Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: getting married in the US  (Read 505 times)

• Liked: 79
getting married in the US
« on: April 29, 2017, 02:18:57 AM »
Getting married in may the states and my British fiancé has a green card .. does he still need esta I believe it's called form to get married ? Or is his green card enough ?
US girl met UK guy
Met Husband at England Rugby World Cup Oct 2015
Got engaged in Germany in July 2017
Got married in Philadelphia Oct 2017
Applying for Spouse visa for the UK
Application paid December 17th 2017
Bometrics booked for Dec 22nd 2017
Package sent off to Sheffield Dec 23rd 2017(priority)
Package recieved In Sheffield Dec 27th 😬🤞🏻
Decision email sent Jan 17th 2018 😬😳🤞🏻🙏🙌🏼
VISA APPROVED Jan 22nd
Cambridge here I come !!!
Applied FLR(M)  Sept 9th 2020
App invite.       Sept 23rd 2020
Submit FLR(M)Oct 5th.   2020

• Liked: 3595
Re: getting married in the US
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 02:42:12 AM »
ESTA is the visa waiver program for visitors coming to the US. It has nothing to do with getting married... it's just that if he does not have a visa/green card to live in the US he will use the ESTA to enter the US instead.

Is his green card still valid though? He's living back in the UK again now, isn't he? If he's moved back to the UK permanently and has been out of the US for more than 6 months or more than 1 year, he may be considered to have abandoned his green card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 04:21:06 AM »
I'm not sure what is going on with his green card . every time he enters he has to come in on it .. so I honestly have no idea nor does he .. but if his green card doesn't work does he need some type of form to get married in the Us
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:23:32 AM by Soccer4ja9 »
US girl met UK guy
VISA APPROVED Jan 22nd

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 06:16:47 AM »
No, there is no immigration form required to get married in the US. As I said above, he either needs a valid green card, valid visa, or the ESTA to enter the US... once he's in the US, he can get married.

I don't know what would happen if his green card didn't work, though. I'm not sure if they would let him in as a visitor or if he would get sent back to the UK without being allowed in.

How long has it been since he moved back to the UK? If he's been gone more than 6 months, in order to be allowed back into the US on the green card he would have to prove he is still a US resident (I.e. he rents/owns in the US, works in the US, pays US taxes, has a US driver's licence etc.) and that he spends more time per year in the US than in the UK. He may even need to apply for a re-entry permit or a returning resident card before coming back.

See here: http://lawandborder.com/risk-abandoning-green-card-abroad-6-months/

Honestly, it sounds like it could be easier for you to apply for a fiancé visa and marry in the U.K., rather than risk him having issues getting into the US with his green card.

Actually, aren't you applying for a fiancé visa anyway? All of your previous posts are about preparing your fiancé visa application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 210
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
But he has a British passport, so couldn't he come on that? If he's staying fewer than 90 days, he could get married while on the ESTA. Or does the potentially expired green card complicate that?
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »
But he has a British passport, so couldn't he come on that? If he's staying fewer than 90 days, he could get married while on the ESTA. Or does the potentially expired green card complicate that?

The problem is the green card. If he comes on ESTA, it will automatically cancel the green card.

However, if he has permanently left the US and is no longer maintaining residence in the UK, the green card may have become invalid anyway and he may no longer be allowed to enter on it.

I'm not really sure what the procedure would be in that case - if he tries to enter on the green card and is not allowed in, I don't know whether they would let him in as a visitor, or if they would send him back to the UK (since he wouldn't have an ESTA).

But if he is sent back to the UK, and then tries for ESTA, it may be refused because of the entry refusal... so that would mean he would need to apply for a visitor visa, which can take several months to get.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 06:20:16 PM »
We were gonna go on the fiancé rout but decided just to get married in the US because it would be quicker and save us a visa fee in the long run ..
   But he hasn't been living in the us for awhile but has to travel here for work every so often ..  but his ex was a very high profile government employee so he was always country hoping with her back and forth living here living there .. he does still do the taxes thing but maybe on the safe side I will have him apply for the esta form just in case because we really are unsure of what to do .. I wish visas can with a list of instructions  lol
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:23:12 PM by Soccer4ja9 »
US girl met UK guy
VISA APPROVED Jan 22nd

Sponsored Links