Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: At what point are you considered "a brit"?  (Read 2362 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: At what point are you considered "a brit"?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »
Suppose you moved to the UK in 2015. Now it's 2030. Do you think a 15 year old British kid (e.g. born in 2015) will always understand the culture more than you? Sorry, but I don't think that would be the case. There are people who are British and are out of the loop on many things - the things that generally don't interest them. If you are interested then I think you can quickly learn.

Once you become a citizen you will have it written down in black and white that your nationality is British. Show that to your husband.

Just wanted to add that, comparing my English husband's past to mine, there were minor differences such as a few shows here and there things like different drinking ages, but I wouldn't say our cultures were all that wildly different. Maybe that's because of where I was in the US compared to where I was in the UK? I don't think having the cultural background first-hand necessarily makes or breaks it, but that's obviously just my personal opinion. I think it's more about how immersed you are in the society than how long you've been there.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 59
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »
Once you become a citizen you will have it written down in black and white that your nationality is British. Show that to your husband.

He knows that ;) I put the question to him as "Will British people ever consider me British?" and that's why his answer was no. Not so much citizenship/legalese but more in a sense of "belonging".

but I wouldn't say our cultures were all that wildly different. Maybe that's because of where I was in the US compared to where I was in the UK?
I think in my case a lot of it is that there's a large age difference between me and the husband, and also a pretty significant socio-economic one. So we have extremely different backgrounds.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:07:32 PM by brenzie »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 04:30:06 PM »
He knows that ;) I put the question to him as "Will British people ever consider me British?" and that's why his answer was no. Not so much citizenship/legalese but more in a sense of "belonging".
I think in my case a lot of it is that there's a large age difference between me and the husband, and also a pretty significant socio-economic one. So we have extremely different backgrounds.

My husband and I are close in age and similar socio-economic status.  He also says I won't *really* be British after I naturalise.  He also says our daughter isn't *really* American.

He also can't make a decision about our nearly one month old child's name...  so basically he's very smart and I adore him...  but he's an idiot!   ;D

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 04:38:03 PM »
I always think of myself as a part of Britain, but I'm just not British.  Citizenship or not, I'm just not.  But, If Sting can be an Englishman in New York than I can be the same over here.  I've got a place here, but it's not as a citizen. 

I guess my kids will have to define thier own roles, especially after they each get thier third passport.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »
DrSuperL99, ahh, interesting! 

x0Kiss0fDeath, och, aye, Scottish accents are wide and varied and interesting and lovely. Just like the people! ;)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 70
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 04:42:59 PM »
It completely depends on context and who I'm speaking with and about what.  It's more slowly happened than being a granted a certificate and feeling or calling myself any one thing.  My family thinks I'm very British now.  My friends here think I'm still quite American.  I feel a mix of belong both places and neither place completely.

My sentence structure and modern points of reference are British.  The actual words I use and childhood points of reference are American.  I know the process for purchasing property, adore British news in comparison, and know what the brown road signs mean; however I don't get Magic Roundabout references, think "you guys" is a valid way to address people (I tried "Oi, mate!" but my husband wasn't impressed), and I certainly did not get excited about the Crystal Maze remake.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2017, 04:47:38 PM »

He also can't make a decision about our nearly one month old child's name.
It's your fault I've got this song stuck in my head:

I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.  It felt good to be out of the rain.  In the desert, you can remember your name....

I've been singing that in the shower in honour of your baby with no name.

• Liked: 223
Re: At what part are you considered "a brit"?
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »
I've been thinking about this more and realised that while I consider myself British in my mind but when I'm asked where I'm from, I say I live in London. Maybe it's dodging the question a bit, but it is the truth.  ;)

We just got back from 6 months in Europe (we left just before the US election) and after the results, I told DH we would just keep it simple... we're both British (which we are). No need to complicate it by saying I'm American, too. I'd rather talk about Brexit than Trump. ::)

What boxes need to be ticked to be considered British in your opinions? (sorry to get super deep haha I'm half awake with most of my coffee still in my cup...

Looks like you might need to switch to tea to tick one box on the British-ness list.  ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 21
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »
Like jimbocz mentioned, I'm just not British. At all. In fact, I'd say my American identity is something that's become stronger since moving to the UK (back in the US, I never gave it a second thought). It's not something I go around flaunting, rather it's something that's very personal to me. I'll probably always be an outsider here, but I don't mind.

I haven't changed. I still talk the same, have the same ideas/beliefs (though maybe a bit more open minded and accepting of things now vs. before I moved ;)), etc.... I dunno, I'm just me! Though I do have a better understanding of British slang words and some cultural references now  ;)

My husband's English uncle has lived in the US for over 10 years. He's happily settled there, and is still very English. He's said that he doesn't consider himself American in the least!
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 134
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 07:53:19 PM »
My husband's English uncle has lived in the US for over 10 years. He's happily settled there, and is still very English. He's said that he doesn't consider himself American in the least!

Similarly, my husband's aunt has lived in Italy since the 60s but still thinks of herself as British.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 08:45:47 PM »

Looks like you might need to switch to tea to tick one box on the British-ness list.  ;)

You say that but you'd be surprised at the amount of people I know here that take coffee not tea! Haha my husband is one of them and my mom would always tease him about having tea ready for his visit and stuff and he likes to pull the "don't be racist! We don't allllll drink tea!" Card hah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
Like jimbocz mentioned, I'm just not British. At all. In fact, I'd say my American identity is something that's become stronger since moving to the UK (back in the US, I never gave it a second thought). It's not something I go around flaunting, rather it's something that's very personal to me. I'll probably always be an outsider here, but I don't mind.

I haven't changed. I still talk the same, have the same ideas/beliefs (though maybe a bit more open minded and accepting of things now vs. before I moved ;)), etc.... I dunno, I'm just me! Though I do have a better understanding of British slang words and some cultural references now  ;)

Out of curiosity, would you or your friends or family say that you've developed an accent? Or would you say that this too more or less has stayed the same?

My, how time flies....

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »
It's your fault I've got this song stuck in my head:

I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.  It felt good to be out of the rain.  In the desert, you can remember your name....

I've been singing that in the shower in honour of your baby with no name.

You probably shouldn't do anything in the shower in honour of anybody's baby! Just sounds wrong! Haha

My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links