Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tory changes to sponsored based visas.  (Read 1523 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Tory changes to sponsored based visas.
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 05:00:17 PM »
I'm having a girl (due three weeks today actually) and I 100% agree that girls names are significantly easier! When we were talking about names (before we knew the gender) we always ended up naturally on girls names as the creativity seems to be there with girls names and everything is cute with them.

We shall be naming her Lily [smiley=daisy.gif]

Jack was our chosen boys name before knowing the gender  :)

Love it!

If ours was a girl (which we've known since 13 weeks pregnant it was a boy), the name would have likely been Zara.  Our daughter is Alice and we liked the idea of having names from A to Z.   ;D

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »
That's an interesting name.  I'd be worried he'll have to spell it his entire life.  Don't get me wrong, I like it overall.

What do you think about the importance of other people with the same name?  Like all I can think about is the TV character, but if it's your kid that association will stop soon enough.  When I was naming my kids, I turned down some names that were fine just because I knew someone once with that name who had some negative quality.  Maybe that was a mistake.

Eh,I had to spell it for a bazillion years and even had to adapt from Zee to Zed when I moved here.  And I lived to tell the tale.  My daughter is Alice and due to my Yankee accent everyone thinks I'm saying Alex so I always have to clarify her name.  And no one can spell my husband's name without help.  And people get my name wrong all the time.

Heck my last name now is Jones... and I have to spell that for people ALL. THE. TIME.   ;D  Jones.  You know, the most generic name of all time...   ::)

• Liked: 342
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »
Farming friends of mine wanted to call their daughter Ella. Until it was pointed out to them that as their son was called Sam,  Sam and Ella might not be good names for a farming family. ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:10:54 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 116
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 05:12:37 PM »
I mean, the TV reference to Frazer is pretty good.  You have a built in name--Niles--if you ever had another son.  ;D

Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »

You know, the most generic name of all time...   ::)

If you live in Wales, along with the surname Thomas.  :)

I couldn't believe it when I went to live in Wales and there were men called John Thomas.  ;D It turned out it doesn't mean the same in Wales as it does in England.

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 05:18:25 PM »
I mean, the TV reference to Frazer is pretty good.  You have a built in name--Niles--if you ever had another son.  ;D

I am closed for business.  My husband is not allowed near me until he's been cut and cleared!!!   ;D

I can't quite believe I have two!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2017, 05:24:18 PM »
Heck my last name now is Jones... and I have to spell that for people ALL. THE. TIME.   ;D  Jones.  You know, the most generic name of all time...   ::)

I feel you! Jones is my last name now, as well. I have one boy name that I want - John, after my father (who is, unfortunately, John Thomas - it definitely doesn't have the same meaning in the US so I am not even going to think about that). But I just can't do that to poor Johnny Jones. Urgh. But I like the name Frazer, especially with its significance to you.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »
Here is the full quote.

We will, therefore, continue to bear down on immigration from outside the European Union. We will increase the earnings thresholds for people wishing to sponsor migrants for family visas. We will toughen the visa requirements for students, to make sure that we maintain high standards. We will expect students to leave the country at the end of their course, unless they meet new, higher requirements that allow them to work in Britain after their studies have concluded. Overseas students will remain in the immigration statistics – in line with international definitions – and within scope of the government’s policy to reduce annual net migration.

Leaving the European Union means, for the first time in decades, that we will be able to control immigration from the European Union too. We will therefore establish an immigration policy that allows us to reduce and control the number of people who come to Britain from the European Union, while still allowing us to attract the skilled workers our economy needs.

Some people on other sites who seem to know about UK laws, saying that if the Tories get in, then this could be in by July for the spouse visas.

• Liked: 32
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2017, 05:54:30 PM »
I feel you! Jones is my last name now, as well. I have one boy name that I want - John, after my father (who is, unfortunately, John Thomas - it definitely doesn't have the same meaning in the US so I am not even going to think about that). But I just can't do that to poor Johnny Jones. Urgh. But I like the name Frazer, especially with its significance to you.

I'm totally loving this thread, btw!  We're having a boy, too, and admittedly, I was a little bummed when we first found out because there are so many girls names that I loved, and not really any boys names.  It was next to impossible picking something that we both liked and didn't have any name association.  Good luck!!!

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2017, 05:57:20 PM »
I'm having a girl (due three weeks today actually) and I 100% agree that girls names are significantly easier! When we were talking about names (before we knew the gender) we always ended up naturally on girls names as the creativity seems to be there with girls names and everything is cute with them.

We shall be naming her Lily [smiley=daisy.gif]

Jack was our chosen boys name before knowing the gender  :)

Not long now. :)

I love the flower names for girls, Lily, Jasmine, Rose.

My son is called Ben :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:59:36 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2017, 05:59:20 PM »
Oh my husband also says Frazer is a surname and not a first name.  That's one of his big arguments.  He needs to do better than that!   ;)

• Liked: 248
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2017, 06:00:59 PM »
When I was born the family put names into a hat and pulled one out!  True!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2017, 06:01:38 PM »

It's actually Frasier if you mean the tv show. ☺

I work with a UK Fraser (not the same). Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »
Oh my husband also says Frazer is a surname and not a first name.  That's one of his big arguments.  He needs to do better than that!   ;)

How about buying your husband a scalextric with a card on saying "love from Frazer". Work him into the name gently :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:13:48 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2017, 06:13:07 PM »
I'm totally loving this thread, btw!

It didn't start off as a nice thread, but we took it to a happy place. :)

We're having a boy, too,

When is your son due?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab