Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NYC to the North East - What a change!  (Read 710 times)

• Liked: 0
NYC to the North East - What a change!
« on: April 27, 2017, 04:19:55 PM »
Hi, everyone! I've been lurking on these forums for ages, both before my move and ever since, and I decided to finally make an account so I could comment/connect with everyone here since you all seem so nice ;)

I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY and am now living in the North East of England - close to Durham/about 45 mins outside of Newcastle. Definitely a change (though really anywhere would be after NYC). I spent several 6-month visitor visa stints here with my partner before FINALLY securing my LTR visa in November 2016 with the help of an AMAZING immigration lawyer in the city. It was a very long process, but I'm here!

I miss New York a lot and while I do love this part of the country (cheaper than London, the seaside and the countryside equidistant from this town), I'm not immune to a bout or two of homesickness. Still, after working so hard to get here, I'd be silly not to appreciate the ability to live here and finally be with my partner 24/7 instead of having to live on Skype from thousands of miles away!

• Liked: 6110
Re: NYC to the North East - What a change!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
Hi, everyone! I've been lurking on these forums for ages, both before my move and ever since, and I decided to finally make an account so I could comment/connect with everyone here since you all seem so nice ;)

I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY and am now living in the North East of England - close to Durham/about 45 mins outside of Newcastle. Definitely a change (though really anywhere would be after NYC). I spent several 6-month visitor visa stints here with my partner before FINALLY securing my LTR visa in November 2016 with the help of an AMAZING immigration lawyer in the city. It was a very long process, but I'm here!

I miss New York a lot and while I do love this part of the country (cheaper than London, the seaside and the countryside equidistant from this town), I'm not immune to a bout or two of homesickness. Still, after working so hard to get here, I'd be silly not to appreciate the ability to live here and finally be with my partner 24/7 instead of having to live on Skype from thousands of miles away!

Hi bb, welcome to the forum!  ;D
Congratulations for making it to the UK.  Yours was not a simple visa application from the sounds of it?.... We love to talk visas here as you'll have noticed!  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »
Well, it was just complicated and expensive! Wages up here even at the best of jobs aren't often at the £18,600 threshold for sponsorship and my partner was only working part time (full-time wasn't available - she'd been with the company for 22 years), but thankfully I had a good job in the US and was able to save what ended up having to be about $60k!!! Of course it took time to put that together, then it had to sit there for six months, then I was working with the lawyers to do the application and it was all just a very long time coming. Thankfully we made it happen, but I definitely know how privileged we were to be in such a position!

• Liked: 424
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Talking visas is what helped make it possible for me to be here with my wife! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »
Well, it was just complicated and expensive! Wages up here even at the best of jobs aren't often at the £18,600 threshold for sponsorship and my partner was only working part time (full-time wasn't available - she'd been with the company for 22 years), but thankfully I had a good job in the US and was able to save what ended up having to be about $60k!!! Of course it took time to put that together, then it had to sit there for six months, then I was working with the lawyers to do the application and it was all just a very long time coming. Thankfully we made it happen, but I definitely know how privileged we were to be in such a position!

Ah, I see. Thanks for sharing!  :)
When it's time for your FLR, hopefully we'll be able to help you and save you the lawyers fees next time. ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:03:21 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 10:34:21 PM »
Welcome to the site, and welcome to Durham. (I grew up in County Durham, 45 mins down the coast from Newcastle).
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 16
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 12:50:41 PM »

Say, just curious, but who was your immigration attorney in NYC? I'm originally from Brooklyn, too, and moving to the Midlands in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »
Welcome to the UK and the forum! :)

Even though it can be different, I like to think about the fact that now you have two places that you can call home and visit. Living here permanently is great because you can visit so many amazing places withing a few hours drive or flight but then you also have people back home that you can visit! You've definitely come to the right place though to talk about homesickness etc.  I'm a fellow East-Coaster and, although I'm located down south here, once winter comes I start feelings I'm right back at home! haha You will probably get it even more so being further up north lol  ;D
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links