Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mac & Cheese anathema  (Read 4643 times)

• Liked: 114
Re: Mac & Cheese anathema
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 09:49:13 PM »
We eat the boxed Kraft mac and cheese from Tesco. Tastes just fine to me! However, I do cry a little inside every time we get it because of the price...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »
We eat the boxed Kraft mac and cheese from Tesco. Tastes just fine to me! However, I do cry a little inside every time we get it because of the price...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That mac and cheese is imported from the US, you'll notice they cover up the ingredient list with a sticker that has EU warnings. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »
I'm always trying to find good and easy recipes for homemade mac and cheese. I had one that I used over a year ago that was perfect and now I can't find it! I have been trying different ones ever since with no luck, so if anyone has any tried and true recipes, please send them my way!

I think I lived off Kraft mac and cheese as a child but looooved the Velveeta ones with the cheese sauce best. While the Kraft with the powder will do here, I think I prefer something more creamy.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »
Most of the creamy ones I find require Velveeta which doesn't exactly help!

It depends on what flavour you want. I found an easy creamy one that you cook the noodles in the milk and add the cheese and any other spices to finish it.

It wasn't bad, but wasn't the flavour I wanted! Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 01:40:34 PM »
I'm always trying to find good and easy recipes for homemade mac and cheese. I had one that I used over a year ago that was perfect and now I can't find it! I have been trying different ones ever since with no luck, so if anyone has any tried and true recipes, please send them my way!

I think I lived off Kraft mac and cheese as a child but looooved the Velveeta ones with the cheese sauce best. While the Kraft with the powder will do here, I think I prefer something more creamy.

http://pinchofyum.com/steak-mac-and-cheese

This is the recipe I use.  You can leave out the steak (although it is really nice).  It's nothing like Kraft but I like it better.  Sometimes I put it in a baking pan and cover with shredded cheddar and breadcrumbs and bake it.  My husband is obsessed.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 07:41:05 PM »
I used to always love Boston markets mac and cheese. The best !!
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 68
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:26 PM »
http://pinchofyum.com/steak-mac-and-cheese

This is the recipe I use.  You can leave out the steak (although it is really nice).  It's nothing like Kraft but I like it better.  Sometimes I put it in a baking pan and cover with shredded cheddar and breadcrumbs and bake it.  My husband is obsessed.

That sounds nice! I like how it recommends a wine too, haha!

• Liked: 325
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 07:59:42 AM »
I've always made homemade.

2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups grated cheddar
Salt to taste
Few drops of hot sauce (optional)

In a saucepan, melt the butter then whisk in the flour over a medium heat, once flour and butter are incorporated, whisk in the milk and continue to stir until thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, salt, hot sauce.  If too thick, add more milk and stir.  Taste it.  If you are used to Kraft, you are used to very salty, so you made need to adjust your salt.  I always add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream.  Stir in cooked hot pasta and put into a casserole.  Top with a bit of grated cheese and bread crumbs and put under broiler (grill) until cheese island breadcrumbs are browned. 

This is rich and creamy and very southern.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 12:46:53 PM »

£2 at Sainsbury's right now!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 111
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »
Kraft Mac & Cheese...The first day I moved to England as a fiancée over 20 years ago, I went to ASDA to buy something to cook for myself, my three-year-old and my fiancé. I had a bit of a meltdown in ASDA when I realized that I had very poor cooking skills and that all I really knew how to make were "ready-meals" such as Kraft Mac & Cheese and there was none to be found. A woman in the store saw I was a little distressed and asked me what I was looking for and I shamefully told her about my lack of skill and wanted to make macaroni and cheese. She said, "Oh love, there's nothing to it" and proceeded to give me a recipe that's not too dissimilar to Katoo's homemade recipe up above. That day, I made the decision to learn how to cook. I felt as if I had made baby steps towards being more of a local and losing my dependence on things I grew up eating and learned to enjoy what was around me. Since then, I've mastered mac and cheese (my favorite is with lobster mac and cheese) and I I have no idea why I ever ate the boxed stuff in the first place. It's really awful. Take Katoo's recipe (thanks for sharing it xx) and make it your own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 0
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 07:38:41 PM »
I've always made homemade.

Your recipe is just like mine.  I've always made homemade.  Super-easy and you can change up the flavour so easily depending on the type of cheese you use.  Makes an absolutely lush side for steak if you make it with blue cheese...
Not MrsRichUK anymore!  :-)

• Liked: 325
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 08:03:53 PM »
Your recipe is just like mine.  I've always made homemade.  Super-easy and you can change up the flavour so easily depending on the type of cheese you use.  Makes an absolutely lush side for steak if you make it with blue cheese...

Yeah, it's versatile.  Adding carmelized onions and crisp bacon bits is a great addition.  Also cooked peas, green onions and ham pieces.  Biggest mistake is not enough sauce to pasta ratio.  It has to be saucy.

Once I get there, I'll try it with a good Stilton.

• Liked: 210
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 08:33:03 PM »
Making homemade mac & cheese is tougher than it sounds. It's hard to get the cheese just right. I've got a 5-pack of Kraft boxes in my cupboard that I should enjoy before going to the land of expensive imported mac & cheese.

I'm trying very hard not to eat fish and chips here, though, as I will get my fill of that once I'm in the UK. Brits know how to fry their fish. :D
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 9
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 10:01:23 AM »
Poundworld ftw

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »
SO excited as going to a friend's for dinner tonight and part of her meal is Beer Mac and Cheese. literally cannot wait to try that beauty...Combines two things I love! :D

we're having BBQ as well and I've found that I love BBQ and mac and cheese together (she's also making red lobster biscuits and I didn't have to explain to her what a biscuit was besides a cookie so that was a win-win in the friendship department hahahaha)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links