Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How long does spousal visa take?  (Read 487 times)

• Liked: 6
How long does spousal visa take?
« on: May 19, 2017, 04:19:06 AM »
I am originally from the U.K. and after 21 years we are selling up and moving back. The kids and I have dual citizenship but my wife just has US citizenship, so we will be applying for a spousal visa. The dilemma is which category? I am currently negotiating with my employer who is a big multinational to work remotely from there. They want to do that, but I have nothing in writing yet and they are trying to figure out how to do it. The complication is that although my company has a presence in the U.K., my department does not, so the internal accounting systems are messing things up and it is taking a long time to sort out.

Also, we are putting our house on the market it two weeks and being in the heart of a Silicon Valley, it will sell immediately and once that completes, possibly in July, we would easily qualify under the savings category, although from what I understand, you must have the money in an account for 6 months first.

We already have had an offer accepted on a house in the U.K. and we should be completing that towards the end of August. The kids are already enrolled in school starting in September, so we really do need to move by the end of August.

I am now getting concerned about how long the visa application will take as time is moving on and although we will qualify in multiple categories, I don't know if we do right at this time.

So does anyone know how long the whole process could take if we go for the premium processing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 79
Re: How long does spousal visa take?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 04:25:00 AM »
If you've lived in the house for more than 6 months, you don't need to have the money in a bank account for 6 months. Theoretically you could apply immediately as long as you had all the documents and such. Right now priority applications are about 25 working days. Last summer people have said premium was around 5/6 weeks max.  Non priority is 2 months and expected to rise during the summer rush.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 06:05:55 AM »
Ah, yes, if you wait until your house has sold before applying for the visa, you can use the proceeds from the sale to meet the financial requirement without having to worry about using your employment income.

As long as you owned the house for at least 6 months before it sold, and it sells for more than £62,500, you can apply for the visa as soon as the money from the sale enters your bank account.

So, you would apply under Category D: Cash Savings, showing you have £62,500 or more in your bank account from the sale of property you owned for at least 6 months. This is absolutely the easiest category to qualify in, so if you can use the house sale proceeds, I'd go for it over any other category.

As anxiousandwaiting said, if you pay for priority processing for the application, the visa should hopefully be processed within about 5-6 weeks of your application documents arriving in Sheffield :).

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »
I am originally from the U.K. and after 21 years we are selling up and moving back. The kids and I have dual citizenship but my wife just has US citizenship, so we will be applying for a spousal visa. The dilemma is which category? I am currently negotiating with my employer who is a big multinational to work remotely from there. They want to do that, but I have nothing in writing yet and they are trying to figure out how to do it. The complication is that although my company has a presence in the U.K., my department does not, so the internal accounting systems are messing things up and it is taking a long time to sort out.

Also, we are putting our house on the market it two weeks and being in the heart of a Silicon Valley, it will sell immediately and once that completes, possibly in July, we would easily qualify under the savings category, although from what I understand, you must have the money in an account for 6 months first.

We already have had an offer accepted on a house in the U.K. and we should be completing that towards the end of August. The kids are already enrolled in school starting in September, so we really do need to move by the end of August.

I am now getting concerned about how long the visa application will take as time is moving on and although we will qualify in multiple categories, I don't know if we do right at this time.

So does anyone know how long the whole process could take if we go for the premium processing?

As has been mentioned, you can use the proceeds (after all expenses are paid) from the sale of your house immediately.
If you apply before your UK house purchase completes in August, you will have to provide evidence of alternative arrangements to meet the accommodation requirement.
Living with friends/family, short term rental are all acceptable.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies. That helps a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links