Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Proof of relationship?  (Read 700 times)

• Liked: 1
Proof of relationship?
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »
Hi everyone

We're currently waiting for a decision on our settlement visa, however I'm a bit worried that we haven't submitted enough proof of our relationship - all we've sent to Sheffield is wedding photos, holiday photos and our marriage certificate. Do those in the know think this is sufficient? I've read on this forum that many people have also sent whatapps / skype logs etc which we haven't done..

Thanks

• Liked: 6110
Re: Proof of relationship?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »
Hi everyone

We're currently waiting for a decision on our settlement visa, however I'm a bit worried that we haven't submitted enough proof of our relationship - all we've sent to Sheffield is wedding photos, holiday photos and our marriage certificate. Do those in the know think this is sufficient? I've read on this forum that many people have also sent whatapps / skype logs etc which we haven't done..

Thanks

or1x, welcome to the forum.  :)

If a couple has lived together, they are expected to send proof of a joint life so, joint bank accounts, tax returns, insurance policies, that sort of thing.
If they are long distance, they would have to show how they have kept in touch, trips to visit each other etc.

From what you say, unfortunately, you have not sent enough to evidence a genuine relationship from UKVI's perspective.
Sometimes, if the rest of your application looks good to them, they will contact you to provide additional information but there is no way of telling if they will do that or not.

Meantime, you should gather together what you can, so of they do get in touch, you can provide the information without further delay.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »
Thanks for the info larrabee, to be honest we just assumed that getting married in London (ie, marriage under British law) would be proof enough for a genuine marriage/relationship - looks like thats not the case which i think is pretty mad :/ anyway, i just hope they ask for more info rather than outright reject it...

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:59:55 PM »
Thanks for the info larrabee, to be honest we just assumed that getting married in London (ie, marriage under British law) would be proof enough for a genuine marriage/relationship - looks like thats not the case which i think is pretty mad :/ anyway, i just hope they ask for more info rather than outright reject it...

Fingers crossed for you that they do request more information.  :)

Feel free to join in one of our timeline threads  so you have company while you're waiting.  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:02:48 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:02:29 PM »
Fingers crossed for you that they do.  :)

Feel free to join in one of our timeline threads  so you have company while you're waiting.  :)

Yep, I'm watching the April timeline thread like a hawk ;)

• Liked: 210
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »

Not much to see, sadly.

Waiting and more waiting.

Good luck to you!
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 45
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »

Very much agreed on the front of wishing they would asking for more information, it's really frustrating that it seems more economical for them to toss the application and have people start again, given how crucially important the decision is to so many people.

My now wife and I lived together for just under three months in my flat in Scotland between February and April, before flying to NY and getting married. As she was on a tourist visa, we were unable to get her name on any official documents (utility bills, council tax etc.) and instead provided statements that we split up all utility bills and food bills in cash equally - to this end we supplied them her bank statements to show her balance was steadily depleting along with mine, as well as to verify she was not working while she was here.

Other than this we also gave full chat logs from when we were long distance, as well as logs of her talking to her friends about me and Scotland while we lived together (we didn't use messenger while we were in the same property, funnily enough), photos of us together on our visits to NY, as well as a holiday to Inverness, various photos of us in my flat together, wedding photos, a copy of the wedding certificate, copies of boarding passes and flight itineraries for reference to our personal statements, and receipts of orders she made online in the UK, addressed to her name and the address of the flat we shared for that duration.

But like yourself, I'm not sure if they really insist on seeing names on bills etc. I'm a bit concerned too.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:26:21 PM by Vik »

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »
Very much agreed on the front of wishing they would asking for more information, it's really frustrating that it seems more economical for them to toss the application and have people start again, given how crucially important the decision is to so many people.

My now wife and I lived together for just under three months in my flat in Scotland between February and April, before flying to NY and getting married. As she was on a tourist visa, we were unable to get her name on any official documents (utility bills, council tax etc.) and instead provided statements that we split up all utility bills and food bills in cash equally - to this end we supplied them her bank statements to show her balance was steadily depleting along with mine, as well as to verify she was not working while she was here.

Other than this we also gave full chat logs from when we were long distance, as well as logs of her talking to her friends about me and Scotland while we lived together (we didn't use messenger while we were in the same property, funnily enough), photos of us together on our visits to NY, as well as a holiday to Inverness, various photos of us in my flat together, wedding photos, a copy of the wedding certificate, copies of boarding passes and flight itineraries for reference to our personal statements, and receipts of orders she made online in the UK, addressed to her name and the address of the flat we shared for that duration.

But like yourself, I'm not sure if they really insist on seeing names on bills etc. I'm a bit concerned too.

She wasn't living with you, she was visiting. You wouldn't be expected to have her name on the lease or on any of the bills at that point although you should have provided a letter from the landlord granting her permission to live with you there when the visa is granted as part of your accommodation evidence.

It's really important not to rush into the visa application but to take your time and fully research the requirements because there is no obligation on the part of UKVI to request additional information. (It's just that they sometimes do.) The onus is on you to prove that you meet the requirements. That's just the way it is unfortunately.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »
She wasn't living with you, she was visiting. You wouldn't be expected to have her name on the lease or on any of the bills at that point although you should have provided a letter from the landlord granting her permission to live with you there when the visa is granted as part of your accommodation evidence.

It's really important not to rush into the visa application but to take your time and fully research the requirements because there is no obligation on the part of UKVI to request additional information. (It's just that they sometimes do.) The onus is on you to prove that you meet the requirements. That's just the way it is unfortunately.

Ah, apologies for the misunderstanding, I have a mortgage on my flat rather than renting, and I've added a personal statement that I allowed her to stay with me without having to pay (bit unfair to ask her to help pay off my mortgage!). Do you think that would be sufficient in this case?

And very much agreed, this particular issue was something we scratched our heads over for a while, we even got opinions from visa services such as Visalogic to try and get more confirmation on what we needed, as well as other aspects of the process. I do wish we paid the extra amount and had them submit for us in retrospect, if we have to go through it all again we definitely will.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »
Ah, apologies for the misunderstanding, I have a mortgage on my flat rather than renting, and I've added a personal statement that I allowed her to stay with me without having to pay (bit unfair to ask her to help pay off my mortgage!). Do you think that would be sufficient in this case?

And very much agreed, this particular issue was something we scratched our heads over for a while, we even got opinions from visa services such as Visalogic to try and get more confirmation on what we needed, as well as other aspects of the process. I do wish we paid the extra amount and had them submit for us in retrospect, if we have to go through it all again we definitely will.

Oh, ok, sorry, if it is your flat, then you don't need to specify that she can live there with you, that is assumed when she applies. You just need to provide proof of ownership in that case.

You seem to have been thorough with your research, I was just trying to make the point that UKVI will not definitely ask for further info,(but if what they need is missing, then they might.) 

We're always here to help too.  :)

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »
Oh, ok, sorry, if it is your flat, then you don't need to specify that she can live there with you, that is assumed when she applies. You just need to provide proof of ownership in that case.

You seem to have been thorough with your research, I was just trying to make the point that UKVI will not definitely ask for further info,(but if what they need is missing, then they might.) 

We're always here to help too.  :)

No problems at all, sorry for the mix up! We did provide the deeds for my flat, and my bank statements also show mortgage payments leaving my account every month so we hope that'll be us covered on that front.

And yes I completely understand, the UKVI aren't there to hold hands through the process, it's only slightly more likely they will get in touch if they feel you are missing something that other information indicates you would be able to supply, but they are not obligated to do so. Whenever I go into panic mode my mind instantly flairs up on how unfair it feels sometimes, but ultimately they are just trying to do their jobs. Tough pill to swallow when there's so much at stake is all!

Definitely, and I very much appreciate the existence of this forum and how nice and helpful those who use it are, I wish I had searched for this before submitting! Given how useful this has all been, my wife and I intend to contribute anything we can based off our experience, even after we (hopefully) get the response we're after :)

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 06:40:51 PM »
No problems at all, sorry for the mix up! We did provide the deeds for my flat, and my bank statements also show mortgage payments leaving my account every month so we hope that'll be us covered on that front.

And yes I completely understand, the UKVI aren't there to hold hands through the process, it's only slightly more likely they will get in touch if they feel you are missing something that other information indicates you would be able to supply, but they are not obligated to do so. Whenever I go into panic mode my mind instantly flairs up on how unfair it feels sometimes, but ultimately they are just trying to do their jobs. Tough pill to swallow when there's so much at stake is all!

Definitely, and I very much appreciate the existence of this forum and how nice and helpful those who use it are, I wish I had searched for this before submitting! Given how useful this has all been, my wife and I intend to contribute anything we can based off our experience, even after we (hopefully) get the response we're after :)

After a while that feeling of how unfair it all is sort of settles somewhere in the background and you just get used to sucking it up and jumping through all the hoops that UKVI puts in front of you.
It does get easier though, which is a good thing as this is going to go on for the next 5 years for you!

And we're happy to have you here!  :)

• Liked: 210
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »
And while you're waiting, fill out your Transfer of Residency application if you plan to ship anything to the UK. :D
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 17
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »
Hi everyone

Thanks

Hi there,

I did the same thing got married in 2014 in the uk using a marriage visa and applied for long term family visit 2 years after which just expired and I have been in the uk for 6 months in 2015 and 6 months in 2016, I did provide a copy of my visit visa to the uk and I am pretty sure they know when I entered and left.

Hopefully communication proof is not needed even though I can provide it if requested.

• Alors, tu te rappelleras tout ce que je te dis là
  • Liked: 150
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »

Hi there! I'm keeping track of April applicants...could you let me know when your application was received in Sheffield (when they e-mailed you) and whether you applied priority or non-priority? I would like to add you to the list. :)
Met UK 30/05/2016
Married US 03/03/2017
Applied spouse visa 17/04/2017
Decision 31/05/2017
**Visa Approved**

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab