Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: EEA dependent CSI requirement - need a reality check  (Read 219 times)

• Liked: 676
EEA dependent CSI requirement - need a reality check
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:06:13 AM »
I've posted this in the healthcare section but it's probably more of a EEA family permit policy question.  I've been offered a telecommuting job with my old USA company. It would be variable appointment, up to half-time for a year, and possibly renewed as need arises after that point. I am trying to sort out how much I'd have to earn to have my adult daughter - she's here an an EEA dependent family permit  - not be required to have CSI. (We'll get a policy this week as a safety net, but I'm trying to cover the bases here.)

I found this on the UK govmt. web page:

"To show they are undertaking genuine and effective work in the UK an EEA migrant will have to show that for the last 3 months they have been earning at the level at which employees start paying National Insurance. This is £150 a week – equivalent to working 24 hours a week at National Minimum Wage. An EEA migrant who has some earnings but doesn’t satisfy the minimum earnings threshold, will be assessed against a broader range of criteria to decide whether they should still be considered as a worker, or self-employed."

This was in a section dealing with claiming benefits (we have no intention of claiming any benefits). It would seem to indicate that as long as I was earning about $115 a week I would be considered as a worker. Given the terms of the proposed contract, that's not an issue at all then.... ?  I should be pulling in well above that.

Since it appears that I can't actually just work for the company as a "regular" employer, I am investigating the self-employment route, which seems to be a bit more flexible.

We want to apply for our residence cards ASAP (hence going ahead with the private CSI now). But am I correct in understanding that we actually have 3 months from the date we arrived in country before she has to have CSI? Have I got the benchmark minimum income above which CSI is not required for her correct?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:54:05 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 342
Re: EEA dependent CSI requirement - need a reality check
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »

We want to apply for our residence cards ASAP (hence going ahead with the private CSI now). But am I correct in understanding that we actually have 3 months from the date we arrived in country before she has to have CSI? Have I got the benchmark minimum income above which CSI is not required for her correct?  Thanks.

Hi Nan

This is my understanding.

CSI not required during that 3 months (unless you become a self sufficient qualified person during that time) but you both pay for any NHS treatment as you are both visiting the UK; you haven't become a qualified person yet.

If you had both lived in another EEA country and then moved to the UK, you would have had EHICs from that country to use during this 3 months allowed and they would have paid for any NHS usage, subject to the restrictions on that EHIC from that country. An EHIC from another EEA country, gives limited health cover in another member state (EEA country) for that holder, if they are in another member state temporarily, which they are if they haven't become a qualified person during that 3 months they are allowed in another member state.

You can be a qualified person at any time during those three months and must be one by 3 months to legally reside in the UK. If you wanted to apply for your RCs now, you could apply for your RCs as a self sufficient QP. The RCs seem to be taking about 6 months to issue due to the massive rush since the UK's leave vote, and I think that if your circumstances change during that time you are waiting for an RC, then you will need to inform UKVI. I know that those who have changed jobs and not informed UKVI, have said they had their RC/s refused as UKVI checked to see if they were working where they said they were.

Plus from 2013, the UK now has the Real Time system for HMRC and UKVI has access to other departments records, including HMRC. Real Time has caught out a lot of abuse, i.e. welfare,  those on visas or EEA routes, illegal working, tax evaders etc

The RC will be issued for 5 years, even though there won't be 5 years before Brexit, as that is what the EU requires and until Brexit, the UK follows EU laws. But remember , an RC is not like a UK visa as the end date means nothing: if you (the EEA citizen) stop being a qualified person at any time, then your RC  and that of your family members, become invalid and you both then have no right to reside in the UK.

Just be careful if you aren't working fulltime, that you keep the MET (minimum earnings threshold) that the UK use to see if your work is "genuine and effective" to be a “worker qualified person” at all times. And keep a check to see that MET amount isn't  changed by the UK at any time.

You can switch between being a worker and self sufficient with CSIs for you both, just don’t have a gap as the EU Directive does not allow gaps, although sometime the UK will ignore a short gap, but they don’t have to. Someone reporting on an EEA forum that based on the present refusal figures for PR, over 100,000 will be refused PR in the UK June 2016/17 period, due to their gaps of being legal in the UK, meaning no chance of citizenship before Brexit.  Others who know they have not been in the UK legally, not bothering to apply for PR as they know they will be refused.

With Brexit looming and the UK making illegal working a criminal offence from last July (?), some of those on EU routes are saying they are just buying CSIs for everyone now if they think there is a chance their EEA citizen sponsor might lose their worker qualified person status at any time as belt and braces. Before last June when the UK voted to leave the EU, some didn't bother as the NHS is easy to abuse and if they were  caught for not being legally in the UK, they just started to be legal (be a qualified person EEA citizen in the UK). Make sure you follow the 2004 Directive on free movement.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:42:07 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 676
Re: EEA dependent CSI requirement - need a reality check
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »
Ok, I've got what I assume is CSI - it covers everything, with no pre-existing clauses and no limit on coverage (other than I pay a co-pay  until a certain amount of expense has been reached) from my prior employer, and it continues indefinitely as part of my pension scheme. I am getting an in-country CSI for the Daughter this week anyway, as insurance (in the other sense).

Ok, so your post has be a little confused. My daughter is in-country based on me being a qualified self-sufficient person, which is how we got the EEA family permit for her. Why would I now not be a qualified self-sufficient person? We are not visiting, we live here.

Sponsored Links