Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bank account/Mortgage question  (Read 805 times)

• Liked: 36
Bank account/Mortgage question
« on: May 07, 2017, 01:23:54 AM »
My husband is a UK citizen. We current live in the US but would like to move back to Scotland.  We are visiting his family in June and would like to open a bank account.  Is this possible if we give his mom or sister's address or does his name have to be on a bill?

Also does anyone know if a company pays for a relocation package if you still have to pay 6 months rent up front?  If after a few years we want to get a mortgage does it matter that I won't be a citizen if I won't be working and the mortgage will be based on my husband's salary?  We would have a 25-30% deposit.

• Liked: 585
Re: Bank account/Mortgage question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 08:30:10 AM »
Yes, you will need to show proof of a UK address, so your name will need to be on a bill...possibly even 2 bills?  (I used to work on the 'new accounts opening helpdesk' for a large Scottish bank, and at that time they wanted ID + 2 proof of address documents, but it's been several years, so this may have changed.)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »
I asked our bank here in England about our son opening a bank account when he arrives as he will be staying with us until he buys a house so won't have a council tax or utility bill in his name. They told me that if he turns up with a UK licence and is registered to vote at our address AND we provide a letter stating that he is living with us while looking to buy a house that he will be able to open a bank account with them.

I think the 6 months up front rent payment will depend on the agent or owner of the house. When we rented a house a few years ago they accepted proof of income (US pension statements) but last year a different agent required 6 months up front for a 1 year lease.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 116
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »
You can use a lease as proof of address, so is it possible for your parents to draw up a lease for you guys living there?

Unfortunately on a visit visa they are unlikely to allow you to be a joint account holder.  Once I had my spouse visa the bank gave us no problem at all, but a tourist visa wouldn't be good enough, they said.  Our banker had to photocopy both my passport and my BRP.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab