Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Registering with Democrats Abroad/other?  (Read 602 times)

• Liked: 116
Registering with Democrats Abroad/other?
« on: April 24, 2017, 02:58:56 PM »
Sorry to specify a particular party, I don't know if the Republicans or anyone have a similar thing.

Have people here registered with the abroad version of their party, to help with voting?  And does that mean you no longer get to vote in the mid term elections/local elections in the last place you were registered?  Right now I'm registered to vote at my parents' house but I live abroad so I'm not sure what I should be doing.  I guess it's not that important right now but I don't want the next election to come up before I know it and miss it.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 82
Re: Registering with Democrats Abroad/other?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 12:21:50 AM »
I went onto my county's election page and registered as an overseas voter. I get my ballot mailed to me and return via post. Not sure about mid term elections, but know I can vote in primaries and general.  I think I have to reregister every 2 years

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 35
Re: Registering with Democrats Abroad/other?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
Here is how to register to vote:

https://www.fvap.gov/citizen-voter

AFAIK you always use the last US address you lived at and you can't change that. This becomes your "voting address". Even if strangers are now living there.

I have to renew this registration every year or two.

I think the Democrats Abroad is more like a club/pressure group.

Note that some states will consider you liable for their income tax (a resident for tax purposes) if you vote for non-Federal offices. I've never gotten to the bottom of it for Arizona, it's a murky area it seems. To be safe I requested a federal-only ballot (my request was ignored...) and so I ignore all the non-Federal offices.

If you need help with registering to vote using the FVAP site post back here. It's pretty easy to do.

Sponsored Links