Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal visa, Income Exception: Adequate Maintenance  (Read 1396 times)

Spousal visa, Income Exception: Adequate Maintenance
« on: April 25, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »
Situation: I want to apply for a spousal visa to come into the UK to be with my husband. We don't meet the income requirement of £18,600 per year, however, he is claiming disability which exempts us from the £18,600 requirement. However, instead of meeting the income threshold, I need evidence of "adequate maintenance". How do I go about finding out how much this will be?

We meet all eligibility requirements except for money and it's really stressful. Please help and no negative comments please.   

• Liked: 6110
Re: Spousal visa, Income Exception: Adequate Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:34:32 PM »
Situation: I want to apply for a spousal visa to come into the UK to be with my husband. We don't meet the income requirement of £18,600 per year, however, he is claiming disability which exempts us from the £18,600 requirement. However, instead of meeting the income threshold, I need evidence of "adequate maintenance". How do I go about finding out how much this will be?

We meet all eligibility requirements except for money and it's really stressful. Please help and no negative comments please.

You'll find it here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa

In calculating whether the applicant can be adequately maintained, the decision maker should follow the following steps:

(a) Establish the sponsor’s and/or applicant’s (if they are in the UK with permission to work) current net income. The net income should be established and if the income varies, an average should be calculated. Income from benefits can be included as income. (b) Establish the sponsor’s current housing costs from the evidence provided. c) Deduct the housing costs from the net income. (d) Calculate how much the sponsor and his family would receive if they were on Income Support. ( e) Compare the sponsor’s net income after deduction of housing costs with the equivalent Income Support rate.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:42:26 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »
Is your husband is in receipt of one of the following benefits? He would need to be in order to be exempt from the financial requirements.

Carer’s Allowance.

Disability Living Allowance.

Severe Disablement Allowance.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

Attendance Allowance.

Personal Independence Payment.

Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the   
Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension
under the War Pensions Scheme.   

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »
Is your husband is in receipt of one of the following benefits? He would need to be in order to be exempt from the financial requirements.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Yes he is. Does this mean we are exempt from all financial requirements? It says we would need "adequate maintenance" and I checked the link, but it makes no sense to me :(

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 06:21:10 PM »

Yes he is. Does this mean we are exempt from all financial requirements? It says we would need "adequate maintenance" and I checked the link, but it makes no sense to me :(

His net income so his money after tax/deductions minus his rent and council tax must be more than the income support level for a family of your size which is 114.85gbp.

So .. (net income) - (rent + council tax) needs to be greater than 114.85 per week.

Does he have that much left over after accommodation expenses?

The first link I gave you wasn't the best one. The one in my second reply is easier to understand.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:24:31 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 3589
Spousal visa, Income Exception: Adequate Maintenance
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »
His net income so his money after tax/deductions minus his rent and council tax must be more than the income support level for a family of your size which is 114.85gbp.

So .. (net income) - (rent + council tax) needs to be greater than 114.85

Note: this is PER WEEK income.

A UK couple on income support receives £114.85 per week.

You have to show that you have at least £114.85 left over each week after paying rent and council tax.

Monthly, that's £497.68 left after rent and council tax

Annually, it's £5,972.20 left after rent and council tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:25:17 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 02:57:28 AM »
Note: this is PER WEEK income.

A UK couple on income support receives £114.85 per week.

You have to show that you have at least £114.85 left over each week after paying rent and council tax.

Monthly, that's £497.68 left after rent and council tax

Annually, it's £5,972.20 left after rent and council tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the visa is for 33 months does that mean I have to have £497.68 x 33 = £16,423.44? :(

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 03:20:30 AM »
Since the visa is for 33 months does that mean I have to have £497.68 x 33 = £16,423.44? :(

No.

What is his income?  Is he paid weekly or monthly?  (Pretax income).  Is he hourly?  If so, how many hours a week is he contracted to work?

What is his rent?  Does he pay weekly or monthly?

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 04:43:55 AM »
No.

What is his income?  Is he paid weekly or monthly?  (Pretax income).  Is he hourly?  If so, how many hours a week is he contracted to work?

What is his rent?  Does he pay weekly or monthly?

He isn't currently working and I'm unsure of the details. I'm confused. Isn't the adequate maintenance the amount I should have ready by the time I get there?

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 05:18:36 AM »
He isn't currently working and I'm unsure of the details. I'm confused. Isn't the adequate maintenance the amount I should have ready by the time I get there?

No, it's an income vs housing expenses situation, not an amount of savings.

Can you find out how much he receives weekly in benefits and also how much he pays out of pocket for his rent/council tax?

Sponsored Links