Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: If you will ship your belongings to the UK, please read this first!  (Read 3259 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: If you will ship your belongings to the UK, please read this first!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
Right, but I think you can buy a second suitcase upgrade at the airport. It will cost more, but I thought it was possible. No?

Look: https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/book-plan/extras/baggage/excess-baggage.jsp

However, the sendmybag is a shipping option. https://www.sendmybag.com/how-it-works

Whether you need a ToR, I'm not sure. But I would think you could use the same ToR number as your original shipment.

Failing that, like I said, I'd ship it and declare it as an unsolicited gift.

Then you're down to one suitcase.

I paid for a second checked bag at the gate for $100 When I flew American. Cost might be a bit higher but it let me bring in another 50 pound bag.

I also paid an overage fee on one cause it weighed 53 pounds. Much cheaper than paying to ship stuff!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 16
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »
Send My Bag does require a TOR number if you are relocating, but you are able to use the same one as you do to ship any belongings-if you applied for and received one. It's cheaper than the extra/oversized/overweight bag option for most air carriers.

• Liked: 210
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 02:37:28 AM »
Send My Bag does require a TOR number if you are relocating, but you are able to use the same one as you do to ship any belongings-if you applied for and received one. It's cheaper than the extra/oversized/overweight bag option for most air carriers.

How long did it take you to receive your ToR? We've passed week 3 with no number in sight.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 02:52:39 AM »
It was three weeks almost to the day. Applied via email on May 4, received the email with the unique TOR number on May 26. I did call the day after submitting to ensure they received it. Waited on hold 40 minutes-I know that was crazy-but finally got a nice person who confirmed our application and said it seemed in order. All of 35 seconds conversation. But at least we knew they had it.

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 02:58:30 AM »
It was three weeks almost to the day. Applied via email on May 4, received the email with the unique TOR number on May 26. I did call the day after submitting to ensure they received it. Waited on hold 40 minutes-I know that was crazy-but finally got a nice person who confirmed our application and said it seemed in order. All of 35 seconds conversation. But at least we knew they had it.

Ugh! My wife called them twice, for 30 minutes each, for them to claim they didn't receive it. Then that they hadn't received the second attempt. Finally they got the third. And nothing! Even though they, too, said everything looked in order. It's been two weeks since she called. :(

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 03:03:14 AM »
One thing I was told is that their system can only accept a 5mb attachment. So, I made sure I was under that. But if it's too big a file it doesn't necessarily get kicked back. I'd guess if they told you they got it two weeks ago, you'll get the number in another week. I'd hope. It seems pretty much a straightforward thing. As long as you've provided what they suggest you should be okay. Good luck though.

• Liked: 325
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 03:23:21 AM »
Ours took exactly 3 weeks, too.

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
One thing I was told is that their system can only accept a 5mb attachment. So, I made sure I was under that. But if it's too big a file it doesn't necessarily get kicked back. I'd guess if they told you they got it two weeks ago, you'll get the number in another week. I'd hope. It seems pretty much a straightforward thing. As long as you've provided what they suggest you should be okay. Good luck though.

Their OWN info told me 10 MB. Obviously, it got rejected. My wife got the file small enough and sent it again and they said they accepted it. But still! They told us they would honor the original submission date, not the date we called (about a week later). But who knows.

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »
Oh and yeah, our paperwork was perfect. It was such a cinch compared to UKVI. :P

• Liked: 325
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 04:59:37 AM »
So yesterday I unpacked both suitcases, then repacked the larger one with a very critical eye.  Good coat? Yes.  Ratty old bathrobe?  No.  Good tshirts? Yes.  Tshirts with stains/tiny tears?  No.  5 sweaters?  Packed the two newest, best ones.  There were 30 pairs of underwear and 27 pairs of socks.  I packed 7 and 7.  Do I really and truly need 15 pairs of jeans and yoga pants?  No I do not.  2 pairs jeans and 2 yoga pants.  One pair of pajamas. 
3 bras, not 8.  My really nice clothes were already shipped. 3 pairs of shoes, not 8.  Got the suitcase crammed full, then looked at the leftovers.  Nothing I couldn't live without.  I figured with the age of the items, the monetary value was not worth even the extra baggage fee.  So I made up a bag for Goodwill.  I gave my extra brand new suitcase to exwife 2.  Problem solved.

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 05:15:47 AM »
So yesterday I unpacked both suitcases, then repacked the larger one with a very critical eye.  Good coat? Yes.  Ratty old bathrobe?  No.  Good tshirts? Yes.  Tshirts with stains/tiny tears?  No.  5 sweaters?  Packed the two newest, best ones.  There were 30 pairs of underwear and 27 pairs of socks.  I packed 7 and 7.  Do I really and truly need 15 pairs of jeans and yoga pants?  No I do not.  2 pairs jeans and 2 yoga pants.  One pair of pajamas. 
3 bras, not 8.  My really nice clothes were already shipped. 3 pairs of shoes, not 8.  Got the suitcase crammed full, then looked at the leftovers.  Nothing I couldn't live without.  I figured with the age of the items, the monetary value was not worth even the extra baggage fee.  So I made up a bag for Goodwill.  I gave my extra brand new suitcase to exwife 2.  Problem solved.

Perfect!

If we get a yes for our visa tomorrow, I'm planning to get rid of at least half my wardrobe. Then buy a few strategic new items, like jeans and underwear (very picky about the latter).

It's amazing how much stuff we accumulate and how much stuff can go once we put our minds to it.

• Liked: 53
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 04:16:35 PM »
I'm just flying over with a couple suitcases because there will never be a need for the Texas summer clothing I own (lol so happy about that) but do I need a TOR for my cat using a relocation service?

• Liked: 4
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2017, 07:56:11 PM »

You do NOT include pets on your ToR unless you're shipping your animals along with your boxes. Since it's a 5-7 week trip, I hope not!!

Pets, if they fly with you on the plane or in cargo hold, have separate paperwork. And really really complicated stuff, so be careful. You do, indeed, basically file a separate one for your dog but it's along with 50 thousand other papers.

From what the ToR page says, the new ToR1 replaces old forms that used to have separate forms for pets (C4) and goods (C3).  So they should go on the same ToR, no? https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-transfer-of-residence-tor-relief-tor01%20

Also, on the page I linked, which is the only source I have seen for the ToR1 info, it only offers me the option of mailing in. Where did you find the email option?
Met British husband here in US: September 2006
First son born: November 2007
Married: September 2011
Online application submitted: April 23 2018
Hoping to move to the UK: July 2018
Biometrics appointment: May 14 2018
Biometrics actually done (walk in): April 30 2018
Shipped to Sheffield: May 1 2018
Application arrival in Sheffield email: May 3 2018
Decision made email: May 10 2018
Passport received: May 14 2018
Decision: APPROVED!!!!

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »
From what the ToR page says, the new ToR1 replaces old forms that used to have separate forms for pets (C4) and goods (C3).  So they should go on the same ToR, no? https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-transfer-of-residence-tor-relief-tor01%20

Also, on the page I linked, which is the only source I have seen for the ToR1 info, it only offers me the option of mailing in. Where did you find the email option?
Assuming that you are not shipping your pets in a sea container, they should not be included in the tor. You may do another separate tor or similar paper work just for your pets, or you may do something different. As I didn't bring pets, I'm not sure.

I would have to look up the email address.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 10:55:23 PM »
Assuming that you are not shipping your pets in a sea container, they should not be included in the tor. You may do another separate tor or similar paper work just for your pets, or you may do something different. As I didn't bring pets, I'm not sure.

I would have to look up the email address.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cargo company I spoke to required the new TOR for shipping pets ... there may still be some confusion, but it was very clear on their list of requirements.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab