Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Social Security & UK State Pension  (Read 817 times)

• Liked: 12
US Social Security & UK State Pension
« on: May 04, 2017, 04:08:25 PM »
As background, I'm a dual UK/US citizen living permanently in the UK.  Read this in the context that I know nothing about US Social Security and little about the UK State Pension.

I recently received an US SS statement with a "Your Earnings Record" that shows taxed SS earnings and Medicare earnings for the years 1976-1979; i.e. for summer jobs that I held during university in the US.  Afterwards, I've only been employed in the UK and hence my SS earning record shows zero for the years 1980 to now.  The statement also says "To get retirement benefits, you need 40 credits of work.  Your record shows you have at least 11 credits at this time, including assumed credits for last year and this year if you continue to work."

For the UK, my national insurance record shows that I have 27 years of full contributions (towards my state pension), 7 years to contribute before my state pension begins in 2023, and 2 years when I did not contribute enough.

Dumb questions:
1) Am I correct in assuming that I have established no entitlement to receive any US SS payments when I retire?
2) Can the 11 credits for US SS somehow be transferred to qualify for incomplete years of my UK State Pension?

• Liked: 111
Re: US Social Security & UK State Pension
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »
Dumb questions:
1) Am I correct in assuming that I have established no entitlement to receive any US SS payments when I retire?
2) Can the 11 credits for US SS somehow be transferred to qualify for incomplete years of my UK State Pension?
Starting with 2) first:
No. Credits may be used only to qualify for a pension when the beneficiary would not normally qualify. You qualify for a UK State Pension.

Back to 1):
You should consult the following document:

https://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/uk.html#claims

It's the Totalisation Agreement between the US and UK for US SS and UK State Pensions.

You may well qualify for a US SS benefit based on the above agreement. In the past, one needed 6 US credits of substantial earnings (SS credits) before the above agreement would apply. Check your record for the exact number of US credits you have as of now (not including any "assumed credits").

If it's more than 6 (if that is still the current requirement) you will receive a US SS benefit. The monetary amount of the benefit would be for only the number of US credits you have (6 to 11?). So,... not much dosh, but better than a sharp stick in the eye. If you have a spouse, and with certain conditions applying -  your spouse may also receive an amount. Small amount of dosh gets slightly larger.

Details are in the link above. If you have any additional questions, ask us.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:09:22 PM »
It looks like you are going to have 34 years towards your OAP. Might be worth considering voluntarily paying for one of those missing years to get the full 35 years if allowed. These days it is a straight line calculation to calculate your OAP. 34 years gets you 34/35ths of the full pension. 35 years or more gets the full OAP so no point in having more than 35 years.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:46:03 PM »
The UK government's website says "You can usually pay voluntary contributions for the past 6 years."  My gap years are circa 1989-91, so a bit too long ago to pay for those years.  :\\\'(  (That's in part why I asked in my OP if US SS could somehow transferred to qualify for incomplete years of my UK State Pension.)

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/deadlines

• Liked: 102
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 07:47:42 AM »
You can get the UK forecast online. For the States I think you probably have to write to the SSA to get a forecast of partial benefits.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »
You can get the UK forecast online. For the States I think you probably have to write to the SSA to get a forecast of partial benefits.

You can also create an account online with SSA and see your record, get an estimate, and also get an estimate if you retired today. i.e. Enter zero for future projected earnings.

Not sure if you can do this as an ex-pat, I set up my account many years ago while living in the USA to help with my planning on early retirement in 2010. (I can still log on and see my details since moving to England)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links