying!  The reality that it was August and I wished I had a scarf hit me full force.  I realised "That was summer.  It's over."  I literally cried.  Lol!

I dont feel like any summer has been *quite* as bad as that one though.  But maybe that's because I now know to plan a summer holiday somewhere warm!  And we do Florida in February each year.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:32:18 PM by KFdancer »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 03:59:39 PM »
And as I looked at the snow coating my garden and veg beds and chicken coop this morning and car cleaned off,  I cried because it was the 25th April. Yay Scottish weather!  ::)

When it hits º20C here (68ºF) , which it usually gets to on a really toasty end of July/beginning of August day it feels amazing and HOT!!!  These are rare days,but oh so nice.

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »
And as I looked at the snow coating my garden and veg beds and chicken coop this morning and car cleaned off,  I cried because it was the 25th April. Yay Scottish weather!  ::)

When it hits º20C here (68ºF) , which it usually gets to on a really toasty end of July/beginning of August day it feels amazing and HOT!!!  These are rare days,but oh so nice.

Today is April 25th.  From Miss Congeniality:

Stan Fields: Miss Rhode Island, please describe your idea of a perfect date.
Cheryl "Rhode Island": That's a tough one. I'd have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.

Down south we are having a very pretty day.  Sorry about the yucky weather in your neck of the woods!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »
We have a lovely Artic maritime flow today which is bringing cold temperatures, thunderstorms, hail and even snow in places :(. And to think, just 5 days ago I was on holiday, sweltering in 36 degrees Celsius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
Today is April 25th.  From Miss Congeniality:

Stan Fields: Miss Rhode Island, please describe your idea of a perfect date.
Cheryl "Rhode Island": That's a tough one. I'd have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.

Down south we are having a very pretty day.  Sorry about the yucky weather in your neck of the woods!

Those screenshots have been all over Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr today.

I love that movie!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 05:32:12 PM »
Albatross i actually live in Beaumont/Cherry Valley :D I akways say jear Palm Springs for ease of recognizing the area though. I see lots of suggestions on here going to do so some more research this evening! Are Brexit voters prone to anti american sentiment? I saw it mentioned that i should look at the numbers.
Bryan Jamison

• Liked: 584
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »
Albatross i actually live in Beaumont/Cherry Valley

I noticed it said Beaumont in your profile!

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 07:45:02 PM »
Are Brexit voters prone to anti american sentiment? I saw it mentioned that i should look at the numbers.

Brits will always tell you to your face that Americans are wanted and such.  "When I said I don't want immigrants, I didn't mean you."  Umm, when we ARE that type of immigrant.

Anyways, my husband and his entire family voted for Brexit....

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 06:49:09 AM »
I would be surprised if a white mid 30's white collar guy was the object of there ire. I am assuming they mostly dislike poor Eastern European migrants who they think are "taking their jobs" I see a lot of that sentiment towards recently immigrated hispanic folks down here in So Cal. Oddly enough I speak Spanish which really throws that type for a loop =P
Bryan Jamison

• Liked: 1891
Preparing for a secondary home
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »
Spanish is different here!  A bit more effeminate and lispy.

• Liked: 82
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »

I would be surprised if a white mid 30's white collar guy was the object of there ire. I am assuming they mostly dislike poor Eastern European migrants who they think are "taking their jobs" I see a lot of that sentiment towards recently immigrated hispanic folks down here in So Cal. Oddly enough I speak Spanish which really throws that type for a loop =P

White female 35 and work on housing, the day the brexit results were announced, I was told twice to "*bleep* off back where I came from. They voted to get rid of me"  and "you are stealing our jobs and benefits, we don't want you here" so no, they don't care where you are from, or what language you speak, not British is not British for those who are anti immigrant.

Sadly, I am not eligible for benefits on my visa, so not stealing benefits. And funnily enough, those that voted based on immigration, were voting in European immigrants, so again not me. But hey ho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 07:07:19 PM »
Spanish is different here!  A bit more effeminate and lispy.

This man would like a word with you:

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 07:45:48 PM »
Sounds like you bumped into some pleasant chaps there lol. Of course unpleasant people can be found everywhere :(
Bryan Jamison

Sponsored Links