Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things you desperately miss?  (Read 4713 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Things you desperately miss?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »
I'm 1/2 Mexican so going to Taco Bell is like being a traitor to "La Raza" but this girl has been there because I can be lazy AF and sometimes I get a hankering for a cheap taco that I know I'll regret later but at that time it's so good. I always pull the "English husband made me do it" if my people see me with sachets of TB "Fire" hot sauce.

I haven't been to TB in five years but the curiosity got to me. My son's best friend is a manager there and he told me that Mountain Dew Baja Blast specifically isn't even sold in stores anymore and only TB sells it. But most, if not all, Mountain Dew products were pulled out of the UK around 1999. That's why you can't find Baja Blast in the UK.

Anyhow, he brought me this magical elixir y'all have been talking about. I don't know if it's my 46 years and my palate has changed but it was not to my liking at all. The 20's me would have been all over it. Now, I just sort of shuddered at the sweet. I had some tacos and that Blast and I felt so dirty and shamed. I won't be doing that again anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha never heard of La Raza but I can almost guarantee it's better quality...but I still love Taco Bell regardless hah. I do love the sauce packets as they say some good stuff on them if you've ever stopped to read them LOL

Interesting fact about the Mt Dew being pulled from the UK! I mean..we all know it's probably TERRIBLE for your body and I wouldn't normally drink MT. Dew products...but I can't help craving Baja Blast every now and then.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
I thought it was food!  Like maybe one of those Dorito tacos

Last time I was home, I went to a gas station that had some kind of cherry coke in the dispensar that was supposed to be high caffeine, good idea but it tasted terrible.

The coolest thing they had was ice that was specifically made for chewing!  It was soft and lovely and I must have chewed that giant cup of ice for 3 hours. 

• Liked: 111
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »
"La Raza" is literally translated as "The Race" but it means being true to your ethnicity (race) and in my case, being Mexican. But if I was ever motivated to own a Mexican restaurant (my father's partner of 28 years has owned one for 40 years so no!), I would definitely call it "La Raza"

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »

I had some tacos and that Blast and I felt so dirty and shamed. I won't be doing that again anytime soon

Funniest post of the day .

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »
I thought it was food!  Like maybe one of those Dorito tacos

Last time I was home, I went to a gas station that had some kind of cherry coke in the dispensar that was supposed to be high caffeine, good idea but it tasted terrible.

The coolest thing they had was ice that was specifically made for chewing!  It was soft and lovely and I must have chewed that giant cup of ice for 3 hours.

They've got cherry coke over here now. I absolutely loathe it....ut you can get it! haha :)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 04:01:54 PM »
"La Raza" is literally translated as "The Race" but it means being true to your ethnicity (race) and in my case, being Mexican. But if I was ever motivated to own a Mexican restaurant (my father's partner of 28 years has owned one for 40 years so no!), I would definitely call it "La Raza"

haha oh! I thought it was a chain or something! Would be a perfect idea for the name of a restaurant or even just a taco truck/Taco bell knock off...if you want to consider making that happen and open it near my house, I definitely wouldn' complain :)
My, how time flies....

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 04:02:21 PM »

Please cook me some Menudo!  I love proper Mexican restaurants.

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »
Please cook me some Menudo!  I love proper Mexican restaurants.

Oh menudo. You are speaking the words of my "love language" lol

I did make it in England ONCE. It was remarkably good as I brought dried chiles and hominy from home. I learned to make it from two of my aunts who have 10 children each and it never dawned on me to scale it down. You could only imagine the look of horror on my husband's face when we walked in the door and catches me wrestling a cow-size bit of tripe !!!! I was not allowed to make it again! I did put a lot in the freezer for those times I would get a hangover from hell but my drinking partner in crime, the husband, would take one look and it was all over!

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »
I always get a bit of credibility when visiting a Mexican restaurant when I order that.  Believe it or not, the Czechs make a tripe soup that is lovely as well.  Nice and spicy. 

When I grew up in NC, we never appreciated any Hispanic culture at all, other than eating at generic Mexican restaurants.  Even though my grandmother was obviously from Mexico, she told everyone she was from Spain!  However, when I left home and started living in California and Arizona, I really loved all the new Hispanic culture.  That's why it all has a soft spot in my heart, because it reminds me of those good times. 

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 04:35:47 PM »
For me, just the thought of tripe makes me queezy! As an American from Italian descent, one of my grandfather's LOVED eating tripe! I couldn't stand looking at it!
My, how time flies....

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
How do the Italians cook it?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 05:56:30 PM »
Chipotle! Heard there may be some chains in London but no good for us northerners

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 10
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »
ugh pleaseeeee i was literally JUST saying like 2 hours ago that I could go for some chipotle right now omg

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »
Chipotle! Heard there may be some chains in London but no good for us northerners

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it's available in London only right now. However, BarBurrito (a U.K. chain) is very similar and you can find those everywhere. I ate at one in Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester and it was very good. In fact, they had a pretty spicy chile sauce and that's important for me. It's not like Chipotle is really that special.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 06:37:18 PM »
Love going to Chipotle in London because it's just the same as far as I can tell.

Of course if I'm in London it's hard to decide between Chipotle and Wahaca.

My husband and I like the chain Chimichanga, worth a visit.  Here in Canterbury there is also a place called Cafe des Amis du Mexique and it was SO good.  Really interesting, but excellent.  So if anyone's in Kent you should try it.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

Sponsored Links