Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marriage Visa Granted. What Might I Expect at the Border Upon Arrival?  (Read 1530 times)

• Liked: 14
Hi All,

On Monday the 15th of May, I received the Entry Clearance vignette in my passport.
I booked a one-way ticket to Manchester for Thursday evening, with arrival expected bright and early Friday morning.

What will I be expected to show at the border, in addition to my entry clearance?
Will my packet of returned documents from the Home Office suffice?
Since the application, confirmation of biometric appointment, and sponsorship undertaking form were not returned with my other documents, do I need to acquire copies of the same?  Will I be subject to a lengthy interrogation, after the already-stressful application process?

I only ask because, several years back, my stepfather arrived in the US to join my mum (he is Canadian). Despite has having received a marriage visa, he was stopped at the US border for a lengthy period (about 2 hours) while every document from his application packet was reviewed by the border agent. Is this a common occurrence in the UK?

Additionally, I should ask: how ought I to fill out my entry card? It asks for duration of visit, but I am coming in with a marriage visa, and Ross and I plan to apply for our spousal visa upon marrying in August. Was it unwise to book a one-way flight, instead of a round-trip flight?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Love and positive energy,

Rachel

• Liked: 6110
Hi All,

On Monday the 15th of May, I received the Entry Clearance vignette in my passport.
I booked a one-way ticket to Manchester for Thursday evening, with arrival expected bright and early Friday morning.

What will I be expected to show at the border, in addition to my entry clearance?
Will my packet of returned documents from the Home Office suffice?
Since the application, confirmation of biometric appointment, and sponsorship undertaking form were not returned with my other documents, do I need to acquire copies of the same?  Will I be subject to a lengthy interrogation, after the already-stressful application process?

I only ask because, several years back, my stepfather arrived in the US to join my mum (he is Canadian). Despite has having received a marriage visa, he was stopped at the US border for a lengthy period (about 2 hours) while every document from his application packet was reviewed by the border agent. Is this a common occurrence in the UK?

Additionally, I should ask: how ought I to fill out my entry card? It asks for duration of visit, but I am coming in with a marriage visa, and Ross and I plan to apply for our spousal visa upon marrying in August. Was it unwise to book a one-way flight, instead of a round-trip flight?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Love and positive energy,

Rachel

When my husband arrived there were no questions at all, just "welcome to the UK". They might ask you something about your wedding plans or where your husband is, he should ideally be there to meet you.

Although it used to specify on the website that you should travel with your application package, that's no longer there as far as I know and I've never heard of anyone being asked to produce anything other than their visa.
I brought mine in hand luggage in any case as it was the safest place for it.

Forget about your stepfather's experience, it's not relevant to this country.  :)

• Liked: 6110
Sorry, missed the end of your question!

It's fine to book a one way ticket although most people seem to find that they are more expensive than round trip.

You can put indefinitely on the landing card. The ECO will see that you have a fiance visa and that is meant for someone who intends to marry in the UK and stay here afterwords.  :)

• Liked: 4985
Yup, they'll only ask questions you'll be able to answer.  Such as what's your fiancés name, what does he do, when will you marry, that kind of thing.

The hard part is over.  No need to stress from here on out. 

• Liked: 424
I came in on a spousal visa and put indefinitely on the entry card, it was a most pleasant entry I must say. I as well was carrying my application package simply because it was the safest place!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 14
Thank you.

I'd like to insert the vignette from my passport to make sure everything is in order, but I cannot figure out how to post an image from my computer. :(

~~Rachel~~

• Liked: 116
Thank you.

I'd like to insert the vignette from my passport to make sure everything is in order, but I cannot figure out how to post an image from my computer. :(

~~Rachel~~

As long as they got your name and photo correct, and your fiance's name right, and it hasn't expired, you are fine!

Don't worry, the entry is easy.  They asked me a few questions about my husband and make pleasant chit chat about the area we live in.  Not hard at all, and I have previous visa refusals and visas on my record.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

Thank you.

~~Rachel~~

Really really, the hard part is over!  I promise!  We haven't led you wrong yet, right?   ;)

• Liked: 134
I come and go several times a years- sometimes without my husband- and I never have a problem getting back in.  When my husband is not present, they sometimes ask if we are still married, but otherwise it is super easy.

You will still need to fill out a landing card when you arrive but putting 'indefinite' is more than acceptable.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 79
If you're going to be living there indefinitely and hold a US passport, pay the 75 quid to become a registered traveler. No landing card. No immigration. You can use the electronic gates coming through. Just be sure to log your trips so you have an accurate travel history for FLR(M)!

I also want to note that if you do go down the Registered Traveler route and its your first time entering the country on a visa, you have to go through the traditional immigration way. But at airports like Heathrow, you can use the "VIP" immigration desk off to the side.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:00:44 PM by anxiousandwaiting »

• Liked: 97
My expirence was nice and easy. They asked me where we got married and the date. The address we would be living his date of birth and his name.  Then she made some jokes about him not having a middle name and that was it.

Get excited you are just hours away basically!!!!
Met Dublin Ireland- July 2013
Long distance from November 2014-2016
Married 😍 in NYC :6th of January 2017
Spouse Visa Approved!! : 27th of February 2017
Moved to UK: 28th of April 2017

Applied FLR(M)-  12th January 2020
Biometrics- 20th of January 2020

• Liked: 60
When I arrived on my fiancee visa I did get asked a lot of questions by the immigration officer, but none of it was like a grilling or anything. When he asked me "where is your husband now?" I didn't understand and said "hopefully on the other side of that wall!" Oops, he meant "does he live in the UK"....  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

When I said what city he lived in the officer did ask me very snarkily, "have you BEEN there?" (Not as in curious whether I'd seen his flat, but rather implying that it is a ****hole) Yeah, I know it's not a very nice place to live, but hey ho....

I also got told by the officer and at least two other people "It's not too late!" Why do people think that's funny?

I also got told by the officer and at least two other people "It's not too late!" Why do people think that's funny?

Eh, one of those things.

Right there with telling a new mother that her baby isn't smiling and it's just gas.  Here is a poor woman who's body was invaded by a parasite for 9 months, destroyed anything left on its way out, and has been keeping her up all night - let the poor woman have a SMILE from her baby.

In other words, people have no filter and like to rain on your parade if you are happy.  It's them, not you!!

• Liked: 1892
Not to sound too harsh, but people say that because they are happy for you , not to rain on your parade.  They see you are in a good place and want to join in the fun.  Don't worry, this winter when it's dark at 4 pm and everyone is scowling and coughing on you, you'll be wishing someone would crack a joke.

Not to sound too harsh, but people say that because they are happy for you , not to rain on your parade.  They see you are in a good place and want to join in the fun.  Don't worry, this winter when it's dark at 4 pm and everyone is scowling and coughing on you, you'll be wishing someone would crack a joke.

Okay, there is truth to the saying things in jest!

Sponsored Links