Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Child Benefit - NI credits  (Read 657 times)

• Liked: 3
Child Benefit - NI credits
« on: April 27, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »
Cross posting from the parenting forum - thought this might be a more appropriate place.

We (both dual US/UK citizens) registered our newborn son for Child Benefit, it was approved and we've started receiving payments. All good there. What I'm not completely clear on is the part about getting National Insurance credits for any weeks you miss due to caring for a child under 12. I made the claim in my name, and put my wife's name and NI number in the section about partner's details, but does anyone know whether both parents get NI credits? It would be logical that they would, but the letter I received from the Child Benefit office seems to suggest that only the main applicant gets credits and I couldn't find any specific documentation to confirm one way or the other. Any advice is appreciated!

• Liked: 718
Re: Child Benefit - NI credits
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
This last week we went online to create an account for my wife and check her NI record which showed that she received credits for years she stopped working to take care of our two children. It was a very welcome surprise as this was back in the 70's and 80's. Like myself she also received credits for the years spent at university. I didn't stop working when we had children so I can't comment on anything else.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:03:57 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 3
Re: Child Benefit - NI credits
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »
Just an update after speaking with the HMRC National Insurance office: only the main Child Benefit applicant gets NI credits, but can apply to transfer them to their partner if they have been paying full NI contributions from employment and their partner needs the credits to cover gaps in their NI record. This is done on form CF411A after the end of each tax year.

Just in case this helps someone out there!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab