Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: At what point are you considered "a brit"?  (Read 2377 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: At what point are you considered "a brit"?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 11:46:22 AM »
but scone is a funny one in that it can even change pronunciations depending on where in the country you live (in England), let alone from one country to the next.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 585
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 12:52:45 PM »
I've lived here for more than half my life, and I have a UK passport, so....  ;D  No prizes for guessing correctly!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:53:50 PM by Albatross »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
My daughter is American by birth but recognises American flags and says she's American.  She doesn't recognise a Union Jack or say she's British. I've told my husband that's his job to teach her.   :P

If you tell her she's American and British, she gets all moody and says, "No, I'm just American."   :D

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 01:14:55 PM »
My daughter is American by birth but recognises American flags and says she's American.  She doesn't recognise a Union Jack or say she's British. I've told my husband that's his job to teach her.   :P

If you tell her she's American and British, she gets all moody and says, "No, I'm just American."   :D

haha oh man. Has she lived in the UK her whole life? Or mixed?
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »
haha oh man. Has she lived in the UK her whole life? Or mixed?

She's just turned 3 and lived here her whole life.  Speaks the queens english.  Corrects my pronunciation all the time.  But calls herself American (and she is!).

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
haha that is interesting indeed! Just makes me fascinated to think about the thought process/factors that would play into that (for her or anybody haha I'm sure it's different things for different ages/backgrounds). I'm very curious how she doesn't recognise a union jack though!! hahaha
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 31
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
If Scotland voted to break off from the UK, would you still consider yourself "British" though? Or Scottish? Or English? I mean...I guess that one brings a LOAD more questions haha Like would there even be a term "British" or "Great Britain" at that point as that might prompt N.I. and/or Wales to follow suit lol

I don't consider must British now, and I'm certainly not English having never lived there or having any connection there. I voted for indy and am a UK citizen because there wasn't an option for Scottish citizenship! As I said, for me the word Scottish is for people from here, but Scot is a word for people who make their home here. You can be a Scot by choice, and that's what I am. I renounced my US citizenship, so I don't consider myself American. At most I'll say I used to be American or my dad was American but I'm not. I was born in Brasil and I'm definitely a Brazilian!
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
I identify with being American, British and Scottish.
(And like any good American mutt, I also have English, Welsh, German, and Native American heritage)
Well, I never realised that Scottish is a word for someone born here, so learning all the time.  So I'm, I guess I'm actually a Scot.  Though my friends all say "You're Scottish now".
My hubby has lived in Scotland since he was 2, but born in Newcastle.  He's parents strongly identify with being English, but hubby identifies as being 'British'. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »
My middle son was born in England and lived there until he was seven and is now 19. He still has a strong northern accent (despite being born in Reading) and clearly identifies himself as English. He's lived in the US for 13 years but he'll only tell people he's American when he needs to tell people or when they meet me.

My daughter was born in England too but she was only there until she was three and is now 16. There is NOTHING English about her at all. She has a Texan accent and when we visit her grandparents in "the north", she stands out like a sore thumb. She recently introduced her father to one of her teachers. He was shocked that she was 1/2 English. She sort of shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, if I HAVE to admit it, I will but I feel that I am 100% Texan".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 02:29:07 PM »
I identify with being American, British and Scottish.
(And like any good American mutt, I also have English, Welsh, German, and Native American heritage)
Well, I never realised that Scottish is a word for someone born here, so learning all the time.  So I'm, I guess I'm actually a Scot.  Though my friends all say "You're Scottish now".
My hubby has lived in Scotland since he was 2, but born in Newcastle.  He's parents strongly identify with being English, but hubby identifies as being 'British'.

haha I do have friends that have known me since first moving here that have heard my accent change - for example - or that my drinking has become ever more solid (LOL) and they do the whole "you're becoming English now!" thing.

I do know a guy I worked with remotely who lives in Scotland and he's SUPER Scottish! (it's funny though, as he's Asian and his last name is very Asian so the first time you speak to him you, it throws you off for a second! lol) He said he was born in England/is actually English but you wouldn't ever assume that as he's lived in Scotland the majority of his life and you wouldn't question if he was from anywhere other than Scotland.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 02:32:42 PM »
My middle son was born in England and lived there until he was seven and is now 19. He still has a strong northern accent (despite being born in Reading) and clearly identifies himself as English. He's lived in the US for 13 years but he'll only tell people he's American when he needs to tell people or when they meet me.

My daughter was born in England too but she was only there until she was three and is now 16. There is NOTHING English about her at all. She has a Texan accent and when we visit her grandparents in "the north", she stands out like a sore thumb. She recently introduced her father to one of her teachers. He was shocked that she was 1/2 English. She sort of shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, if I HAVE to admit it, I will but I feel that I am 100% Texan".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It must be funny in a way to have so many different accents coming under one household! LOL  Funny that he was born in Reading (Reddinnn') but sounds Northern! Love how night and day your kids sound (one identifying as one way and the other as another). Again, makes me so fascinated to study the factors behind why a person leans one way or another.
My, how time flies....

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 02:34:22 PM »
He said he was born in England/is actually English but you wouldn't ever assume that as he's lived in Scotland the majority of his life and you wouldn't question if he was from anywhere other than Scotland.

Oh, J definitely has a Highland accent. It's surprisingly not Invernesian, which has a certain twang, but it sure is generic Highland, with the tiniest twitch of Geordie. So he definitely sounds Scottish. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 35
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
Edit: My husband says I'll never truly be British, even as a citizen. Kind of the same way I was thinking - I don't have the cultural background to fully understand everything people say about their lives/past/history/culture. No matter how many times he shows me clips from old TV shows, I'll never really have any understanding of them. Not to mention my accent.

Suppose you moved to the UK in 2015. Now it's 2030. Do you think a 15 year old British kid (e.g. born in 2015) will always understand the culture more than you? Sorry, but I don't think that would be the case. There are people who are British and are out of the loop on many things - the things that generally don't interest them. If you are interested then I think you can quickly learn.

Once you become a citizen you will have it written down in black and white that your nationality is British. Show that to your husband.

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
lmao I don't think I could even tell the difference! I mostly speak to people in Glasgow/Edinburgh area and haven't heard anything drastically different as of yet so I probably would only register "scottish or not" and not actual dialects hahahah Is it very noticeably different?
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 31
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »
Phatbeetle, this isn't an official thing, just my personal definition. For background, my husband used to be an early mediaeval historian and archaeologist, and told me about the interesting use of words between England and Scotland in the early second millennium wherein the king down south was King of England but up here he was King of Scots. This implied that the king in England was ruler of the land, while the king in Scotland was leader of the people who lived on the land, and this lives on today in the Claim of Right, which states that the people of Scotland are sovereign, as opposed to the UK, which states that parliament is sovereign. During indyref, one of his lecturers, who is from the south of England but pro-indy, said in a radio interview that while he couldn't be a Scot because he wasn't from here he could be and was Scottish because he made his home here, but later realised that it made more sense the other way around, and I take it from that.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab