Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting hung up on ToR application, am I missing something?  (Read 3807 times)

• Liked: 5
Re: Getting hung up on ToR application, am I missing something?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 02:37:29 AM »
Does anyone have advice on how to handle the UK address you need to provide on the ToR form? I currently don't have a UK address since I plan to apartment hunt once I arrive (hopefully finding something within a week). I will be going for work, so the best I could do would be to provide my work address. However, I don't want my things actually shipped to that address.

• Liked: 672
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 02:41:02 AM »
Hi-

Had the same problem. Was told to write a letter to include with the application stating I'd be at a specific hotel (and list the contact info) as I would be house-hunting when I arrived.  No problems so far, TOR came through in about 3 and a half weeks, stuff is still on the boat on the way over. Have provided updated housing info to the shipping company and am not expecting any problems.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 02:43:16 AM »
Oh great! That would be perfect. Thanks for the info!!

• Liked: 32
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 12:47:51 PM »
Hi-

Had the same problem. Was told to write a letter to include with the application stating I'd be at a specific hotel (and list the contact info) as I would be house-hunting when I arrived.  No problems so far, TOR came through in about 3 and a half weeks, stuff is still on the boat on the way over. Have provided updated housing info to the shipping company and am not expecting any problems.

I did the same -- included cover letter saying I'd be arriving and living at Address 1 for one month, but that we were moving to Address 2 after I arrived.  I indicated I wanted items shipped to Address 2.  TOR was approved and no problems with shipping company either.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »
Hi! Does anyone know if you need to fill out a ToR if you're just shopping clothes?

• Liked: 59
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »
Hi! Does anyone know if you need to fill out a ToR if you're just shopping clothes?

If you are moving your home to the UK, yes, you need to complete this form to avoid paying VAT or customs charges on your personal belongings. If you are shipping the clothes with a moving company, they will require you complete the form. If you are sending your clothes through the post office, you'll need the ToR filed so that you can reclaim any VAT or customs charges that are levied on the packages.

Odds are, if you use the Post Office, you will be charged before the boxes are delivered, then you can file for repayment. I did that without any issues on two of my boxes.
If you do that, you need to mark on the customs declaration form that the items are your personal belongings.

TOR form: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-transfer-of-residence-tor-relief-tor01
To reclaim customs fees (see bottom of this page): https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

• Liked: 210
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 05:51:30 AM »
Any shipment over £30 will incur big duty fees without the tor. So yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab