Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: If you will ship your belongings to the UK, please read this first!  (Read 3235 times)

• Liked: 210
Really, really, really important announcement!

If you're planning to ship belongings to the UK after receiving a settlement visa (meaning in addition to or instead of checked/carry on luggage), read this first:

You MUST make a photocopy of the your US passport BEFORE you send it for your visa.

Absolutely must!

Otherwise, you can't submit your Transfer of Residency application (request for exemption from paying import duty). Then you'll either have to pay huge storage fees or huge fees for importing stuff to the UK.

It can take up to 30 days to process the ToR, and some shipping companies won't pick up your belongings until you have your ToR number.

You can apply for the ToR before you have visa in hand.

I know this is visa application rather than moving issues, but it's something you need to know before submitting your passport with your visa application.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 79
Good points! I was debating shipping my car over, and filling it with an assortment of TV's and what no but decided against it. I figured I would just sell most of my belongings and start anew in the UK.

Side note:
I was worried about car insurance in the UK (as premiums will be higher) and if anyone has USAA, you can get a policy through them if you buy a car in the UK.

• Liked: 37

You MUST make a photocopy of the your US passport BEFORE you send it for your visa.

Otherwise, you can't submit your Transfer of Residency application

It can take up to 30 days to process the ToR, and some shipping companies won't pick up your belongings until you have your ToR number.

You can apply for the ToR before you have visa in hand.

Thanks for the alert, AV!

I will be applying for the settlement visa soon, but my wife & I haven't really had this ToR high enough on the to-do list. (I would have kept a photocopy of my passport regardless, since I'm OCD about that sort of thing.  :) )

Another example of why this message board is so valuable!

I've been avoiding it because the massive to-do list has been getting me down. But my wife, er, gently suggested (:P) that I take care of the shipping arrangements, so I was on the phone today.

There is a workaround if you're doing Upakweship--they will pick up your container/pallet and store your items for $25 per week until your ToR is processed. It costs a bit, but it's cheaper than storing your items in the UK customs storage.

You'll also need a lease or similar proof of 12 months of residency outside the EU/UK, an itemized list of what you'll ship ("kitchenware" and "clothes" are okay), and an address where you'll live in the UK.

• Liked: 325
Our stuff finally cleared last week.  Two 8 foot pallets that was held for 12 days at 100£ per day.  Expensive lesson.  Don't do what we did.

Our stuff finally cleared last week.  Two 8 foot pallets that was held for 12 days at 100£ per day.  Expensive lesson.  Don't do what we did.

Oy! That must rankle, especially considering you *could* have kept it longer.

Good points! I was debating shipping my car over, and filling it with an assortment of TV's and what no but decided against it. I figured I would just sell most of my belongings and start anew in the UK.

Side note:
I was worried about car insurance in the UK (as premiums will be higher) and if anyone has USAA, you can get a policy through them if you buy a car in the UK.

Another issue with shipping your car--it *may* not meet EU standards and pass its MOT (ministry of transportation annual inspection). I'm selling my car, which is a real wrench as my (now late) father chose it for me. :( Couldn't take the risk that I'd ship it to the UK and find I couldn't drive it.

Re: If you will ship your belongings to the UK, please read this first!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
AV, I saw that you and DL2000 got your visa approval email today. Congrats!!

If you see this post, could you keep us on the forum updated on how your ToR application shakes out?

My wife and I applied for our ToR this week, but now I think I messed up by saying we're not importing pets or animals, when in fact we're planning to fly our labradoodle over.  ???  I'm thinking we'll have to check with HMR&C to see if we need to amend our ToR or file a new one just for the dog.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 09:27:03 PM »
AV, I saw that you and DL2000 got your visa approval email today. Congrats!!

If you see this post, could you keep us on the forum updated on how your ToR application shakes out?

My wife and I applied for our ToR this week, but now I think I messed up by saying we're not importing pets or animals, when in fact we're planning to fly our labradoodle over.  ???  I'm thinking we'll have to check with HMR&C to see if we need to amend our ToR or file a new one just for the dog.

Well, not approval. Decision email. We find out on Monday. :-O Still, we're thrilled to have some progress.

You do NOT include pets on your ToR unless you're shipping your animals along with your boxes. Since it's a 5-7 week trip, I hope not!!

Pets, if they fly with you on the plane or in cargo hold, have separate paperwork. And really really complicated stuff, so be careful. You do, indeed, basically file a separate one for your dog but it's along with 50 thousand other papers.

We are on week three with still no ToR number in sight. Sigh!!!! You should call the UK customs number to make sure they've received it, as they don't give you any auto-generated reply. They claimed that my email didn't go through. Since it's around a 4 week wait, that's a LOT of time wasted if they never got your email.

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 12:15:32 AM »
Well, not approval. Decision email.

Oops, I knew that, AV  :-[ Congratulations all the same!

We are on week three with still no ToR number in sight. Sigh!!!! You should call the UK customs number to make sure they've received it,

It is a sort of black hole for the ToR isn't it? I decided to send mine not to the email address but to the physical address instead, and then my local post office said they couldn't find the postal code in their online system.  :o USPS took the item anyway, and it has a tracking number.  Only later did I remembered the advice here never to use the postal service for visa stuff because it can take so long  :\\\'(

Thanks for the advice to call HMR&C. We'll do it.

Hope you get your ToR # soon (and your visa approval, of course), and that you can let us know how that part went.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 12:26:41 AM »
Oops, I knew that, AV  :-[ Congratulations all the same!

It is a sort of black hole for the ToR isn't it? I decided to send mine not to the email address but to the physical address instead, and then my local post office said they couldn't find the postal code in their online system.  :o USPS took the item anyway, and it has a tracking number.  Only later did I remembered the advice here never to use the postal service for visa stuff because it can take so long  :\\\'(

Thanks for the advice to call HMR&C. We'll do it.

Hope you get your ToR # soon (and your visa approval, of course), and that you can let us know how that part went.

There is a UK customs number to call about the ToR. If you can't find it, let me know. It took my wife two calls at about 30 minutes each to get it sorted out. They claimed they couldn't open the first two emails! Sigh.

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 01:54:15 AM »
I have a question.  Most of the last minute flights I'm looking at do not allow extra luggage if booked last minute.  I'm thinking I should consolidate into one suitcase and mail a box.  It's just old, not new clothes.  Does ToR apply to a box of clothes?  I can always thrift store them and buy new stuff once there if it's too much hassle.  We also have to keep an eye on news in case a laptop ban is suddenly instituted.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 02:12:45 AM »
I have a question.  Most of the last minute flights I'm looking at do not allow extra luggage if booked last minute.  I'm thinking I should consolidate into one suitcase and mail a box.  It's just old, not new clothes.  Does ToR apply to a box of clothes?  I can always thrift store them and buy new stuff once there if it's too much hassle.  We also have to keep an eye on news in case a laptop ban is suddenly instituted.

You mean like send my bag? I'm not sure, but I *think* you *might* be okay if you label it an unsolicited gift with a value of £29 or under.

Or I wonder if you can slap a ToR number on it. I honestly don't know! I can ask though.

Is it prohibitively expensive to pay for a second suitcase once you're at the airport?

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 02:30:12 AM »
You mean like send my bag? I'm not sure, but I *think* you *might* be okay if you label it an unsolicited gift with a value of £29 or under.

Or I wonder if you can slap a ToR number on it. I honestly don't know! I can ask though.

Is it prohibitively expensive to pay for a second suitcase once you're at the airport?

Point is, I have stuff in two suitcases, I need to get it down to one or some of my flight choices go away.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »
Point is, I have stuff in two suitcases, I need to get it down to one or some of my flight choices go away.

Right, but I think you can buy a second suitcase upgrade at the airport. It will cost more, but I thought it was possible. No?

Look: https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/book-plan/extras/baggage/excess-baggage.jsp

However, the sendmybag is a shipping option. https://www.sendmybag.com/how-it-works

Whether you need a ToR, I'm not sure. But I would think you could use the same ToR number as your original shipment.

Failing that, like I said, I'd ship it and declare it as an unsolicited gift.

Then you're down to one suitcase.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab