Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving Back to the UK...  (Read 1554 times)

• Liked: 20
Re: Moving Back to the UK...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »
I've fancied living in Yorkshire, something about the dales.. if anything housing costs in London are just... bonkers, making anywhere else attractive.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 07:04:27 PM »
I've fancied living in Yorkshire, something about the dales.. if anything housing costs in London are just... bonkers, making anywhere else attractive.

Oh yeah totally agree. I would never live in London but I am quite happy being located in Berkshire as I fee like I can easily get to London if I want to. But you're right, housing prices are mental down here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »
When are you guys thinking about moving? My husband and I are in a similar situation (I'm a dual US/UK citizen, though I've lived most of my life in the US), so it would be interesting to compare notes. I've also had trouble finding any specific info on the UK.gov site pertaining to our situation, but the folks here have been incredibly helpful.

We're hoping to move early next year, but that depends on whether or not I can keep my current work-from-home job -- I should find out next week, fingers crossed!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 10:52:20 AM »
When are you guys thinking about moving? My husband and I are in a similar situation (I'm a dual US/UK citizen, though I've lived most of my life in the US), so it would be interesting to compare notes. I've also had trouble finding any specific info on the UK.gov site pertaining to our situation, but the folks here have been incredibly helpful.

We're hoping to move early next year, but that depends on whether or not I can keep my current work-from-home job -- I should find out next week, fingers crossed!

What might help, if you're totally open to where you go (I was joking by the way about south being better than the north, just FYI in case anybody sees this and thinks I'm serious! haha  ;D ), is to make a list of all the things you ideally want to have when you move over. Such as - do you want to live in a small village or do you want to live in a big city or a middle ground? Do you want easy access via public transport to shops or are you happy with at least one of you driving? Are there any particular hobbies/activities you enjoy that you'd want to have easier access too? (for example - if you enjoy more water activities, you'd maybe want to be closer to a beach/coastline. If you ski/snowboard, I believe there are places in Scotland you can do this. If you enjoy hiking, maybe look at an area that's more countryside where you might get more variety in trails - although I still live quite close to Reading and there are still plenty of great paths to walk nearby so that's one to take with a pinch of salt).

For me, I lived in New England, so moving to Reading was like moving to one of the big cities near where I lived anyways so it was very similar and an easy adjustment for me in that sense. The seasons were more or less the same (minus definite snow). The further up you go, I think the colder you'll be in winter (from my personal experiences as we have family that live further up and friends in Scotland) so if that is something that will bother you, it's something to take into consideration.

I know you weren't directing the question to me, but I thought I would put in some food for thought :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 20
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
What might help, if you're totally open to where you go (I was joking by the way about south being better than the north, just FYI in case anybody sees this and thinks I'm serious! haha  ;D ), is to make a list of all the things you ideally want to have when you move over.

Making a list of wants actually a very good idea.  We've narrowed our search down to a city with good public transport.  I grew up in south London, but properties in my old neighbourhood and the surrounding area are now so expensive as to be non-starter.
I think the final decision will be determined by where I can land a job.

We're on the same timeline, so I'm more than happy to chat about it via PM further.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab