Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Re-Upping Spouse visa  (Read 1362 times)

• Liked: 1
Re-Upping Spouse visa
« on: May 22, 2017, 02:33:13 PM »
Hello all

My wife came to the country four and a half years ago on a two year Tier 5 visa (the youth mobility one). During those first two years we got married and applied for (and secured) a spousal visa for 2.5 years.

That time is nearly up, so we're looking at re-upping the spouse visa for another 2.5 years (after which we will be able to apply for permanent leave to remain, correct?)

I'm feeling a bit lost - do we just apply for the same spousal visa again? Or is there a separate 'continuation option' for people who already have one? Feels a bit ridiculous that we'd have to re-prove our relationship a second time. Last time we did the in-person visit. This time we will do the postal one, which is cheaper, but feels like there's less space to explain what's going on.

Also there's a load of stuff about 10 year vs 5 year routes which I can't make head or tail of!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated :)

Thom

• Liked: 6110
Re: Re-Upping Spouse visa
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 02:47:01 PM »
Hi Thom,  :)

Did she apply in country for FLR(M) the last time? (Spouse visa is an out of country application)
If so, then it's the very same thing this time around.

And yes, after 5 years she can apply for ILR, and will have to prove it all again. Ignore the stuff you see about the 10 year route, that won't apply to you.

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-extend-stay-in-the-uk-as-a-partner-form-flrm

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:54:32 PM »
Hello! Thanks for the response.

Yes, we applied in the UK and she got a Biometric card.

So it's the same FLR(M) form as before - that makes sense.

Can we pick that up from a post office or do I have to get it printed out somewhere?

Another question - since we last applied my wife got a job which earns way more than the minimum earning threshold in and of itself. I'm self-employed so my wages go up and down.

Last time we applied I had to hire an accountant to ratify my tax return, which cost like £400. Seeing as my wife earns over the threshold by herself, could we skip that this time and put me down as unemployed?

Thom

• Liked: 210
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »

Can we pick that up from a post office or do I have to get it printed out somewhere?

Another question - since we last applied my wife got a job which earns way more than the minimum earning threshold in and of itself. I'm self-employed so my wages go up and down.

Last time we applied I had to hire an accountant to ratify my tax return, which cost like £400. Seeing as my wife earns over the threshold by herself, could we skip that this time and put me down as unemployed?

Thom

Don't rely on just my word--check it with others.

But yes, I think you can use your wife's income by itself. But I don't think you have to call yourself unemployed. I think you just don't mention your income at all.

That said, I know of an accountant who will certify accounts done for £50, just in case you need that. (She does accounts part time for fun, so that's why it's so cheap.)

I don't have the link for you, but the form is online. It does need to be filled out online and printed (and signed). I've never heard of being able to pick it up at the post office, but someone else might know.

I do know that you have to wait until 28 days before your current visa expires to apply. If time is an issue, you can pay for a same-day appointment and decision.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:06:38 PM »

Thom

I linked to the paper form in my post above. Just print that off.  :)

Don't say you're unemployed if that is not true but absolutely you can go with your wife's earnings and leave yours out of it. You've already found out what a pain self employment is to prove!  :)

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 03:08:10 PM »
You've already found out what a pain self employment is to prove!  :)

This times 100!!

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »
Seems like there's an 'online' option here: https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/next [nofollow]

But I suspect that's just 'fill it in online then print it out'.

Thanks for everybody's answers so far!

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »
Seems like there's an 'online' option here: https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/next

Yes, that's what we are saying. You must fill it out online and then print it out. And sign and date it. I.e., your WIFE must print/sign/date

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »
Seems like there's an 'online' option here: https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/next

Yes there is. We don't recommend it though as it's a little glitchy we've heard. And you do still have to print it before you send it.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:15:39 PM »
Gotcha.  :)

We still have a month and a half to get everything together - just thought I'd get a bit of a jump on it as last time was a total nightmare (I'm talking three separate 6am drives from London to Birmingham around Christmas).  :-[ :-[ :-[

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
Just to clarify.  :)

FLR  options.       
                                1- Paper form. Print then fill in then send.
                                2- online form. Fill in online then print and send.

3-In Person, You will need a form. People take the paper form I believe.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:20:08 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 05:24:22 PM »
Yes if you apply in person you take the paper form (completed).

For the financial requirements, use your wife's.  Fill in your details as far as name of company, etc.  When it gets to the section asking for your earnings, write in "using applicants income
to meet financial requirements".   :)  Basically keep the info on your employment minimal so the case worker doesn't get confused.   :P

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
Thanks everybody! This has put my mind at rest a lot  ;D ;D

• Liked: 134
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 11:06:16 PM »
For what it's worth, both my husband and I work but we relied on my husband's income only for my FLR(M) application.  I listed all of my husband's details in the relevant section.  In the column for my details, where it asked if I worked I wrote "yes; income not being used to fulfill requirement."  I also filled in the name and address of my employer (simply because I said that I worked) but left everything else for myself blank.  Visa was approved with no issues.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 03:39:43 PM »
Righto, putting all this together now.

Question about the bank statements - we no longer receive paper statements and haven't for some years. Will print-outs of the online statements be acceptable?

Sponsored Links