Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How common is a tiny hotel fridge?  (Read 2029 times)

• Liked: 0
How common is a tiny hotel fridge?
« on: April 26, 2017, 06:55:22 AM »
I am looking at various properties in Ashford and many have beautiful kitchens.....with only a tiny useless fridge!? My double door side by side whirlpool is a wonderful device filled with frozen foods, ales, aged cheese, and various meats. How can anyone have a truly enjoyable life without the space to store these items!?
Bryan Jamison

• Liked: 9
Re: How common is a tiny hotel fridge?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:07:33 AM »
It's becoming less common, but many places just can't fit a large American fridge. My flat, for example (I measured, then cried LOL) doesn't have the width. So I bought a very tall fridge.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 07:11:27 AM »
Many people just do a daily shop. I have a butcher and fresh fruit/veg within walking distance. I think that's the difference.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 07:13:19 AM »
I could make that work, but I am looking at 3 bedroom semi-detached and terraced homes that are full size and they have a large kitchen and inexplicably a tiny little fridge.
Bryan Jamison

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:14:05 AM »
martia I live in a small town and the store is a 2 minute drive, I could shop daily too....but why!?
Bryan Jamison

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:37:32 AM »
I take it they are new builds? I've found most kitchens in older homes to be tiny. The older, the less space.

As far as the daily shop? I've come to prefer it. It gets me outside and I'm cooking with fresh ingredients.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »
The majority of UK kitchens have the fridge slotted underneath the countertop because there is nowhere else to put one, so most fridges are made small so they can fit underneath.

However, tall fridge-freezers and American-style fridges are becoming more common now. I bought a 3-bedroom semi-detached last year and I have an American style fridge-freezer in one corner and the washing machine under the counter. I don't have a dryer or a dishwasher because there is nowhere in the kitchen to put them and I have no other rooms where they could go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 08:44:08 AM »
I would say 50% of my friends and family have the small, undercounter fridge.  Mine is tall but super narrow but I love it (50cm wide).

Food doesn't have the preservatives in it here that US foods have, so you can't shop much more than a few days in advance anyways. 

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »

Food doesn't have the preservatives in it here that US foods have, so you can't shop much more than a few days in advance anyways.

Especially bread! In the states bread would last at least a month. Here maybe a week before it starts to mold.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »

Especially bread! In the states bread would last at least a month. Here maybe a week before it starts to mold.

I would be THRILLED with a week!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 09:01:46 AM »
I don't use bread that quickly so I just freeze it and then defrost slices as I need them... that way I can make one loaf last about a month :).

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
I don't use bread that quickly so I just freeze it and then defrost slices as I need them... that way I can make one loaf last about a month :).

We freeze half of it.  But we have to have two loaves going as my husband is gluten free.  Though his loafs are only 400g anyways.... and over £3...

• Liked: 533
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 09:34:42 AM »

It seems like I remember when growing up that bread went mouldy much quicker. The food science people must have figured out some diabolical way to make that stuff immortal.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 10:12:07 AM »
It seems like I remember when growing up that bread went mouldy much quicker. The food science people must have figured out some diabolical way to make that stuff immortal.

Yeah, I think we don't want to know why it lasts so long now!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
I think the tall fridge with freezer on top or below is becoming quite common, but if you have a fitted kitchen with no place to put it then it is a real pain.

Our parents, siblings and friends all had or have the tall fridge/freezer combos, and the 3 houses we have lived in over here since 2010 have all had them.

When we bought our current house this year my wife said we would need to buy a large freezer to supplement the existing freezer in our tall fridge/freezer combo but after a few months using it has changed her mind.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links