Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: If you will ship your belongings to the UK, please read this first!  (Read 3262 times)

• Liked: 210
Re: If you will ship your belongings to the UK, please read this first!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 11:41:07 PM »
The cargo company I spoke to required the new TOR for shipping pets ... there may still be some confusion, but it was very clear on their list of requirements.
Yes but it is separate from any other boxes you may ship with upak etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 4
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 11:37:57 PM »
The cargo company I spoke to required the new TOR for shipping pets ... there may still be some confusion, but it was very clear on their list of requirements.

I'm sorry I still don't quite understand because I haven't actually gotten the ToR yet, I don't know what it looks like etc.   Are you saying that I will need a completely separate ToR application for the pets? As part of the online questionnaire they ask if you are also importing pets and require some information about the pets.  It seems then that this one ToR would cover both our family items and our pets, no?  From what I understand this is a new system (the consolidation of multiple ToR forms to one ToR1) and I'm sure it's causing confusion.

A few more questions:
We are filling the ToR1 out with my husband as the primary. We ALL still live in the US (me, hubby, and 2 sons) and he's in the process of finding a job in the UK (note we do not need him to find a job we could apply for my visa with our savings however I would prefer he already have a job for obvious reasons).  We want to get the ToR going though so I am planning on using my mother-in-laws address for our normal place of residence in the UK. Any issue there? If we have her write a letter stating that we plan to live with her is that sufficient as our proof of registration?

The last page of the ToR1 form asks for your current place of residence which I presume is where they will send back our results.  We have to vacate our present home in the next 30 days so I was thinking of giving my mother's address (also in the US) for the form to be returned, BUT it will not be our "current place of residence". Will be faulted somehow for listing my mother's address as our current residence when we a) we do not live there and b) it is NOT the address we give as the address on pg 4 of "where we reduced before moving to the UK".

Thanks!

Thanks all for your insight!
Met British husband here in US: September 2006
First son born: November 2007
Married: September 2011
Online application submitted: April 23 2018
Hoping to move to the UK: July 2018
Biometrics appointment: May 14 2018
Biometrics actually done (walk in): April 30 2018
Shipped to Sheffield: May 1 2018
Application arrival in Sheffield email: May 3 2018
Decision made email: May 10 2018
Passport received: May 14 2018
Decision: APPROVED!!!!

• Liked: 210
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 03:15:38 AM »
I'm sorry I still don't quite understand because I haven't actually gotten the ToR yet, I don't know what it looks like etc.   Are you saying that I will need a completely separate ToR application for the pets? As part of the online questionnaire they ask if you are also importing pets and require some information about the pets.  It seems then that this one ToR would cover both our family items and our pets, no?  From what I understand this is a new system (the consolidation of multiple ToR forms to one ToR1) and I'm sure it's causing confusion.

A few more questions:
We are filling the ToR1 out with my husband as the primary. We ALL still live in the US (me, hubby, and 2 sons) and he's in the process of finding a job in the UK (note we do not need him to find a job we could apply for my visa with our savings however I would prefer he already have a job for obvious reasons).  We want to get the ToR going though so I am planning on using my mother-in-laws address for our normal place of residence in the UK. Any issue there? If we have her write a letter stating that we plan to live with her is that sufficient as our proof of registration?

The last page of the ToR1 form asks for your current place of residence which I presume is where they will send back our results.  We have to vacate our present home in the next 30 days so I was thinking of giving my mother's address (also in the US) for the form to be returned, BUT it will not be our "current place of residence". Will be faulted somehow for listing my mother's address as our current residence when we a) we do not live there and b) it is NOT the address we give as the address on pg 4 of "where we reduced before moving to the UK".

Thanks!

Thanks all for your insight!
That doesn't matter. Question is, what exactly will you ship to U.K.? Pets only?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 957
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 03:59:45 AM »

Hi Sierradenver, this is the note I received from my tentative pet shipper regarding the TOR1 form:

*Please note that the importation process in the UK will change:
From 1st April 2017, the procedures for clearing live animals into the UK will change.
It is important that anyone scheduled to import live animals into the UK from 1st April is made aware of these changes and their implications.

To possibly avoid the charge of import tax please check the information and application on the following link:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-transfer-of-residence-tor-relief-tor01

Owners will need to complete online then print, sign and return to HMRC at this email address nch@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

Please contact the supplied email address (nch@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk) if you have any questions about the new import process.

I haven't completed it yet, but to me that sounds like it is all on one form now.

Due to moving, you may want to contact the e-mail address above to find out if you're able to give your mother's house in the US as the location for them to return it. On the form instructions it states to include evidence that you were living in the house you are downsizing (like purchase contract, lease etc.) to the best of your ability: 

Enclosures
The following documents should be enclosed with your application:
• a copy of your passport, including your visa if necessary
• proof of registration - this document should show you've taken up residence in the UK or another country of the European Union (EU), and
the date on which you did so, you may also send some other, comparable document which provides reasonable evidence for this purpose
• two signed lists of goods, state the goods you wish to import on this list and identify any goods not eligible for ToR
• invoices, proofs of guarantee etc. for the goods you wish to import (commercial documents)
• your tenancy or purchase agreement of your home outside the UK

Enclose copies of any documents which show you're going to live in the EU, for example, employment contract, employer’s statement, work
permit or your tenancy or purchase agreement for the home you plan to live in.
This is an illustrative list. If you don't have the above documents you may send alternative evidence to support your claim to ToR.

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 11:50:54 PM »

Enclosures
• proof of registration - this document should show you've taken up residence in the UK or another country of the European Union (EU), and
the date on which you did so, you may also send some other, comparable document which provides reasonable evidence for this purpose
• two signed lists of goods, state the goods you wish to import on this list and identify any goods not eligible for ToR
• invoices, proofs of guarantee etc. for the goods you wish to import (commercial documents)

Thank you Margo and A/V for the replies.  I will be sending a letter from my in-laws in the UK along with a non-certified copy of their deed as proof of registration. I'm hoping that will be sufficient.

Regarding the signed lists of goods, for those who have already done this.  Are quantities necessary or if simple description sufficient at this point? For example is it sufficient to say clothing or do I need to list how many boxes of clothing? We have not packed yet so I could not list that now. I do understand that when we actually place our items on a shipping container that we will then have to itemize by boxes.

Thank you!

• Liked: 60
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 04:52:48 PM »
Regarding the signed lists of goods, for those who have already done this.  Are quantities necessary or if simple description sufficient at this point? For example is it sufficient to say clothing or do I need to list how many boxes of clothing? We have not packed yet so I could not list that now. I do understand that when we actually place our items on a shipping container that we will then have to itemize by boxes.

The list I sent with my TOR application was extremely vague, because my moving company did NOT itemize when they packed everything. I was not happy, but apparently it was good enough. You should be fine just saying "clothing".

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2018, 08:25:30 PM »
This a question for all of you on this thread who are now >1 year out from your move, presumably.  Our family's plans were postponed and we are now leaving this summer.  I am about to apply for my ToR finally and there are a few of us on the forum asking the same questions.

Does the list need to be exhaustive or were you all fine when you arrived with less detailed lists?

Is it ok to over report and then show up with less? EG if you're creating your list based on what you have rather than what you ACTUALLY pack into the shopping container.

Thank you to you all for any and all insight and experiences!

• Liked: 30
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
I looked into sending my cat over here in September (my parents have her for now) and I didn't realize I needed to apply for a ToR over a month before she comes... If I just pay the taxes on her 'value' can I just skip the ToR? She is a pound cat so her purchase cost was only $50 so it sounds like it might just be easier to pay taxes on her.
Met: Aug 2013
Started Dating: Oct 2013
Engaged: Sept 2017
Online app submitted: 17 Oct 2017
Biometrics & mailed in: 20 Oct 2017
Received by Sheffield: 23 Oct 2017
Decision email:

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 10:46:48 PM »
The TOR is easy, don't leave it to chance that they may decide a much higher value on something. I was specific for high value items, and generic for "clothes owned longer than 6 months" "craft supplies" etc. I had no issues with tax on my crate that just arrived :)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 674
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 12:17:23 AM »
Been here about a year, listed only general categories on my TOR roster. "Glassware" "baking pans" "hats" "Women's clothing" "Women's Shoes" "crafting supplies/sewing machine" "books" "used DVDs" "table" "lamp" "rug" - that kind of thing, in no great detail.

I saw a list somewhere, at the time, that said to not say "sporting goods" without being more specific (in case they were firearms) and not to say "home decor" but more specifically "framed print" or "ceramic statues"....  Wish I could remember where I saw that, but it's long since been forgotten.

I had about 100 boxes of stuff listed on my TOR, plus some larger items (table, lamps, trunk) and it was approved. I ended up shipping like 130 boxes. Was told I didn't need to update the list they had, as everything was on the shipping company's manifest. (I had pre-packed the boxes, and they verified the contents and then labeled the boxes as carrier packed.)

I do not remember valuing the boxes when I sent in the preliminary TOR paperwork.  I did create a valuation for my shipper's insurance coverage, and so it's possible that they provided that to UK customs on my behalf when our crates arrived.

I listed our hotel as our address in-country, with a note that we would be finding permanent housing after arrival. I was to notify our shipper, and I assume he then notified the TOR people, as our goods arrived a few months later as scheduled with no problems at all.

Hope this helps!

• Liked: 30
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »
How early can I apply for a ToR? And do I need a specific date of entry to apply? My parents are bringing my cat in September but we don't know what day yet. Also, is it an issue that I will have been in the UK for 9 months by then?
Met: Aug 2013
Started Dating: Oct 2013
Engaged: Sept 2017
Online app submitted: 17 Oct 2017
Biometrics & mailed in: 20 Oct 2017
Received by Sheffield: 23 Oct 2017
Decision email:

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 10:12:07 PM »
How early can I apply for a ToR? And do I need a specific date of entry to apply? My parents are bringing my cat in September but we don't know what day yet. Also, is it an issue that I will have been in the UK for 9 months by then?
I believe you need to do it within a certain amount of time from when you move and it is good for 12 months. If you are already in the UK I'd complete it now!

• Liked: 68
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
Been here about a year, listed only general categories on my TOR roster. "Glassware" "baking pans" "hats" "Women's clothing" "Women's Shoes" "crafting supplies/sewing machine" "books" "used DVDs" "table" "lamp" "rug" - that kind of thing, in no great detail.

I saw a list somewhere, at the time, that said to not say "sporting goods" without being more specific (in case they were firearms) and not to say "home decor" but more specifically "framed print" or "ceramic statues"....  Wish I could remember where I saw that, but it's long since been forgotten.

I had about 100 boxes of stuff listed on my TOR, plus some larger items (table, lamps, trunk) and it was approved. I ended up shipping like 130 boxes. Was told I didn't need to update the list they had, as everything was on the shipping company's manifest. (I had pre-packed the boxes, and they verified the contents and then labeled the boxes as carrier packed.)

I do not remember valuing the boxes when I sent in the preliminary TOR paperwork.  I did create a valuation for my shipper's insurance coverage, and so it's possible that they provided that to UK customs on my behalf when our crates arrived.

I listed our hotel as our address in-country, with a note that we would be finding permanent housing after arrival. I was to notify our shipper, and I assume he then notified the TOR people, as our goods arrived a few months later as scheduled with no problems at all.

Hope this helps!

Did you use upakweship? I just used them and this sounds exactly like what I did with them.
Type of Application: Settlement Spouse Visa (non priority)
Met Husband: 10 September 2015
Got married: 13 October 2017
Online application: 26 Nov 2017
Decision email received: 8 March 2018 (68 BD)
Passport received: 12 March 2018 - APPROVED!
Arrived in the UK: 31 March 2018
FLR(M) Extension Submitted: 15 September 2020
Submitted Documents and Biometrics via IDV: 8 October 2020
FLR(M) Approval: 30 December 2020
SET(M) Submitted: 15 July 2023
Submitted Docs & Biometrics: 10 August 2023
SET (M) Approved: 13 October 2023

• Liked: 239
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 10:15:45 PM »
Did you use upakweship? I just used them and this sounds exactly like what I did with them.

Did you like them? I’ve read a lot about them but like to hear from people here. I don’t have a lot to ship through them. Would end up being two large plastic totes full. I’m taking smaller items and clothes in my luggage.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 674
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2018, 08:28:12 AM »
No, we did not use UPak. We started to, and I had everything planned out, and had had many conversations with them. I paid to have them ship pallets to our home and a large crate.They informed me shortly before the move that they could not get their truck into our apartment complex, but we could take our stuff to their depot and load there. When we went to the depot with our U-Haul's worth of boxes and furniture, the depot knew nothing of the "you can pack there" part and, in fact, was a freight subcontractor that they used.

It went downhill from there. (I'll leave out the details, as they are elsewhere in this board.) We ended up going with Rainier, and within two days we were sitting in the air-conditioned waiting room of Sullivan Movers watching Indiana Jones on their VCR and being plied with cool drinks while their guys unloaded our U-Haul on their dock and crated everything up in very sturdy plywood crates.  It took them about six hours to wrap and fit everything in the crates. They got every last item in, plus a bit more than we had planned. (We'd thrown some extra items in the truck to go on a "space available basis.)

The final tally for that was just about the same as the total cost for UPak was going to be, and our stuff was in sturdy plywood crates, professionally "international wrapped" with them taking care of the manifests and all the paperwork. I cannot recommend Rainier more highly.

We used Rainier's consolidation service, where they put your crates in a warehouse, and when there's enough people's stuff built up for a shipping container to a destination they put it all in one and dispatch it. They even gave us the info on the ship, so we were able to watch go through the Panama Canal and see where it was, on the ship tracker.  They crated our stuff in the last week in April and it arrived in June, within a couple of days of the estimated date, which was fine with us. The local delivery company wasn't as impressive as Sullivan was, but the stuff got here safe and sound.

Needless to say, I recommend Rainier highly. It was either a Wednesday or a Thursday night that I phoned them, and we were packed by Sullivan that Saturday. The move was without any problems at all, from that point forward.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:38:44 AM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links