Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Settlement/spouse application process advice  (Read 588 times)

• Liked: 3
Settlement/spouse application process advice
« on: May 22, 2017, 03:54:22 AM »
Hi,

I am a UK Citizen and would like to bring my US Citizen wife to the UK to live, we had previously planned on me moving there, but have now decided to live here instead, my question/s are as follows:

If I fill the application in online on her behalf, I can pay for it at the same time?

Is there a set amount of time that we would have been married before can apply?

What sort of documentation/proof is required?

We are planning to do this along with moving pets here too, is there a basic amount of time a rabbit would have to remain in quarantine and what sort of cost?, I understand this isn't an everyday question but someone might know.

Any help would be great.

Regards,

Gary
Met Wife online - December 2015
Met my wife in December 2016
Married in January 2017
Application Started 17/12/2017
IHS & Visa paid 21/12/2017
Biometrics Appointment 29/12/2017
All documents received and entry permit issued 22/03/2018
Flight Booked 27/03/2018
Wife Arrived in UK 16/04/2018
Collected BRP 20/04/2018

• Liked: 6110
Re: Settlement/spouse application process advice
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:19:37 AM »
Hi,

I am a UK Citizen and would like to bring my US Citizen wife to the UK to live, we had previously planned on me moving there, but have now decided to live here instead, my question/s are as follows:

If I fill the application in online on her behalf, I can pay for it at the same time?

Is there a set amount of time that we would have been married before can apply?

What sort of documentation/proof is required?

We are planning to do this along with moving pets here too, is there a basic amount of time a rabbit would have to remain in quarantine and what sort of cost?, I understand this isn't an everyday question but someone might know.

Any help would be great.

Regards,

Gary

Hi Gary! Welcome to the forum.  :)

Where are each of you now? Your wife can use your card details to pay for the application but she needs to be the one to complete the application and pay for it as that needs to be done outside the UK.
That should be the very last thing you do though after completing all of your research and gathering your evidence.

Assuming you meet the other requirements (relationship, accommodation and financial) you can apply as soon as you have your marriage certificate, so basically, right away.

There is quite a lot of evidence that you'll need to provide. Start here with your research https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

You might also like to spend some time reading the forum so that you get more of a feel for the process.  :)

Probably best to post your pet question here.  http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=60.0
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:49:51 AM by larrabee »

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:00:07 PM »
Where are each of you now? Your wife can use your card details to pay for the application but she needs to be the one to complete the application and pay for it as that needs to be done outside the UK.

Thanks for the reply, I seen those requirements, but it seems rather simplified compared to what it used to be, so wanted to confirm if was correct, but I had understood it as I could do the form online as "filling for somebody else" or however it's labeled, which I thought I could do from the UK, I am in the UK and wife is still in the US.

If doing online and can do on behalf of someone, how come it's required that it's done from outside the UK, I understand they'd still need to send/print things, if that's the reason you had said to be completed outside the UK to make that part easier, don't they allow you to save the completed form to your PC?.

The finanical side I easily make over that, somewhere where I seen the top end of the requirement they had thought about, I make over that, so that is of no worry to myself, I have time to learn and understand the process as I just need to save the money to be able to pay for the visa itself then all the other bits required.
Married in January 2017
Flight Booked 27/03/2018
Collected BRP 20/04/2018

• Liked: 210
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I seen those requirements, but it seems rather simplified compared to what it used to be, so wanted to confirm if was correct, but I had understood it as I could do the form online as "filling for somebody else" or however it's labeled, which I thought I could do from the UK, I am in the UK and wife is still in the US.

If doing online and can do on behalf of someone, how come it's required that it's done from outside the UK, I understand they'd still need to send/print things, if that's the reason you had said to be completed outside the UK to make that part easier, don't they allow you to save the completed form to your PC?.

The finanical side I easily make over that, somewhere where I seen the top end of the requirement they had thought about, I make over that, so that is of no worry to myself, I have time to learn and understand the process as I just need to save the money to be able to pay for the visa itself then all the other bits required.

As for doing the form online in the UK, yes you technically could start the form online for her and then save it for your wife to finish. You don't save the form to your computer but to your account. So then the email address and password would have to be shared with your wife.

And, your wife would have to print out and sign/date the application as well as the receipts for NHS, biometrics, etc.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
Ok, thanks for that, so mainly the other things to sort and arrange then and money to pay for it all.

Process seems fairly straight forward, just need to figure out everything for the animals now, I posted on the Pet area for this now.

so is there no requirement on how long you've been together/married anymore then?.
Married in January 2017
Flight Booked 27/03/2018
Collected BRP 20/04/2018

• Liked: 210
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »
Ok, thanks for that, so mainly the other things to sort and arrange then and money to pay for it all.

Process seems fairly straight forward, just need to figure out everything for the animals now, I posted on the Pet area for this now.

so is there no requirement on how long you've been together/married anymore then?.

Yes, but PLEASE don't complete the online application until you have every single document in hand. You only have 5 days from completing biometrics until you have to send documents to Sheffield. So, finishing the online application should be the very last step.

Due to some idiocy (long story), I ended up using my wife's (UKC) card to pay for one of the steps in the online process. We were on the phone, and she read her information to me to enter (I was in the US). It will make you go through a global verification thing (for any card), but it worked in the end.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 03:01:31 PM »

The spouse visa is an out of country application. Your wife is the applicant. She is actually supposed to do it herself, from the US. You won't be applying for her although of course a lot of the information will be yours as her sponsor and of course you can help her with it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "but it seems rather simplified compared to what it used to be" What are you comparing it to? The rules have become harder since 2012.

And just to check, you have been making over 18,600 gbp for at least the last 6 months as an employee?

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »
And just to check, you have been making over 18,600 gbp for at least the last 6 months as an employee?
as for length of time, i think it would work out to about that, even with the holiday over xmas/new year but even still by the time we have everything in order and proceed it would most definiately be over 6 months as i've been doing the same hours every week(apart from one week) since i got back to the UK in January which the income comes over the required amount and starting this week will be slightly higher again.

As for simplied i'm sure it used to be that you had to prove you had been living together for X amount of years several years ago now, unless i'm mistaken, but not important as doesn't affect now.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:23:55 PM by Gary-s »
Married in January 2017
Flight Booked 27/03/2018
Collected BRP 20/04/2018

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »
Yes, but PLEASE don't complete the online application until you have every single document in hand. You only have 5 days from completing biometrics until you have to send documents to Sheffield. So, finishing the online application should be the very last step.

Due to some idiocy (long story), I ended up using my wife's (UKC) card to pay for one of the steps in the online process. We were on the phone, and she read her information to me to enter (I was in the US). It will make you go through a global verification thing (for any card), but it worked in the end.

So are you saying it should be done using her card?
Married in January 2017
Flight Booked 27/03/2018
Collected BRP 20/04/2018

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
as for length of time, i think it would work out to about that, even with the holiday over xmas/new year but even still by the time we have everything in order and proceed it would most definiately be over 6 months as i've been doing the same hours every week(apart from one week) since i got back to the UK in January which the income comes over the required amount and starting this week will be slightly higher again.

As for simplied i'm sure it used to be that you had to prove you had been living together for X amount of years several years ago now, unless i'm mistaken, but not important as doesn't affect now.

Before you apply you will need to sit down and work out exactly what you have made. There is no allowance given for even being a penny under. I'm not the best at working out employment income (we used savings) but the others will help you with that if you need it.

You do have to prove that your relationship is genuine. We had a couple married 20 years or thereabouts refused because they didn't provide enough good relationship evidence. Don't underestimate how important each element of the application is.

Have you recently returned to the UK from the US yourself? Do you have accommodation sorted out for the application?

• Liked: 107
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
If you are non-salaried (ie. paid by the hour) you have to meet financial requirement by averaging your monthly pay from the 6 months prior to your application multiplied by 12 to get a yearly average.

(Total gross income from employment held throughout the 6 month period, divided by 6) multiplied by 12 = Income from non-salaried employment that can be counted towards the financial requirement.

Regarding your question with your length of marriage, it does not matter. If you're married, you're married. My wife and I got married and we applied for her visa less than four weeks after.

Are you sure you are talking about the spouse visa and not an unmarried partner visa?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:59:19 PM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 04:02:22 PM »
Before you apply you will need to sit down and work out exactly what you have made. There is no allowance given for even being a penny under. I'm not the best at working out employment income (we used savings) but the others will help you with that if you need it.

You do have to prove that your relationship is genuine. We had a couple married 20 years or thereabouts refused because they didn't provide enough good relationship evidence. Don't underestimate how important each element of the application is.

Have you recently returned to the UK from the US yourself? Do you have accommodation sorted out for the application?

I visited the US for around 5 weeks for xmas and new year, my income before my visit was over the required amount you'd have to earn each week, not sure how long before i had enough, but i've been doing the same hours since i returned home in January, only worked one 1 day last week, but the income every week starting this week, would cover more than the loss for last week and still remain over the 18,600 and even if i only started counting the 6 months since back in the UK in January, I will easily be over the 18,600 with weekly earnings, not to mention it will be a few months or so before i'd have saved the funds to pay for it all, so I have no worries on the financial side of things.

As for accomodation, I've had my place since January 2008, so no worries on there either, I rent but that's unimportant as it's a stable home.

During my time of saving, we'll be using this time to gather all information/documentation required and getting an understanding of the process to ensure we go through the process best as possible, she also needs to go through process of changing her name and getting a passport, so the more we understand beforehand the better as we can properly plan it all ready and have everything lined up ready to apply.

If you are non-salaried (ie. paid by the hour) you have to meet financial requirement by averaging your monthly pay from the 6 months prior to your application multiplied by 12 to get a yearly average.

(Total gross income from employment held throughout the 6 month period, divided by 6) multiplied by 12 = Income from non-salaried employment that can be counted towards the financial requirement.

Regarding your question with your length of marriage, it does not matter. If you're married, you're married. My wife and I got married and we applied for her visa less than four weeks after.

Are you sure you are talking about the spouse visa and not an unmarried partner visa?

Yes, I understand that, my income on a weekly basis will amount to easily over the income required, I have already worked out what I was earning before the recent change in hours, I will now be earning more again, so I will not need to worry about the income.

and yes I am talking about the spouse visa, we got married back in Janury while I was there.
Married in January 2017
Flight Booked 27/03/2018
Collected BRP 20/04/2018

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 04:06:18 PM »
I visited the US for around 5 weeks for xmas and new year, my income before my visit was over the required amount you'd have to earn each week, not sure how long before i had enough, but i've been doing the same hours since i returned home in January, only worked one 1 day last week, but the income every week starting this week, would cover more than the loss for last week and still remain over the 18,600 and even if i only started counting the 6 months since back in the UK in January, I will easily be over the 18,600 with weekly earnings, not to mention it will be a few months or so before i'd have saved the funds to pay for it all, so I have no worries on the financial side of things.

As for accomodation, I've had my place since January 2008, so no worries on there either, I rent but that's unimportant as it's a stable home.

During my time of saving, we'll be using this time to gather all information/documentation required and getting an understanding of the process to ensure we go through the process best as possible, she also needs to go through process of changing her name and getting a passport, so the more we understand beforehand the better as we can properly plan it all ready and have everything lined up ready to apply.

Yes, I understand that, my income on a weekly basis will amount to easily over the income required, I have already worked out what I was earning before the recent change in hours, I will now be earning more again, so I will not need to worry about the income.

and yes I am talking about the spouse visa, we got married back in Janury while I was there.

Good, so you'll have plenty of time to get all your ducks in a row!  :)

If you are renting, you must provide as evidence a copy of the lease and a letter from the landlord granting your wife permission to live there once her visa is granted.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 04:08:38 PM »
So are you saying it should be done using her card?

It's fine to use your card when the time comes. Just give your bank a call first to warn them that there will be an unusual charge.  Equally, you can use hers, it doesn't matter.

• Liked: 107
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
Just FYI, this forum is a fountain of accurate knowledge and has helped and seen hundreds of successful spouse visas being granted (including our own). I recommend using it to see your wife's visa over the line  :)
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab