Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Driving in US on UK licence when visiting  (Read 549 times)

• Liked: 9
Driving in US on UK licence when visiting
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:47:04 PM »
Hello, I'm a USC and have let my Nebraska licence expire. Is there anything I have to do/know/have in order to drive in the US on my full UK licence when visiting?

• Liked: 210
Re: Driving in US on UK licence when visiting
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 12:41:05 AM »
Hello, I'm a USC and have let my Nebraska licence expire. Is there anything I have to do/know/have in order to drive in the US on my full UK licence when visiting?

It's valid for up to one year for driving in the US. Shouldn't be any restrictions. :) However, just to be safe, you may want to get an international driving permit (IDP). You may be able to get one at your local post office, and it's quite cheap. Depending on which state you're visiting, the IDP may be required for you to rent a car.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 9
Re: Driving in US on UK licence when visiting
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »
It's valid for up to one year for driving in the US. Shouldn't be any restrictions. :) However, just to be safe, you may want to get an international driving permit (IDP). You may be able to get one at your local post office, and it's quite cheap. Depending on which state you're visiting, the IDP may be required for you to rent a car.

Thanks! Do people generally have to carry around any sort of proof that they're not resident in the US and thus haven't used up their one year?

Sponsored Links