Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My first driving lesson  (Read 1417 times)

• Liked: 768
My first driving lesson
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:44:16 AM »
I learned that I've been driving a manual transmission wrong for 28 years and I have no idea what I am doing. I've got years of bad US driving habits to break.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 163
Re: My first driving lesson
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
You're not learning to drive, you're learning how to drive like they want you to for the 20 or so minutes you're being tested. If you can find an instructor that understands that, it might help.

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:52:58 AM »
That sounds very familiar.  I had been driving for more than 20 years and the instructor was screaming "slow down!" And grabbing the wheel!   I think he was just being a bit over dramatic as I went on to pass the test first time after Two lessons.

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
I learned to drive a stick over here as I only drive automatics in the US. Hated the lessons but worth it in the end. Good luck
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:52:27 PM »
My instructor is actually really great and is teaching me to pass the test.

But the excessive use of the emergency brake cracks me up. But I will use it as required to pass the test.

I use the hourly hire care service in my town to get some extra practice in. My husband and I rented it today to drive out to Loch Lomond. I drove 100 miles round trip and I didn't kill anyone so that gives me a wee bit more confidence. Lol

• Liked: 210
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 05:57:24 AM »
My instructor is actually really great and is teaching me to pass the test.

But the excessive use of the emergency brake cracks me up. But I will use it as required to pass the test.

I use the hourly hire care service in my town to get some extra practice in. My husband and I rented it today to drive out to Loch Lomond. I drove 100 miles round trip and I didn't kill anyone so that gives me a wee bit more confidence. Lol

LOL the emergency brake. We have conversations about that a lot!
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 06:17:08 AM »

LOL the emergency brake. We have conversations about that a lot!
Look, I've been driving a manual car for 28 years. I couldn't get it through my head the procedure for even getting on the road.

I told my instructor that Americans use that brake for 1 thing. Parking. (And in an automatic, I rarely even used it. I can't get my automatic hire car to even start here unless that damn brake is engaged.) And as soon as I am in the car, my foot goes on the peddle brake and the emergency brake is disengaged,  not to be used again until I am done driving.

I remember the look on his face when I instinctively disengaged it after I put my foot on the peddle brake...

Him: "Why did you do that?"
Me thinking to myself: "Is this a trick question?"

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »
I can't get my head around the way they treat emergency services with sirens- more or less ignore them!   During my lessons, I was going to turn onto another road until I saw an Ambulance coming with lights and siren.  Of course, I held back even though a traffic light was green.  My instructor made me turn on to the road, right in front of the ambulance weaving through traffic.  His explanation was "He's a professional driver, he'll drive around you."

I frequently see people happily driving along next to an ambulance with the siren going. 

• Liked: 537
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 12:06:51 PM »
Everywhere I go here in the Midlands people pull over as soon as they can see where the ambulance is.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »
Everywhere I go here in the Midlands people pull over as soon as they can see where the ambulance is.
That's my experience in Birmingham. You get the odd idiot who isn't paying attention but the majority do

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 01:08:45 PM »
I guess in London we are all more important.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
I guess in London we are all more important.
My business partner drives a lot in London and he hates it. Much worse drivers than Birmingham he says.
I've got a friend who's a teacher in London and rides his bike to work. He regularly has narrow escapes and gets knocked off a couple of times a year

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »
I'm surprised by how dangerous it is to bike in London, and how the steady stream of deaths is simply accepted.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 10:53:08 AM »

Same here in London and in all the places I have lived in England, just the odd idiot who doesn't. It always amazes me how lines of packed traffic, suddenly split to make space for the emergency services.

• Liked: 60
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »
Same here in London and in all the places I have lived in England, just the odd idiot who doesn't. It always amazes me how lines of packed traffic, suddenly split to make space for the emergency services.

See, up here near Glasgow I have yet to see anyone pull over for any emergency service vehicles. I actually asked my husband if it wasn't required, and he said nah, they'll find a way through. Mind-boggling.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab