Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Volunteer visa  (Read 476 times)

• Liked: 0
Volunteer visa
« on: April 26, 2017, 05:09:16 AM »
Hello! I'm looking to do some volunteer work this summer with a summer camp in the UK. The volunteer position is only for 3 weeks and I would like to do some sightseeing a few days before and after volunteering. A quick google search on volunteer visas left me a little confused because there's incidental volunteering that can be done on a tourist visa. Would I need to apply for a volunteer visa? I plan to stay a total of 4 weeks (3 wks volunteering, 1 week sightseeing). Thanks!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Volunteer visa
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 05:39:20 AM »
Hello! I'm looking to do some volunteer work this summer with a summer camp in the UK. The volunteer position is only for 3 weeks and I would like to do some sightseeing a few days before and after volunteering. A quick google search on volunteer visas left me a little confused because there's incidental volunteering that can be done on a tourist visa. Would I need to apply for a volunteer visa? I plan to stay a total of 4 weeks (3 wks volunteering, 1 week sightseeing). Thanks!

Hi roc83. Welcome!  :)

You can't do what you are planning on a visitor's visa.
From the Visit Guidance.

Volunteering
Appendix 3 allows visitors to undertake  volunteering (not voluntary work) provided
volunteering is not the main purpose of the visit, it is for a registered charity and will
be for no longer than 30 days in total. Where an individual is looking to come to the UK as a visitor specifically to volunteer they must be refused. Volunteering and voluntary workers are provided for in Tier 5 Charity worker route of the points-based system.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/581550/Visitors-v5_0.pdf

Is the summer camp run by a charity that is a licensed sponsor? If not, you are going to have to stick with sightseeing only. That's not such a bad thing.  :)

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-temporary-worker-charity-worker-visa/overview

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:27:19 AM »
Hi Larrabee! Thanks for the welcome and reply. I would be applying through a volunteer placement program based in the US to volunteer at an oxford mencap camp. The placement program states they will help with the visa process by providing the necessary documents. I guess I will have to get a tier 5 visa  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 06:30:12 AM »
Hi Larrabee! Thanks for the welcome and reply. I would be applying through a volunteer placement program based in the US to volunteer at an oxford mencap camp. The placement program states they will help with the visa process by providing the necessary documents. I guess I will have to get a tier 5 visa  :)

Excellent news! Have a wonderful trip!  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab