Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Which Visa for Telecommuter with US Job Already?  (Read 446 times)

• Liked: 0
Which Visa for Telecommuter with US Job Already?
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:32:07 PM »
Hello, Everyone!
I have just returned from Northern Ireland, and have the chance of a lifetime.  I currently work as a telecommuter for two major US testing companies, so I can work from anywhere, but would continue to have a US bank account, phone number, and address to continue to work for them. However, I can live in Northern Ireland and still work these jobs.  I have been offered the rental of a lovely 3 BR cottage in NI, but am not sure what visa applies to me.  Would a visitor visa be the most appropriate? I would be self-sustained, and not taking a job an EU citizen would need, but don't seem to fit exactly in any visa category.

Would this allow me to rent the cottage and continue to work my telecommuting jobs? Must I apply for residency immediately, in order to rent the cottage?

Thanks very much!

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
Re: Which Visa for Telecommuter with US Job Already?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
You cannot work, paid or unpaid, even telecommuting, on any visitor visa.

You will need a work visa sponsored by your company, who will need to establish a presence there, apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship, and sponsor you. Perhaps they can partner with a UK company to do this for you.

There is no other way to do what you're asking. You can't just "apply for residency" unless you have a basis for doing so, and that means either citizenship or time spent on an appropriate visa -- work and student visas don't count.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 06:38:36 PM »
Hello, Everyone!
I have just returned from Northern Ireland, and have the chance of a lifetime.  I currently work as a telecommuter for two major US testing companies, so I can work from anywhere, but would continue to have a US bank account, phone number, and address to continue to work for them. However, I can live in Northern Ireland and still work these jobs.  I have been offered the rental of a lovely 3 BR cottage in NI, but am not sure what visa applies to me.  Would a visitor visa be the most appropriate? I would be self-sustained, and not taking a job an EU citizen would need, but don't seem to fit exactly in any visa category.

Would this allow me to rent the cottage and continue to work my telecommuting jobs? Must I apply for residency immediately, in order to rent the cottage?

Thanks very much!

Hi Treehugger, Unfortunately the reason you haven't been able to find a visa which suits your circumstances is that there is not one for what you would like to do.

You can neither live (as opposed to visiting) nor work (including remote work) in the UK on a visitors visa.

You can't rent either unless you already have a visa which permits you to live in the UK.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:41:08 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »
You didn't happen to meet a special someone when you were there did you?
Most of our members are here on partner visas.  :)

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:50:09 PM »
I truly wish I had, but I did meet a lovely family who would love to hire me as a multilingual ecotour guide, and to rent me their cottage.  I had hoped to be able to take advantage of this opportunity, but so far, the replies are discouraging. 

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 06:54:35 PM »
I truly wish I had, but I did meet a lovely family who would love to hire me as a multilingual ecotour guide, and to rent me their cottage.  I had hoped to be able to take advantage of this opportunity, but so far, the replies are discouraging.

I'm sorry.
Long shot but do you happen to have any Irish grandparents?

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 07:18:22 PM »
Ancestors came to New England from England in early 17th century.

• It's an adventure now.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
You'd need an Irish grandparent, or British parent, and ancestry doesn't count for much I'm afraid.

Also I'm not familiar with the current rules on the penalties for renting to someone who isn't on the appropriate visa, but I do know that landlords are required to check visa status and the penalties are pretty stiff for renting to someone not qualified to live in the UK.

The family hiring you would have to be able to sponsor a work visa in order to hire you legally, which costs many thousands of pounds and would be subject to the resident labour market test - an ecotour guide isn't going to be an occupation that can't be filled by a qualified UK or EU applicant, so they wouldn't be able to hire you anyway.

Not legally.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 07:21:24 PM »
Unfortunately it's "one of those things".  While borders are being broken down with technology, governments have really strong controls and the UK is particularly anti-immigration at the moment.   :-\\\\

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »
I had hoped that speaking four languages made me just a bit more qualified than the average tour guide, but I guess not! Oh, well...

• It's an adventure now.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
Not when the labour market test has to include all of the UK and all of the EU, I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab