Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Insurance on a US license?  (Read 785 times)

• Liked: 32
Insurance on a US license?
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
Hi folks! 

Hoping someone can help me understand the insurance requirements as a USC driving in the UK.  I haven't yet applied for my provisional license but am planning to do so in the next few weeks.  And I'll take the advice of others before me and sign up for lessons.  But in the meantime, I'd like to be able to drive my husband's car when needed, and I'm not sure whether my husband can/should add me to his insurance while I only have a US license.

Thanks for the advice!

• Liked: 537
Re: Insurance on a US license?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 11:50:55 PM »
Your husband either has to have insurance that allows other drivers to drive the car or he needs to add you to the insurance.

Here in the UK it's one or the other. It's very unlike the US.

They insure the driver here or the car is the best way to look at it.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:49:21 AM »
Yup, just have him call up and add you.  Make send the rate through the roof.  May not.  All depends on the company.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 01:43:20 PM »
Thanks ladies!  He tried adding me via his insurance company's website yesterday, and it said he needed a special passcode to make changes via the web....and that they'll mail him a passcode in a week.  Le sigh.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:15:48 PM »
Thanks ladies!  He tried adding me via his insurance company's website yesterday, and it said he needed a special passcode to make changes via the web....and that they'll mail him a passcode in a week.  Le sigh.

It might be better just to call them on the phone. Sometimes these websites can't deal with information which is out of the ordinary, like your driving on an American license, and you don't want to find that you are accidentally uninsured.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »
It might be better just to call them on the phone. Sometimes these websites can't deal with information which is out of the ordinary, like your driving on an American license, and you don't want to find that you are accidentally uninsured.

.....aaaaand his company won't add me.  Something about their underwriting policy won't allow drivers without a UK driving history.

Any suggestions on other companies we can try? I thought I've seen Aviva recommended on here before.

Thanks!!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 01:48:38 PM »
.....aaaaand his company won't add me.  Something about their underwriting policy won't allow drivers without a UK driving history.

Any suggestions on other companies we can try? I thought I've seen Aviva recommended on here before.

Thanks!!

Yup, try Aviva, they are your best bet.

• Liked: 210
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »
My wife added me on hers (Bank of Scotland). It was actually cheaper after adding me! (She was rather miffed, hehe) :D
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 02:22:57 AM »
Insurance in the UK is based on the driver/car combination. You cannot give permission to someone to drive your car and have it covered. Instead, the driver has to be added to the policy via the company.

NFU Mutual insured me while I was driving on my US license. I have kept with them since I have received my UK license. You just need to call the other companies to see if they will cover you.

It is not a discrimination against a US driver. It is just a discrimination against drivers who does not have a UK history.
Terry
USC
Tier 2 work visa Nov 2012 (renewed 2015)
ILR (Indefinte Leave to Remain) Mar 2018
Retired Fall 2018

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab