Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Postal to Premium Upgrade for BRP  (Read 3723 times)

• Liked: 1892
Postal to Premium Upgrade for BRP
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:01:41 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this process? 

My flight to America is May 7 and I'm really starting to worry about not having my passport since I sent it away to get a Biometric Residence Permit. 

It appears that if I request my passport back for travel, I have to cancel my request and forfeit the £360. I don't want to do that. 

If I request to go premium, it will cost me £400 and they will send my passport back within 7-10 days.  This looks like my only option and I need to do it tomorrow.  I'm not even sure that I'll be accepted for the priviledge of doing this as they only accept 5 per day. 

Does anyone have any information about this that I should know? 

Thanks!

• Liked: 3595
Re: Postal to Premium Upgrade for BRP
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:06:51 PM »
All I know about the postal to premium upgrade is that it is possible to do.

I only found out about it a few weeks ago when someone mentioned it on the forum , so I don't actually know of anyone who has actually used it to upgrade their application.

If it's your only option time-wise, I'd say it's worth giving it a go.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this process? 

My flight to America is May 7 and I'm really starting to worry about not having my passport since I sent it away to get a Biometric Residence Permit. 

It appears that if I request my passport back for travel, I have to cancel my request and forfeit the £360. I don't want to do that. 

If I request to go premium, it will cost me £400 and they will send my passport back within 7-10 days.  This looks like my only option and I need to do it tomorrow.  I'm not even sure that I'll be accepted for the priviledge of doing this as they only accept 5 per day. 

Does anyone have any information about this that I should know? 

Thanks!

Would this be an option?

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/apply-for-a-second-passport/required-documents/

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:42:15 PM »
Crap, you still don't have it?

How long has it been?  How long will you be in the US for?

Think it's worth calling your MP tomorrow and see if they can check the status?

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:54:51 PM »
Would this be an option?

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/apply-for-a-second-passport/required-documents/

Thanks, I did consider that.  The problem is that the new passport doesn't have a UK visa in it and conceivably I could get stuck in the US.

The US site says:

"As the temporary passport will not have any UK visas, you must contact the UK Visas and Immigration to find out if you can depart the United Kingdom whilst the visa application is being processed without forfeiting the application and, if so, what documentation you need to take with you to legally return to the United Kingdom." 

The form where you request your documents back is adamant that if you ask for your documents back to travel, you forfeit the application so  it doesn't look good. 

I'll still keep it in the back of my mind as an emergency plan. 

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:00:12 PM »
Crap, you still don't have it?

How long has it been?  How long will you be in the US for?

Think it's worth calling your MP tomorrow and see if they can check the status?

It's been since early March and I'll be in the States for a week. 

The MP thing is not a bad idea but I'm afraid I've left it too late.  If things don't move tomorrow I might do it.  I'd feel strange calling my MP as they aren't really my MP as I can't vote for them.  I'll get over that if they can help me. 

Thanks for the advice though. 

• Liked: 210
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 01:24:35 AM »
It's been since early March and I'll be in the States for a week. 

The MP thing is not a bad idea but I'm afraid I've left it too late.  If things don't move tomorrow I might do it.  I'd feel strange calling my MP as they aren't really my MP as I can't vote for them.  I'll get over that if they can help me. 

Thanks for the advice though.

Even as a non-voting citizen, you're still his/her constituent.

Pardon my ignorance here, but do you have a UK citizen spouse who could make the call? (Sorry if it's not the case...I can't remember your story at the moment.)
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 18
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 02:01:23 AM »
I have a similar question to this, but going the other direction... I'm in the states waiting for my spousal visa. Has anyone obtained a duplicate passport from this side of the pond to travel there as a visitor and then had the original passport (with visa entry stamp) forwarded to the UK?

I realize I'd have to make the request in-person through a center, as detailed here:
https://fastportpassport.com/instructions/second-duplicate-passport-instructions

Not exactly ideal but to pay even more and fill out more forms but I wonder how often people have to do this?

Thanks, I did consider that.  The problem is that the new passport doesn't have a UK visa in it and conceivably I could get stuck in the US.

The US site says:

"As the temporary passport will not have any UK visas, you must contact the UK Visas and Immigration to find out if you can depart the United Kingdom whilst the visa application is being processed without forfeiting the application and, if so, what documentation you need to take with you to legally return to the United Kingdom." 

The form where you request your documents back is adamant that if you ask for your documents back to travel, you forfeit the application so  it doesn't look good. 

I'll still keep it in the back of my mind as an emergency plan.
Visa type: UK spouse settlement 
Application submitted from: USA
Original online application submitted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Biometrics: Friday, April 7 (1st available appointment)
Confirmation Email: Thursday, April 20
Decision email: Wednesday, May 31, 2017
FLR granted Feb. 26, 2020
ILR applied for May 1, 2022
Decision email received August 23rd
Residence permit received August 25th
Next: dual citizenship

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
Well, I just found out this approach is not going to work.  When I sent in my application they sent me back this automated reply:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your request for a premium upgrade for your application.

Unfortunately we are unable to consider your premium upgrade request as the service is now closed temporarily.

If we have already accepted your request we will be in contact in due course.

Regards
Premium Upgrade Team

I have to say that's pretty disappointing. 

It looks like I have two paths, one is a temporary American passport and the other is to contact my MP. 

Does anyone know how I can find out from UKVI what documentation I can take to legally return to the UK?  I don't have any idea who to ask.

In the meantime I'll be calling my MP.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:23:59 AM »
I have a similar question to this, but going the other direction... I'm in the states waiting for my spousal visa. Has anyone obtained a duplicate passport from this side of the pond to travel there as a visitor and then had the original passport (with visa entry stamp) forwarded to the UK?

I realize I'd have to make the request in-person through a center, as detailed here:
https://fastportpassport.com/instructions/second-duplicate-passport-instructions

Not exactly ideal but to pay even more and fill out more forms but I wonder how often people have to do this?

Best to start a new thread as this is completely unrelated to the original.

Entering on a second passport will cancel your existing application as you must be outside the UK when you apply.  Plus you have to enter and get your visa stamped.  So when you go through immigration with the second passport, they'll see you have an application lodged and it'll cancel your current application.

If something has happened and you need to travel to the UK urgently, you can request your application be considered under compassionate circumstances.  Best for your partner to contact their MP to make that happen.  You'll need documentation though.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
Well, I just found out this approach is not going to work.  When I sent in my application they sent me back this automated reply:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your request for a premium upgrade for your application.

Unfortunately we are unable to consider your premium upgrade request as the service is now closed temporarily.

If we have already accepted your request we will be in contact in due course.

Regards
Premium Upgrade Team

I have to say that's pretty disappointing. 

It looks like I have two paths, one is a temporary American passport and the other is to contact my MP. 

Does anyone know how I can find out from UKVI what documentation I can take to legally return to the UK?  I don't have any idea who to ask.

In the meantime I'll be calling my MP.

Oh crappity crap crap.

Do you have a photocopy of your ILR in your old passport?

If I'm honest, I would travel with a second passport and the photocopy of the ILR in the old passport.  Then be super friendly and cool when you clear immigration back in the UK and plead ignorance....

• Liked: 537
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 09:33:43 AM »
Dang Jimbo, so sorry to hear that.

I've got my fingers crossed that your MP can help. Though KFDancer's suggestion might work as well.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
Yes, I do happen to have several scanned images of my old passport and my ILR. 

I might have to take that approach if nothing else works. 

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 09:39:29 AM »
Dang Jimbo, so sorry to hear that.

I've got my fingers crossed that your MP can help. Though KFDancer's suggestion might work as well.

Thanks.  I'm having a quiet meltdown at work.  Even worse, I can't get a signal anywhere in my office, or outside so I can't make the call right now.  I'll start with an email

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 09:47:58 AM »
The worst case scenario would be that they stamp you in as a visitor and you have until XXXX date to present yourself to the Home Office with your ILR documentation (which would be fine as by that point you'll either have received your BRP or you could say, "check your records").

Likely case scenario is they make you sit to the side for 15 minutes while they verify your story, tell you that you aren't supposed to travel without your BRP in the future, and send you on your merry way.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab