Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Upgrading to Priority Retroactively  (Read 891 times)

• Liked: 3
Upgrading to Priority Retroactively
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:35:42 AM »
Hi all, looking to get some advice on upgrading to priority retroactively.

I'm 6 weeks into my application and it still isn't under review. I've tried escalating on emergency grounds. They are "working on it." I NEED to get to the UK within 5 weeks time or my future and the future of my family will be drastically changed.

For those who sent a non priority and upgraded to priority, can you provide me with any news on the effectiveness? Any prior refusals who upgraded retroactively? Any advice on upgrading to priority after the fact is wanted.

Thanks!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Upgrading to Priority Retroactively
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:30:10 AM »
Hi all, looking to get some advice on upgrading to priority retroactively.

I'm 6 weeks into my application and it still isn't under review. I've tried escalating on emergency grounds. They are "working on it." I NEED to get to the UK within 5 weeks time or my future and the future of my family will be drastically changed.

For those who sent a non priority and upgraded to priority, can you provide me with any news on the effectiveness? Any prior refusals who upgraded retroactively? Any advice on upgrading to priority after the fact is wanted.

Thanks!

One member has described how they successfully did the upgrade here. 

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=90536.msg1173707#msg1173707

But you should also read the subsequent comments regarding the fact that officially, it is not permitted and thus, it's a gamble although I realize you are already aware of that.
Good luck. :)

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:48:49 PM »
Looks like those who did upgrade successfully might have gotten their visas and therefore don't go on the forum anymore?

I've called the home office twice. Once they said I couldn't upgrade and once they said I could! Can never get a straight answer from the call center 🙄

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Looks like those who did upgrade successfully might have gotten their visas and therefore don't go on the forum anymore?

I've called the home office twice. Once they said I couldn't upgrade and once they said I could! Can never get a straight answer from the call center 🙄

You are not going to get a straight answer that you can because it isn't policy to do so.
I think you just need to decide if you are prepared to take the risk of potentially loosing $700. If you are , follow the instructions I linked to above provided by one of our members who managed to get the upgrade.
If not, which is completely understandable, then just try to let that idea go.

I realize it's a huge dilemma but only you can decide.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 84
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 02:28:11 PM »
I upgraded retroactively and got a decision email on Monday.  The documents are scheduled to be delivered today, but I don't know what the decision is yet. 

My lease is up and I have a child too, so did not want to be separated from my little boy!

My timeline:

30 March - biometrics
10 April - sent to Sheffield
13 April - received by Sheffield
16 May - upgraded to priority
22 May - Decision email
24 May (today) - scheduled delivery (so ANXIOUS ABOUT THIS)

Let me know if you have any other questions!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:26:18 PM by purplepeopleeater »
Documents sent 10 April
Received: 13 April
Decision email: 22 May

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies to you both.

Purplepeopleeater, good luck!!!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »
You are not going to get a straight answer that you can because it isn't policy to do so.
I think you just need to decide if you are prepared to take the risk of potentially loosing $700. If you are , follow the instructions I linked to above provided by one of our members who managed to get the upgrade.
If not, which is completely understandable, then just try to let that idea go.

I realize it's a huge dilemma but only you can decide.  :-\\\\

This.  100%.

The official guidance is that you cannot upgrade.  It's in black and white on the webpage.  And the call centre is useless at the best of times.

It truly needs to be a personal decision.  It's a gamble and HAS worked for some.  But definitely no guarantee.  Only you can decide if it's worth $700.  You may upgrade and have a decision tomorrow.  Or you may upgrade and not have a decision for months.  I wish we had a crystal ball for you!   :-\\\\

• Liked: 75
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 04:06:41 PM »
So we called again and asked to speak to a supervisor who was adamant we CAN NOT upgrade. She said that all it does is move our app to the top of the pile (duh) and ours was already being assessed...so we would be paying for nothing.

Was she fobbing us off or...I doubt they're assessing our email right now. So upsetting.
Married December 8, 2007
1st Application Submitted: February 8, 2017
1st Application Decision: February 16, 2017: (refused due to missing information)
-
2nd Online application submitted April 30, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK May 4, 2017
UPS Tracking Delivered to Sheffield May 8, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield May 15, 2017
Retroactive Upgrade to Priority*: June 2, 2017
Decision Made on Tracker: July 1, 2017
Decision Made Email: July 3, 2017

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 04:17:53 PM »
So we called again and asked to speak to a supervisor who was adamant we CAN NOT upgrade. She said that all it does is move our app to the top of the pile (duh) and ours was already being assessed...so we would be paying for nothing.

Was she fobbing us off or...I doubt they're assessing our email right now. So upsetting.

I'm of the opinion that you can't trust anything from the call centre whether by phone or email.

I personally wouldn't gamble $700 for the upgrade but that's me.  You have to decide what the right choice for you is.  I really wish I had a crystal ball for all of you!

• Liked: 253
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »
I've talked to a lot of the people who have said they retroactively upgraded; and a month ago, it seemed pretty positive. Most people were being told "oh it's totally fine" when they called the centre.

In the past two weeks-ish, I've been seeing the second wave of people trying the same thing at the call centre. They're all getting mostly mixed reviews. Some say "yes", some say "no", some say "no" then "yes".

I tried calling a couple days ago, and they seemed to waffle about whether they do it or not.

It seems to be a gamble no matter what because Sheffield could just not honour it even if the call centre says that it is fine. But for those who did it successfully, their apps seem to be processed on par with their non-priority counterparts. (Some say quicker, but I haven't really seen anywhere that was the case.)

Ultimately, the decision is up to you whether to risk it or not. I think it's a noble choice to try or to stick with the application as is. However, I completely understand needing to be back. I wish you luck with your choice.  ;D

Edited for correct grammar.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:21:18 PM by solaire129 »
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Alors, tu te rappelleras tout ce que je te dis là
  • Liked: 150
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »
I've talked to a lot of the people who have said they retroactively upgraded, and a month ago, it seemed pretty positive. Most people were being told "oh it's totally fine" when they called the centre.

In the past two weeks-ish, I've been seeing the second wave of people trying the same thing at the call centre. They're all getting mostly mixed reviews. Some say "yes", some say "no", some say "no" then "yes".

I tried calling a couple days ago, and they seemed to waffle about whether they do it or not.

It seems to be a gamble no matter what because Sheffield could just not honour it even if the call centre says that it is fine. But for those who did it successfully, their apps seem to be processed on par with their non-priority counterparts. (Some say quicker, but I haven't really seen anywhere that was the case.)

Ultimately, the decision is up to you whether to risk it or not. I think it's a noble choice to try or to stick with the application as is. However, I completely understand needing to be back. Ultimately, I wish you luck with your choice.  ;D

Well, at least one user did get processed like a priority from her time frame -- purplepeopleeater, who applied April 13 but only upgraded IIRC a couple of weeks ago.
Met UK 30/05/2016
Married US 03/03/2017
Applied spouse visa 17/04/2017
Decision 31/05/2017
**Visa Approved**

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
Well, at least one user did get processed like a priority from her time frame -- purplepeopleeater, who applied April 13 but only upgraded IIRC a couple of weeks ago.

I agree, but one is not indicative of a trend.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »
I agree, but one is not indicative of a trend.

I didn't say it was -- I'm pretty sure there are other examples from March, though, but don't have them off-hand.
Met UK 30/05/2016
Married US 03/03/2017
Decision 31/05/2017
**Visa Approved**

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 04:32:47 PM »
I didn't say it was -- I'm pretty sure there are other examples from March, though, but don't have them off-hand.

I didn't say that you did.:)

It's just that since I had started my list only one person had switched and gotten a result so she's a (lucky) outlier.;D So I hadn't seen anything to really say that there was a trend towards that statement.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 04:34:33 PM »
I didn't say that you did.:)

It's just that since I had started my list only one person had switched and gotten a result so she's a (lucky) outlier.;D So I hadn't seen anything to really say that there was a trend towards that statement.

Unfortunately I didn't keep track of who upgraded when I went through all the March timeline posts...and I don't think I have the wherewithal to do it again. :-| I guess we'll have to see how hawkphx's application is processed compared to those around hers.
Met UK 30/05/2016
Married US 03/03/2017
Decision 31/05/2017
**Visa Approved**

Sponsored Links