Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Gifts for first-time mum  (Read 2070 times)

• Liked: 85
Gifts for first-time mum
« on: May 15, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »
Sooo a mate of mine is knocked up, and it's her first, and I'm struggling with what to get her to make ::her:: life easier after the child-person arrives. She doesn't have a registry or anything like that, which means I'm left to my own devices.

First thought of a big, fat JustEat gift certificate, but you can eat only so much takeaway. Thinking a meal-delivery service for a couple weeks would be very useful, but no idea what's good. Cook? Oakhouse? Another one?

Alternately (or in addition), I could put together a box of stuff that she might not even realise she'll need. A sort of just-in-case care package?

Aside from medical knowledge gleaned in my job, I know zero about the details of pregnancy and post-pregnancy logistics. So any guidance, brands, recommendations are much appreciated!

• Liked: 537
Re: Gifts for first-time mum
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:21:44 PM »
Sooo a mate of mine is knocked up, and it's her first, and I'm struggling with what to get her to make ::her:: life easier after the child-person arrives. She doesn't have a registry or anything like that, which means I'm left to my own devices.

First thought of a big, fat JustEat gift certificate, but you can eat only so much takeaway. Thinking a meal-delivery service for a couple weeks would be very useful, but no idea what's good. Cook? Oakhouse? Another one?

Alternately (or in addition), I could put together a box of stuff that she might not even realise she'll need. A sort of just-in-case care package?

Aside from medical knowledge gleaned in my job, I know zero about the details of pregnancy and post-pregnancy logistics. So any guidance, brands, recommendations are much appreciated!

I've had a ton of friends have babies back in the states, but a lot of those gifts are for brands not available here.

Meals are always a good one, you might want to see if your friend already has someone who's helping with that right away and then have yours start after that ends. Sometimes their mum comes by or friends put together a rotation. 😀

Personally, I tend to buy gifts for the baby that are for a few months down the line. Lots of people buy newborn stuff, but that baby will grow pretty quickly and outgrow all the cute tiny things. Baby clothes here are cheaper here though.

You could look into a diaper service for them. That's one of the most expensive things about babies. There are disposable services that send diapers on a schedule and cloth ones where they collect, wash and return them.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:29:42 PM »

I'd buy her a spa day! She'll need a treat and some R&R after creating a human and looking after it for a while.  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
Meals are not a done thing here and I desperately wish they were.  I would absolutely go with meals!  Supper is an app in my area that does fresh meals as an alternative to takeaway.  Or just make something and take it by.

A bottle of champagne to toast the new arrival would be nice.

Spa days are awesome but see if they have an expiration date.  I didn't have a babysitter with my first until she started at nursery at a year old and it would have been impossible to use before having a sitter.  Hopefully she has a better support network!   ;)

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
Meals are not a done thing here and I desperately wish they were.  I would absolutely go with meals!  Supper is an app in my area that does fresh meals as an alternative to takeaway.  Or just make something and take it by.

A bottle of champagne to toast the new arrival would be nice.

Spa days are awesome but see if they have an expiration date.  I didn't have a babysitter with my first until she started at nursery at a year old and it would have been impossible to use before having a sitter.  Hopefully she has a better support network!   ;)

Supper looks fab, but isn't in her area (Dorking), boo. The Dorking thing would also make it difficult to take something round. Though I imagine that if I were to take the Thameslink down there while cradling an 8L crock pot, I'd have a cracking pub story in the end.

Anyway, it's good to know that food would be appreciated (don't give a toss if it's not a done thing, that only makes it more useful). Leaning towards Cook -- https://www.cookfood.net/ -- because they offer vouchers, online ordering and delivery. That way, she can get whatever she wants, stock the freezer, buy some more later, have lots of flexibility. She's not (as she tells it) either a very good nor very committed cook and, without getting into unnecessary detail, I don't think there's necessarily going to be a strong nearby support network. So this seems like the most helpful way to go?

I agree about spa things: It's a nice gesture, but even if you get one without an expiration date, there's still got the stress of planning and coordinating everything, and that can become a burden that detracts from the experience.

Champagne is also a good shout! Or maybe gin, knowing her ...

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 04:53:28 PM »

Haha, I was thinking dad (or someone else) would just babysit. Shows what I know about having a baby.....zero!  ;D 

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 05:48:40 PM »
Supper looks fab, but isn't in her area (Dorking), boo. The Dorking thing would also make it difficult to take something round. Though I imagine that if I were to take the Thameslink down there while cradling an 8L crock pot, I'd have a cracking pub story in the end.

Anyway, it's good to know that food would be appreciated (don't give a toss if it's not a done thing, that only makes it more useful). Leaning towards Cook -- https://www.cookfood.net/ -- because they offer vouchers, online ordering and delivery. That way, she can get whatever she wants, stock the freezer, buy some more later, have lots of flexibility. She's not (as she tells it) either a very good nor very committed cook and, without getting into unnecessary detail, I don't think there's necessarily going to be a strong nearby support network. So this seems like the most helpful way to go?

I agree about spa things: It's a nice gesture, but even if you get one without an expiration date, there's still got the stress of planning and coordinating everything, and that can become a burden that detracts from the experience.

Champagne is also a good shout! Or maybe gin, knowing her ...

Seriously, meals are so awesome.  And if you do cook, if you made some things for her to freeze (I mean you can't go wrong with spaghetti sauce), it goes a long way!

I had my second 2.5 weeks ago.  The day after we came home from the hospital (less than 24 hours at home), we had my inlaws over where my husband felt we had to have a BBQ...  FFS!  I just had a freaking baby, had spent a week in the hospital, my three year old had a horrible virus with a fever, we were all exhausted.  Yet they weren't bringing US food, we were making THEM food.  Really?!?!

Sorry but that rant felt good!   ;)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 06:46:42 PM »
I loved receiving a voucher for next and mothercare as there were so many cute outfits I wanted to buy for my newborn daughter
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 07:56:07 PM »
Seriously, meals are so awesome.  And if you do cook, if you made some things for her to freeze (I mean you can't go wrong with spaghetti sauce), it goes a long way!

I had my second 2.5 weeks ago.  The day after we came home from the hospital (less than 24 hours at home), we had my inlaws over where my husband felt we had to have a BBQ...  FFS!  I just had a freaking baby, had spent a week in the hospital, my three year old had a horrible virus with a fever, we were all exhausted.  Yet they weren't bringing US food, we were making THEM food.  Really?!?!

Sorry but that rant felt good!   ;)

Let it out, let it be free! That is genuinely bonkers, and you must write a lifestyle book on self-control that sells millions, and then use all the money to have a personal chef who cooks exclusively for you. I pledge my support to the give-KFdancer-a-bloody-break foundation.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 08:02:22 PM »
Let it out, let it be free! That is genuinely bonkers, and you must write a lifestyle book on self-control that sells millions, and then use all the money to have a personal chef who cooks exclusively for you. I pledge my support to the give-KFdancer-a-bloody-break foundation.

Ha ha!

Thankfully we have babysitters now!  World of difference.

Forgot to say gin is a fabulous idea.  She will LOVE that.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab