Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Postal to Premium Upgrade for BRP  (Read 3721 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Postal to Premium Upgrade for BRP
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 09:55:05 AM »
Thanks.  I'm having a quiet meltdown at work.  Even worse, I can't get a signal anywhere in my office, or outside so I can't make the call right now.  I'll start with an email

I know that feeling. And with patchy mobile service that can't help. I hope it all goes smoothly!!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 10:11:53 AM »
The worst case scenario would be that they stamp you in as a visitor and you have until XXXX date to present yourself to the Home Office with your ILR documentation (which would be fine as by that point you'll either have received your BRP or you could say, "check your records").

Likely case scenario is they make you sit to the side for 15 minutes while they verify your story, tell you that you aren't supposed to travel without your BRP in the future, and send you on your merry way.

That would be fantastic.  I thought the worst case would be putting me back on the first flight to the US. 

Thanks for that, you've calmed me down a bit.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
That would be fantastic.  I thought the worst case would be putting me back on the first flight to the US. 

Thanks for that, you've calmed me down a bit.

No, they won't put you on a flight back to the US.  Well, so long as you aren't a jerk.   ;)

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
Okay, I've just made an appointment at the US Embassy for 2 days before I travel where I am going to try to get a temporary passport. 

I've also written a grovelling letter to my MP. 

Fingers crossed!

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »
No, they won't put you on a flight back to the US.  Well, so long as you aren't a jerk.   ;)

I've failed the jerk test before and learned from my mistakes.  I'll take your advice to heart.

Thanks! 

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
Would this be an option?

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/apply-for-a-second-passport/required-documents/

Thanks for posting that Larrabee, it was very helpful. 

And AV, there's no one in my house whose British that I could get to make the call.  No problem, I got over my shyness and wrote her a letter.  Thanks for pointing out the she is indeed everyone's MP.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »

Thanks for posting that Larrabee, it was very helpful. 

Glad it helped!  ;D

• Liked: 5
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
Jesus, what a hassle :(

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »
In a bizarre twist, my local MP was campaigning outside the train station this morning and I talked to her about getting my passport back.  I'm not expecting much because she was talking about intervening in life and death situations over the course of weeks, and I was talking about flying my kite on the beach next week.  Still, she said she would at least get a status. 

In another stroke of bad luck, she stops being MP next week!   She won't have any strings to pull. 
Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »
In a bizarre twist, my local MP was campaigning outside the train station this morning and I talked to her about getting my passport back.  I'm not expecting much because she was talking about intervening in life and death situations over the course of weeks, and I was talking about flying my kite on the beach next week.  Still, she said she would at least get a status. 

In another stroke of bad luck, she stops being MP next week!   She won't have any strings to pull. 
Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

MP'shave a direct call line to UKVI.  As long as she makes the call (or her intern does), they'll pull your application and process it.  Job done.

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »
I just got a call from the case worker, he's going to call the Home Office this afternoon! 

Funny, my MP Tania Mathias is conservative and when she said I should tell others to vote for her I winced inside.  So, I looked her up on Wikipedia and it turns out she was against Brexit, against Trump's  travel ban and works hard for the rights of refugees not to be tortured.  Seems OK in my book.  If you vote in Twickenham give her a look. 

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »
Just got a call (for free! ) from a law firm I contacted to find out how likely the border officers are to send me home.  He wouldn't say, he was adamant that I need to write to the Home Office and ask them to  hurry and write my MP.   

Not that I wouldn't trust KFdancers advice to try and style my way through, but my wife is not so confident.  In fact, she's against it and I cross her at my peril.  If I'm wrong I might end up living at Son of Sailor's house for a while. 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »
Just got a call (for free! ) from a law firm I contacted to find out how likely the border officers are to send me home.  He wouldn't say, he was adamant that I need to write to the Home Office and ask them to  hurry and write my MP.   

Not that I wouldn't trust KFdancers advice to try and style my way through, but my wife is not so confident.  In fact, she's against it and I cross her at my peril.  If I'm wrong I might end up living at Son of Sailor's house for a while.

But don't you also have the added bonus of being married to a qualified EU citizen? If they do decide they don't like your ILR story (which I highly doubt, I agree with KFd that you'll be fine) then you can just pull out that trump card surely?

• Liked: 85
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »
In fact, she's against it and I cross her at my peril.  If I'm wrong I might end up living at Son of Sailor's house for a while.

TV programme idea: You and Sonofasailor mistakenly become amateur detectives, solving mysterious deaths in the wilds of East Anglia, but mostly getting yourselves in trouble.

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
But don't you also have the added bonus of being married to a qualified EU citizen? If they do decide they don't like your ILR story (which I highly doubt, I agree with KFd that you'll be fine) then you can just pull out that trump card surely?

It's true that I am married to a fully qualified EU citizen.  Wether that's my Trump card or not I'm not sure. I was reading about it last night but couldn't wrap my head around it. 

Sponsored Links