Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pregnancy in the UK  (Read 4830 times)

• Liked: 6
Pregnancy in the UK
« on: May 11, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »
I'll be moving to the UK soon on a Tier 2 Visa and am a little nervous about getting set up with the NHS and a place to deliver as I'll be 6 months pregnant when I arrive. How long does it typically take to get set up with the NHS (get your number, get in with a GP, etc.)? What about getting a referral to your hospital of choice for delivery? I've also been a bit confused about what I may need to pay for. My understanding is all the antenatal care and delivery costs will be covered by the NHS, but then some sites I've looked at say there are costs as high as 2-3,000 Pounds for delivery, so I've been very confused about this. Just trying to get a sense of what I should expect so I can be better prepared when I arrive in the country.

Thanks!!  :)

• Liked: 32
Re: Pregnancy in the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »
Hi Redstar!  I'm sure others will be along soon who are more experienced with the NHS, but since you and I are in similar situations, I'll offer my experience so far to help ease your mind...

I arrived on a spousal visa a few weeks ago and am now 29 weeks along.  I had to go into my local GP's office (found via google and walking through our neighborhood, but I believe there is an NHS search tool online) and ask in person to register for the NHS.  They gave me some paperwork to complete and I was required to bring proof of address and ID in order to register.  I had already been added to our flat lease, so I used that as proof of address, but they told me they would also accept a utility bill. They keyed me into the system the next day, and I had appointments scheduled a few days after that.  About a week after filling out initial paperwork, I got a letter in the mail with my NHS number.  So, it was rather quick.

We're in an unusual situation in that we're moving in a few weeks and so I'm trying to register to deliver at a different hospital that is not near my current GP's office.  FWIW, I was told I can "self refer" to the hospital where I want to deliver but I couldn't complete that process until I had my NHS number.  Once we move, I'll need to register with a new GP in our new city as well.   We're touring the maternity unit at the hospital I'm delivering at this weekend, and I'm hoping to complete the self-referral process then.  I'll update this thread on how that goes.

Anyway, I suppose all of this is dependent on your local GP's office, but for me, it's been very quick so far.  Hopefully same for you.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
Getting setup with the GP will be quick and easy.  They'll likely require something with your address on it, which will be the hardest part.

You shouldn't have to pay for anything at the point of service.  Exceptions are testing for chromosome abnormalities (you likely had that done in the US early on), Strep B or GBS testing (£35 you have to arrange yourself through a lab.  Shocking that the NHS don't test for it, but that's another story), or a private room at the hospital.

NHS hospitals have wards.  With my first I was in a room with 7 beds so 7 moms and 7 babies, dads cannot stay overnight.  This may/will vary from hospital to hospital.  I gave birth two weeks ago to my second and I had a private room this time as my son was in the NICU at first and if a mom is separated from her baby they don't put you on the ward with a bunch of moms with their babies.  Personally, I think that's a good policy.  If a private room was available and requested, it's £120/night at my local hospital.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:37:00 PM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
Thanks, ChiKristin and KFdancer! It's great to know that it is fairly quick to get set up with the NHS and also that my initial thought that most medical costs are covered was correct. Agreed that getting proof of residence will be the hardest, but planning to apartment hunt right away and hoping we can find something decent within a week.

I'll definitely have to keep the hospital policies in mind when looking around. Actually have my eye on a birthing center that has excellent reviews, which is conveniently part of a hospital so it is easy to get transferred if any complications arise. Hadn't thought about the possibility that I may not be able to have my husband with me 24/7, which is really important to me since this will be my first child and I'm sure I'll want the support.

@ ChiKristin I will definitely be interested in hearing how the referral process goes for you. It would be darn convenient if I can do that myself instead of having to rely on a GP to refer me.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
Thanks, ChiKristin and KFdancer! It's great to know that it is fairly quick to get set up with the NHS and also that my initial thought that most medical costs are covered was correct. Agreed that getting proof of residence will be the hardest, but planning to apartment hunt right away and hoping we can find something decent within a week.

I'll definitely have to keep the hospital policies in mind when looking around. Actually have my eye on a birthing center that has excellent reviews, which is conveniently part of a hospital so it is easy to get transferred if any complications arise. Hadn't thought about the possibility that I may not be able to have my husband with me 24/7, which is really important to me since this will be my first child and I'm sure I'll want the support.

@ ChiKristin I will definitely be interested in hearing how the referral process goes for you. It would be darn convenient if I can do that myself instead of having to rely on a GP to refer me.

Birthing centres are supposed to be fantastic and I believe dads can usually stay.  A friend had photos of her birthing centre birth and it was night and day to my experience!  But I have high risk pregnancies, so no option to be anywhere but the hospital under consultant (obstetrician) care.  As long as you are cool with no epidural (which I've never managed to get anyway despite my birth plan being a single line saying I WANT AN EPIDURAL   ;D), it's an easy choice.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 09:33:19 PM »
Hello,

My wife gave birth around a month ago in a normal, midwife-led hospital ward. It was 6 moms and 6 babies per "room". Our room had a giant entry way and no door and was right in front of the midwives station. Definitely very little privacy and no peace and quiet. I was allowed to stay 24 hours a day, but the chair was really, really uncomfortable and the space quite cramped:D If I would have known you can pay for a private room we would have considered it.

When we first met with our community midwife during pregnancy (at the GP surgery) she referred us to our preferred hospital and that worked out without any problems

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 10:03:11 PM »

My wife gave birth around a month ago...

Congratulations!  :D

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 12:18:43 AM »

• Liked: 107
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »
I think it depends on a hospital-to-hospital basis. Our maternity ward is really really good. Every mother gets their own room with shower, bean bags etc etc. It has been recently refurbished mind (we had a tour a few weeks back, due in four!)

Congratulations to the two of you!
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »
I think it depends on a hospital-to-hospital basis. Our maternity ward is really really good. Every mother gets their own room with shower, bean bags etc etc. It has been recently refurbished mind (we had a tour a few weeks back, due in four!)

Congratulations to the two of you!

Sorry, yes this is how the delivery room was for me as well... I was talking about the place you go after the baby is born above

• Liked: 342
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
I'll be moving to the UK soon on a Tier 2 Visa and am a little nervous about getting set up with the NHS and a place to deliver as I'll be 6 months pregnant when I arrive.

I've also been a bit confused about what I may need to pay for.

If your visa is for more than 6 months, then you would have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge and will be allowed to the NHS as a Brit can (except for IVF treatment, but that won't bother you :)).

If your visa is for 6 months or less, then you have to pay to use the NHS.

With a visa of more than 6 months, you get a BRP. While the BRP remains valid, that will show the NHS staff that you can use the NHS without being billed.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits

Not everything is paid for the by the NHS and it never has been, that's a myth. With a valid BRP, your birth will be covered.

• Liked: 43
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 07:55:15 AM »
Homebirth also covered on the NHS if that tickles your fancy.
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

• Liked: 3
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »
We had ours in March and used the birthing centre at Kingston Hospital. It was a great experience. The delivery was managed by the midwives but the doctors did come in at the end to help with a bit of suction to help the little guy on his way out. We didn't have to transfer to the labour ward since the two were on the same floor side by side.

As the dad I was able to stay and the baby was with at least one of us at all times. We had to have a shared room in the recovery area but it was fine.

If you are in London and need transport to the hospital, I would highly recommend Green Tomato Cars. Let them know you're going to the hospital to have a baby and they'll plant a tree in your baby's name.

• Liked: 32
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 05:52:07 PM »
Homebirth also covered on the NHS if that tickles your fancy.

Have you (or anyone out there) had any experience with home births?  We toured our local birthing facility over the weekend and it was fine and consistent with what others have described (private delivery rooms, which were clean and adequate albeit a little dated, shared post-delivery rooms).  The bigger problem was my that my husband warned me he gets a little lightheaded in hospitals and birthing facilities are no exception -- he fainted!!!  The doula leading the facility tour suggested we think about home births as an option.  Was never on my radar before, but I am now considering it.

• Liked: 43
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 10:15:12 PM »
Yes, I tried for a homebirth with my first but transferred to hospital after 30ish hours or so when we realised things were taking too long.
With my second, everything went much more quickly and in order and my second daughter was born successfully at home.
Both experiences were nice, care-wise. Homebirth was fabulous for convenience and loveliness.
Happy to answer any questions.
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

Sponsored Links