Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Manchester explosion  (Read 1431 times)

• Liked: 92
Manchester explosion
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:40:12 AM »
I just wanted to wish everyone here well-- hoping all of our U.K. Yankees, their family & friends are ok in the terrible tragedy unfolding in Manchester. I'm very worried hearing the initial reports. It sounds horrific,
I can only imagine how many children were there.  :\\\'(

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/22/529588482/british-police-confirm-deaths-after-explosion-at-manchester-arena-concert?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170522
Application: April 5 2017
Biometrics: April 13 2017
Received: April 19 2017
Decision email: June 6 2017
Decision: June 8 2017 -- APPROVED! 😊
Arrived in UK: June 24, 2017

FLR(m): Applied standard - 20 Dec 2019
Biometrics done - 13 January 2020
Approved for FLR(m)!  Feb 2020

ILR Applied Super Priority - 12 July 2022
Biometrics (got a cancellation!) -13 July 2022
APPROVED! - 13 July 2022

Next up - Naturalisation application!

• Liked: 533
Re: Manchester explosion
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 06:38:34 AM »
It's just awful. A lot of young people there.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »
(nods) hope everybody is okay and accounted for. Heartened to hear about the cabbies, hotels, and other people the news is reporting have stepped up to help people who were stranded, especially kids who were waiting for parents to pick them up.

(throws good luck at everybody)
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:10:23 AM »
Also wanted to just send positive thoughts to anybody here that lives in Manchester and/or knows anybody living there - whether they've been affected first hand or not. My heart is heavy for you all. All those children/young people, it's absolutely heart-breaking....
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 01:42:08 PM »
So horrific
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
Also wanted to just send positive thoughts to anybody here that lives in Manchester and/or knows anybody living there - whether they've been affected first hand or not. My heart is heavy for you all. All those children/young people, it's absolutely heart-breaking....

That's very nice of you.

My husband is from Greater Manchester so his entire family is there. We lived there together for five years and our youngest was born there. We have been to the MEN for various concerts and events over the years, the last being in 2013, when I surprised my 12-year-old with One Direction tickets. That's probably why my heart feels so heavy. I know this place well. I've been inside watching my favorite artists or witnessing over 20K kids having an excellent time singing and dancing to theirs. I've also been in that foyer waiting for my husband and boys for other events.

My friend is a steward at the MEN and was at that concert on Monday. He was responsible for leading many to safety but he's very shaken. My former next-door-neighbor took her granddaughters to that gig and thankfully are unhurt.

But, I am heartbroken. I have always loved that city and for another terrorist attack (I was there for that Saturday in June 1996) to happen in a place I have called "home", it's hard to bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:25:20 PM »
That's very nice of you.

My husband is from Greater Manchester so his entire family is there. We lived there together for five years and our youngest was born there. We have been to the MEN for various concerts and events over the years, the last being in 2013, when I surprised my 12-year-old with One Direction tickets. That's probably why my heart feels so heavy. I know this place well. I've been inside watching my favorite artists or witnessing over 20K kids having an excellent time singing and dancing to theirs. I've also been in that foyer waiting for my husband and boys for other events.

My friend is a steward at the MEN and was at that concert on Monday. He was responsible for leading many to safety but he's very shaken. My former next-door-neighbor took her granddaughters to that gig and thankfully are unhurt.

But, I am heartbroken. I have always loved that city and for another terrorist attack (I was there for that Saturday in June 1996) to happen in a place I have called "home", it's hard to bear.

I am so incredibly sorry :( That is tough...Hope they are all okay beyond just the obvious mentally-shaken state I imagine they are feeling as this is on their home turf. There honestly aren't enough words to express how I feel so I can only really say sorry...

What I DO love seeing is that the nation, as a whole, aren't condemning all Muslims. Obviously there are some ultra-conservative people that I see making comments, but those are being out-shined completely by outpouring of gratitude for just good people in general. EVERYBODY seemed to be playing some type of role, whether it was staying with minors while they were reunited with their families safely or giving free ride/food/tea/accommodations, or the vendors giving their clothes to stop bleeding. The homeless guys who probably have the majority of people not give them a second glance jumping to help pull nails out of those kids and hold limbs up to stop bleeding. It's incredibly touching and emotional to think about and I am SO happy to see this time around all the love honestly outweighing the hate.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
That's very nice of you.

Wow, it's no surprise that you've been affected if your kids went to a similar show at a similar age. 

You should be proud of the reaction, I think the stories of people helping one another are the most important part of this.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
Oh wow, your poor friend.  It's no wonder you have a heavy heart Lorena
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »

Glad for that, at least. May your steward friend's help to others come back to reward him when he needs it most (wish goes out)
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
What I DO love seeing is that the nation, as a whole, aren't condemning all Muslims. Obviously there are some ultra-conservative people that I see making comments, but those are being out-shined completely by outpouring of gratitude for just good people in general. EVERYBODY seemed to be playing some type of role, whether it was staying with minors while they were reunited with their families safely or giving free ride/food/tea/accommodations, or the vendors giving their clothes to stop bleeding. The homeless guys who probably have the majority of people not give them a second glance jumping to help pull nails out of those kids and hold limbs up to stop bleeding. It's incredibly touching and emotional to think about and I am SO happy to see this time around all the love honestly outweighing the hate.

THIS. Manchester stepping up like bosses when it really matters. Anybody from there should be proud.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/manchester-attack-how-you-can-help/.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 06:10:44 PM »
Two girls from the islands were there.  One was killed, the other is in serious condition.
I didn't know them, but I do know extended family members of the girl in hospital.

To make matters worse, for the past few days, as people have been desperately needing to get back and forth from the mainland, the ferries & flights have been full up with flippin' journalists, desperate to badger the family & friends (read: everyone in Barra) for their maudlin tabloid stories. 

Apparently, there are a lot of police cordons set up round people's houses, to try to give them some peace.  But it's such a small place, there's no way for it not to be intrusive.

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »
To make matters worse, for the past few days, as people have been desperately needing to get back and forth from the mainland, the ferries & flights have been full up with flippin' journalists, desperate to badger the family & friends (read: everyone in Barra) for their maudlin tabloid stories. 

Apparently, there are a lot of police cordons set up round people's houses, to try to give them some peace.  But it's such a small place, there's no way for it not to be intrusive.

I get that some people might find it cathartic to talk about it and honor the deceased, but the media needs to have some thoughtfulness about it. (sends the flying monkeys with appropriately gauged catapults and a hefty supply of particularly messy banana cream pies)

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
I get that some people might find it cathartic to talk about it and honor the deceased, but the media needs to have some thoughtfulness about it. (sends the flying monkeys with appropriately gauged catapults and a hefty supply of particularly messy banana cream pies)

I agree! If they want to talk, they'll reach out. You don't need to swarm on them.
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links